Prediction Which players get traded or delisted at the end of the year?

Which players get delisted or traded at the end of the year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Astbury and Houli retire.

DES, Garth and Naish gone.

I'm unsure how the club rates (for differing reasons) the following, who I believe are all out of contract beyond this season: Stack, Ralph-Smith, Cumberland, Martyn (wouldn't shock to see one or two of these be let go, if we really like this draft).

Trade bait: Chol likely to move on (I'd rather keep), KMac could go back to Perth, particularly if we chase Cerra (again, I'd rather keep). And if Aarts and Parker play well, and with MRJ in the wings, it wouldn't be a complete shock to me to see a D Rioli or Castagna moved on if a club came sniffing.

In terms of contracted players, Caddy and Ross spring to mind as two who may be better seeking more opportunity elsewhere.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

I doubt Astbury retires, but i think his new contract will be pretty ordinary, he will effectively take "Garthwaites" role as mature back up role. He is only 30 years old. The end of his career will likely resemble that of Lachie Henderson, who is 31. Much lower pay packet, perhaps dropped to a rookie spot - but he will remain an option for us and have his chance to prove he can still play. I think his form has been pretty ordinary, but its looking like he has been carrying an achilles injury, so that surely has played a role

I don't think Naish will get cut - but he might want to explore his options for more opportunity. I hope he is not cut - unless someone out there wants to pay him double what we can offer him, i think he stays and we happily keep him.

I think Castagna is very sadly a big chance to leave, and perhaps KMac too. If it comes down to having to offer Bolton or Cerra a bit more to get their contract, then these guys have to be the collateral damage.

unsure on CCJ - do we really think anyone is going to offer him $400-500k? what is realistically the biggest contract he can be offered?

Caddy & Ross could be traded for cap space, if we need it. If we can get anyone to take Ross for a late pick, take it and free up the cap space.

I doubt Astbury retires, but i think his new contract will be pretty ordinary, he will effectively take "Garthwaites" role as mature back up role. He is only 30 years old. The end of his career will likely resemble that of Lachie Henderson, who is 31. Much lower pay packet, perhaps dropped to a rookie spot - but he will remain an option for us and have his chance to prove he can still play. I think his form has been pretty ordinary, but its looking like he has been carrying an achilles injury, so that surely has played a role

I don't think Naish will get cut - but he might want to explore his options for more opportunity. I hope he is not cut - unless someone out there wants to pay him double what we can offer him, i think he stays and we happily keep him.

I think Castagna is very sadly a big chance to leave, and perhaps KMac too. If it comes down to having to offer Bolton or Cerra a bit more to get their contract, then these guys have to be the collateral damage.

unsure on CCJ - do we really think anyone is going to offer him $400-500k? what is realistically the biggest contract he can be offered?

Caddy & Ross could be traded for cap space, if we need it. If we can get anyone to take Ross for a late pick, take it and free up the cap space.
I know cap space is an issue for any club that is contending, but it's list spots that are our biggest challenge at the end of this year.
I think people are going to be a bit upset with some of the players that may need to make room.

I know cap space is an issue for any club that is contending, but it's list spots that are our biggest challenge at the end of this year.
I think people are going to be a bit upset with some of the players that may need to make room.
Really? I was easily able to rattle off 8+ that I wouldn't lose sleep over.

I doubt Astbury retires .... I think his form has been pretty ordinary, but its looking like he has been carrying an achilles injury
It's his form, not his age, that worries me. Out of contract, and looking cooked. If it's injury related, and something he can get past, then maybe he goes one more.

I don't think Naish will get cut - but he might want to explore his options for more opportunity.
Out of contract, and not best 22. Not convinced he'll make it. Potential delist and go back on the rookie list, perhaps?

I think Castagna is very sadly a big chance to leave, and perhaps KMac too.
Yep. Aarts has impressed me the last few weeks, and with Rioli x2 and now Parker, Castagna is one we could afford to lose who may have currency. And is out of contract. KMac could potentially become part of a Cerra deal. Otherwise hope he stays.

