Opinion Which players are worth pick 1?

Who would you trade this year's first pick for?

• De Goey

Votes: 82 30.4%
  • Bontempelli

Votes: 207 76.7%
  • P.Cripps

Votes: 218 80.7%
  • L.Neale

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • D.Martin

Votes: 157 58.1%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 152 56.3%
  • J.Cameron

Votes: 130 48.1%
  • T.Greene

Votes: 45 16.7%
  • C.Cameron

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • H.Andrews

Votes: 47 17.4%
  • L.Whitfield

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Dangerfield

Votes: 66 24.4%
  • B.Brown

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • A.Naughton

Votes: 62 23.0%
  • C.Rozee

Votes: 38 14.1%
  • J.Gresham

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • N.Blakey

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • J.McGovern

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • B.Grundy

Votes: 141 52.2%
  • Max Gawn

Votes: 54 20.0%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 65 24.1%
  • Josh Kelly

Votes: 99 36.7%
  • Isaac Heeney

Votes: 36 13.3%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 82 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Aaron Naughton surely. Has a 19 yo ever been this good? Would struggle to believe any player over 26 would be worth a pick 1.

Naughton is a promising kid, but another bloke born in the same year as him in Worpel, just won the Hawthorn Best & Fairest.....And he still won't get you the number one pick as yet.....A greater body of work required for both of them as yet.

Both of Martin & Fyfe would still command the number 1 slot, as they are the 2 elite match-winners in the comp.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Aaron Naughton surely. Has a 19 yo ever been this good? Would struggle to believe any player over 26 would be worth a pick 1.
Has a 19yo ever been this good... sorry mate I rate Naughton but this is a joke? Ever heard of Chris Judd? Lance Franklin? Jeremy Cameron? All unarguably better. That’s without going back more than 20 years. If he comes out next year with 60+ and bags 7 in a final then we’ll start talking.

As for ‘best ever 19 year old’. Leigh Matthews had a pretty commanding 1972 season including 500+ disposals, 42 goals, 10 Brownlow votes and club best and fairest. Sure there have been other good efforts, too.

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Personally I'd think the only types of players worth a #1 pick would be need to be 25 and under with 7-8 good years of footy left and already top 5/10 in the league. Cripps, Bont for me.

A team with a #1 pick usually just finish bottom, so they're s**t. No point putting someone like Dusty or Danger on the Suns as they wouldn't be winning anything in the next few years before they would retire.
You never know, a contending team (or mid table) may end up with the number one pick at some stage, now that we're trading future picks.

I think Pick 1 tends to be pretty overrated sometimes. You look at all the number 1 picks going back to 2000:

Riewoldt, Hodge, Goddard, Cooney, Deledio, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Watts, Scully, Swallow, Patton, Whitfield, Boyd, McCartin, Weitering, McGrath, Raynor and Walsh.

Only Hodge, Riewoldt and Whitfield are truly elite. After 1 season, Walsh is looking likely that he'll join that group. That's 4 out of 19. Pretty far from getting a guaranteed star. Sure, a fair chunk of the rest have been pretty decent, but not any better than some taken at lower picks.

Surely, you'd trade pick 1 for most of the people in the OP's list.

Walsh is a pretty interesting one, as he's a former Pick 1 with only 1 season. Given the year he had, you'd have to take him over chancing your arm that Rowell would be significantly better?

As the number one pick is usually the domain of the bottom side, you'd be silly not to pick the youngest stars but also KP players as it's usually a given that a rebuild is required.
Therefore:
Naughton 1
H Andrews 2
Bont 3
Cripps 4

Aaron Naughton surely. Has a 19 yo ever been this good?

Read your Doggies history, at least.

Chris Grant kicked 51 goals in his first season as a 17yo.

Had 2 x 50+ seasons before he was 20!

:eek:

And yes.... I know Naughton played his first season as a (very impressive) defender.

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Read your Doggies history, at least.

Chris Grant kicked 51 goals in his first season as a 17yo.

Had 2 x 50+ seasons before he was 20!

:eek:

And yes.... I know Naughton played his first season as a (very impressive) defender.

Yes Carey and Grant were the two who arguably would be better.

1990 and 1991 goals were a lot easier to score than they are in 2019.

Not sure a 19 yo has played a good a game as the one against Richmond last year though.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I think Pick 1 tends to be pretty overrated sometimes. You look at all the number 1 picks going back to 2000:

Riewoldt, Hodge, Goddard, Cooney, Deledio, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Watts, Scully, Swallow, Patton, Whitfield, Boyd, McCartin, Weitering, McGrath, Raynor and Walsh.

Only Hodge, Riewoldt and Whitfield are truly elite. After 1 season, Walsh is looking likely that he'll join that group. That's 4 out of 19. Pretty far from getting a guaranteed star. Sure, a fair chunk of the rest have been pretty decent, but not any better than some taken at lower picks.

Walsh is a pretty interesting one, as he's a former Pick 1 with only 1 season. Given the year he had, you'd have to take him over chancing your arm that Rowell would be significantly better?

The way I look at draft pick 1 is that your basically guaranteed baring injury problems to have a 200+ game A grader. It’s an insurance policy rather than a genuine star.

If you look at the hit and miss rate for draft picks 3-5 you will see a lot of duds. Pick 1 is just a much bigger insurance policy of a quality player. Not a guaranteed star

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

That is unbelievable. You think on the back of being a number 1 pick and one decent year, that it's already a given that Walsh will outstrip several club captains and brownlow winners?

Don't forget Andy McGrath is also a rising star (who for the record, I still think is a good player).

That is unbelievable. You think on the back of being a number 1 pick and one decent year, that it's already a given that Walsh will outstrip several club captains and brownlow winners?

Don't forget Andy McGrath is also a rising star (who for the record, I still think is a good player).
Several club captains and brownlow winners? What the * are you on about? The only Brownlow winner from that group is Cooney, and he assed it. He doesn't even come close to the other three (Hodge, Roo and Whit). The only club captain outside of Hodge and Roo is Murphy, and again doesn't come close. That makes one brownlow winner and one club captain and yeh, I think Walsh can be better than them both.

McGrath? * me, that's not even worth commenting on.

Edit: Goddard was token Captain in 2016 when they literally had no-one else and Swallow was co-captain this year. My point still stands.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Several club captains and brownlow winners? What the fu** are you on about? The only Brownlow winner from that group is Cooney, and he assed it. He doesn't even come close to the other three (Hodge, Roo and Whit). The only club captain outside of Hodge and Roo is Murphy, and again doesn't come close. That makes one brownlow winner and one club captain and yeh, I think Walsh can be better than them both.

McGrath? fu** me, that's not even worth commenting on.

Edit: Goddard was token Captain in 2016 when they literally had no-one else and Swallow was co-captain this year. My point still stands.
Your point still stands... that Walsh is already mixing it with the likes of Riewoldt and Hodge? Get a life.

And why isn’t my point about McGrath worth comment. This time 2017 he was in the same boat as Walsh is now, and yet somehow he’s not on your list of players destined to be all time greats.

Even Whitfield has done nothing. Going into a grand final I’d rather take Deledio, Goddard or Cooney at their peak.

Back