Opinion Which players are worth pick 1?

Who would you trade this year's first pick for?

• De Goey

Votes: 82 30.4%
  • Bontempelli

Votes: 207 76.7%
  • P.Cripps

Votes: 218 80.7%
  • L.Neale

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • D.Martin

Votes: 157 58.1%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 152 56.3%
  • J.Cameron

Votes: 130 48.1%
  • T.Greene

Votes: 45 16.7%
  • C.Cameron

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • H.Andrews

Votes: 47 17.4%
  • L.Whitfield

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Dangerfield

Votes: 66 24.4%
  • B.Brown

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • A.Naughton

Votes: 62 23.0%
  • C.Rozee

Votes: 38 14.1%
  • J.Gresham

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • N.Blakey

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • J.McGovern

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • B.Grundy

Votes: 141 52.2%
  • Max Gawn

Votes: 54 20.0%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 65 24.1%
  • Josh Kelly

Votes: 99 36.7%
  • Isaac Heeney

Votes: 36 13.3%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 82 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Taranto needs more love. Went 2 in his draft and has absolutely dominated from the getgo and exceded expectations. In hindsight he would go number 1 in just about any of the drafts in the last 5 years, with Walsh his only rival.

I personally think Naughton is worth pick one. There's enough exposed AFL form as a 19 year old CHF that warrants it IMO.
I think this discussion is pretty hypothetical. Trading after all is about filling a need.

GWS for example would give pick 1 in a heartbeat for Gawn or Grundy.
Hawthorn would probably give it up for Whitfield.
Essendon would likely hand it over for Jeremy Cameron.
Bulldogs might think about it for Charlie Cameron.

Like Dangerfield to Geelong a few years back, and Neale at the Lions or Lynch at the Tiges this year, a good trade can catapult you into the top four or into a grand final.

Would swap pick 1 for Rozee without a 2nd thought. Can only assume you didnt watch many Port games.
No.
Seen more than enough to pass judgment. He’s good for sure, just not the type of player that I’d give up pick 1 for. C.Cameron the same boat...

Personally I'd think the only types of players worth a #1 pick would be need to be 25 and under with 7-8 good years of footy left and already top 5/10 in the league. Cripps, Bont for me.

A team with a #1 pick usually just finish bottom, so they're s**t. No point putting someone like Dusty or Danger on the Suns as they wouldn't be winning anything in the next few years before they would retire.

Don't see anyone over 24 / 25 being a straight trade for #1 except maybe Jeremy Cameron.

The two standouts for me are Bontempelli & Cripps, absolute stars at 23 / 24 who are both leaders and guys you build your midfield around. Cripps' game is built for finals, and Bontempelli has already proven he's a matchwinner.

Josh Kelly is a star but his finals form hasn't stacked up for me as yet to put him up with those two, but I'd probably do #1 for Kelly still. Jeremy Cameron at 26 is getting outside the age bracket I'd want, but he's the clear standout forward in the comp to build a team around.

Edit: Almost forgot Grundy. Would do #1 for him.

The number 1 pick is projected to be the best pick of the crop....You also have the entire crop from which to chose ...Hence it's desirability & significance.

There are currently 5 players who could win you a big final off their own boot, being proven match-winners in that context: Martin, Fyfe, Cripps, Bontempelli & J. Cameron.

It's not rocket science.....That's what you would pay a number 1 pick for.

de goey not in that class?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen him live, does exceptional stuff, will be a gun, be really surprised if he's not the best player from last year.
He will be if he doesn't hit the wall that every other Port elite kid hits.... we have a habit of that.

Back