Prediction Which players fight their way back first?

Who breaks back into the team first?

• Nick Suban

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Clancee Pearce

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Matt De Boer

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Tendai Mzungu

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A little off-topic, but I thought it might be worth mentioning this here seeing as we're talking about who's next to come back in.

Spoke to David Hale on Talking Dockers this morning (nice bloke) - had some interesting things to say about that inside mid role. I asked him what role he expected to see Brady Grey have tomorrow seeing as he had mentioned him a couple of times, and he is the development coach for the forwards (as well as working with Anthony Rock with the midfielders as Hale takes the ruck also), and he said that Brady would be used more as an inside mid type player with stints up forward. Very interesting as most of us here see Brady as that old-fashioned style back pocket player, especially after that job he did on Chad Wingard in Rd 23 last year.

If Brady is getting a run, and Connor Blakely is close to selection, and there's still Mundy who can play inside, and we have the best in the business in Fyfe, and another guy who is approaching A-grade status in Neale, and still Barlow whose best position is inside mid... can't see there being much room for Suban or deBoer in there at all. Also means that they can drop Mundy back to that half back role that say Burgoyne plays, without losing too much from the middle, but that then makes it hard for Mzungu and Clancee to get a look in.

If we are able to move forward without any of these guys forcing their way back in, then we are on a better path IMO.

[I also asked him about Tanner Smith - said he was drafted as a backman, and had played most of his footy for Freo/Peel down back so far, but he was getting some games up forward. What's the story? He said that they see a lot of potential in Tanner as a forward - he has a big tank, a decent set of hands, good lateral movement. I just wonder if he'll get a go as Pav's off-sider at some point during the season. Be good to see what he can do.]

I reckon they probably see Apeness in that role and Tanner as the contingency plan.

As far as Brady playing inside mid and forward that surprises me; perhaps It indicates Walters and Ballas will stay forward tomorrow.

A little off-topic, but I thought it might be worth mentioning this here seeing as we're talking about who's next to come back in.

Spoke to David Hale on Talking Dockers this morning (nice bloke) - had some interesting things to say about that inside mid role. I asked him what role he expected to see Brady Grey have tomorrow seeing as he had mentioned him a couple of times, and he is the development coach for the forwards (as well as working with Anthony Rock with the midfielders as Hale takes the ruck also), and he said that Brady would be used more as an inside mid type player with stints up forward. Very interesting as most of us here see Brady as that old-fashioned style back pocket player, especially after that job he did on Chad Wingard in Rd 23 last year.

If Brady is getting a run, and Connor Blakely is close to selection, and there's still Mundy who can play inside, and we have the best in the business in Fyfe, and another guy who is approaching A-grade status in Neale, and still Barlow whose best position is inside mid... can't see there being much room for Suban or deBoer in there at all. Also means that they can drop Mundy back to that half back role that say Burgoyne plays, without losing too much from the middle, but that then makes it hard for Mzungu and Clancee to get a look in.

If we are able to move forward without any of these guys forcing their way back in, then we are on a better path IMO.

[I also asked him about Tanner Smith - said he was drafted as a backman, and had played most of his footy for Freo/Peel down back so far, but he was getting some games up forward. What's the story? He said that they see a lot of potential in Tanner as a forward - he has a big tank, a decent set of hands, good lateral movement. I just wonder if he'll get a go as Pav's off-sider at some point during the season. Be good to see what he can do.]
From today match observation , Smith is pretty good got good hand in ruck also he really surprised me, hale said Brady is very versatile for current modern game when you ask the question. If possible next time ask about uebergang I am a big fan even Hale said he is delist material.

From today match observation , Smith is pretty good got good hand in ruck also he really surprised me, hale said Brady is very versatile for current modern game when you ask the question. If possible next time ask about uebergang I am a big fan even Hale said he is delist material.

Hale said Uebergang is delist material ?
We just rookie listed him. I cant believe he'd say that.

Hale said Uebergang is delist material ?
We just rookie listed him. I cant believe he'd say that.
Nah I just said I am a big fan even if Hale said he is delist material , he got potential but lack tank see him sitting out a long time in 3 quater today.

Yeah that's a bit dodgy meima
Sorry because of my English , I just want imperial purple to ask Hale about uebergang next time, and said will still be a fan of uebergang even if Hale give negative comment who I think Hale won't do it on radio .

Sorry because of my English , I just want imperial purple to ask Hale about uebergang next time, and said will still be a fan of uebergang even if Hale give negative comment who I think Hale won't do it on radio .
Not sure who our next phone guest will be, but remind me on the Talking Dockers thread on Friday and I'll ask whoever we get to chat to what they think of him and where he's at at the moment.

Not sure who our next phone guest will be, but remind me on the Talking Dockers thread on Friday and I'll ask whoever we get to chat to what they think of him and where he's at at the moment.
Thanks , but I think his biggest weakness is his tank.

Thanks , but I think his biggest weakness is his tank.

Not too sure what you meant by tank. I'm guessing it's either fitness (ability to run the entire match) or physical size (muscles and stuff).

Either shouldn't be considered a fatal flaw for a 21 yr old, especially if he display good fundamental skills. Fitness and physicality will come with time with a good conditioning program, as long as he don't get injured.

Not too sure what you meant by tank. I'm guessing it's either fitness (ability to run the entire match) or physical size (muscles and stuff).

Either shouldn't be considered a fatal flaw for a 21 yr old, especially if he display good fundamental skills. Fitness and physicality will come with time with a good conditioning program, as long as he don't get injured.
He don't have Tab fitness but i don't know he can build it. Fundamental skill is fine , yesterday his decision making not as good compare to last few round.good second effort can go to below knee to tackle inside 50 where Tab don't had.

With this year being rather poor I've been rewatching our 2013 form.

The plodders were certainly a class above what they are now, but really it was a case of our guns being unstoppable. Pav, Sandi, Johnson, Fyfe, Crowley, Walters, Ballantyne, Barlow, Mundy, Hill and Ibbo in ferociously good form.

Guys like Suban, De Boer and C. Pearce were the true role players that just had to be in the right place at the right time, or just flow into the right passage of play.

If we get back to that enigmatic form than a De Boer type could really thrive, at the moment though on current form they'll get butchered senseless.

He don't have Tab fitness but i don't know he can build it. Fundamental skill is fine , yesterday his decision making not as good compare to last few round.good second effort can go to below knee to tackle inside 50 where Tab don't had.
Is Ueber fast/agile? His tank can be built up. It's alot harder trying to make someone run faster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the stats from the peel game I get the following. Perhaps someone who was there can comment.
Suban performed poorly compared to others.
De Boer went really well (As did Langdon and Blakely)
Mzungu went reasonably well

Looking at the stats from the peel game I get the following. Perhaps someone who was there can comment.
Suban performed poorly compared to others.
De Boer went really well (As did Langdon and Blakely)
Mzungu went reasonably well

That's about how I'm reading it plus Ethan Hughes looks to have gone alright as well.

Back