Yeah, I could easily see a club offering that sort of coin to lure him away.

Caddy & Ross could be traded for cap space.
Agree. Both are probably too good to be playing reserves, waiting for an injury in order to get an opportunity.

How many of them are on the senior list? Rookie list spots doesn't help us with our draft picks and rookies we need to elevate or cut
8 main list:
Ross, Naish, Castagna, Astbury (ret.), Houli (ret.), Caddy, Garth

2 rookies:
DES, Chol

Just to clarify, a few of these are fairly unlikely, but I see each of these guys as either; likely to retire; deserving of more opportunity; or able to be covered (i.e. Castagna, who is probably the most controversial of those I've listed). And a couple I think just not quite good enough to make it.

And if I could choose to keep only one of those 10 named, it'd be Chol.

Last edited:
8 main list:

2 rookies:
DES, Chol
Did you even read the post that I was replying to calling out Astbury and Naish to stay on? Exactly why I said that we needed the list spots
Even with those picks that you've suggested, with the 3 rookies we need to elevate (Aarts, Pickett & Stack) that still only leaves 4 senior spots when we have 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

I think Naish is the type of player who needs time to strengthen himself up.
I would be surprised if he was let go, I expect a big year from him next year.
Naish is not up to it. He’ll be gone.

It's his form, not his age, that worries me. Out of contract, and looking cooked. If it's injury related, and something he can get past, then maybe he goes one more.

Out of contract, and not best 22. Not convinced he'll make it. Potential delist and go back on the rookie list, perhaps?

Yep. Aarts has impressed me the last few weeks, and with Rioli x2 and now Parker, Castagna is one we could afford to lose who may have currency. And is out of contract. KMac could potentially become part of a Cerra deal. Otherwise hope he stays.

Yeah, I could easily see a club offering that sort of coin to lure him away.

Agree. Both are probably too good to be playing reserves, waiting for an injury in order to get an opportunity.

If a club offers CCJ $500k a season, then Shai is worth a million, without a second thought. Would be total idiocy. As good as CCJ has looked, has he looked any better than Peter Wright did early on? There is little history of a young key forward being poached for big bucks & that working out "well". I think talk of him being worth that is completely media hogwash - and any team wanting to offer him that money, then trade him to them as they wouldn't have any argument against our demands for a top 10 pick. Any 22 yo worth $500k is worth a top 10 pick. He is just as likely to be a Tom Boyd, Peter Wright, Levi Casboult, Mason Cox.... looking over the list of key forwards of the last decade, he really doesn't fit the mould at all. Closest comparison is maybe K.Tippert & he ended up being a salary cap eyesore

With Naish, not best 22 - but we have 20 players not top 22. He has been very patient for his chance & required a lot of physical development - i see positions for him opening up over the next 12 months, unless someone offers him a lot of money I would re-sign him for sure.

Just to be clear with Georgie, I most definitely think we should keep him - but i think with out forward structure shifting & with Dan already re-signed - Georgie might have offers elsewhere that nearly double what we can offer, much like the scenario we had with Ellis. I think someone like Carlton or North could do worse than give him a very good contract - the guy breeds workrate, the right attitude and pressure play - he would instantly help change a clubs culture with his style of play and the tone he sets. Very underrated by our own.

Outside of Ross, Eggs & Garthwaite there is no real player i think we "must" move on from. Even Caddy i would only move on if we need the cap space, have no real issue with him staying on otherwise and providing strong veteran depth for the seniors and vfl side.

what happens will all revolve around who chooses to retire basically.
Did you even read the post that I was replying to calling out Astbury and Naish to stay on? Exactly why I said that we needed the list spots
Even with those picks that you've suggested, with the 3 rookies we need to elevate (Aarts, Pickett & Stack) that still only leaves 4 senior spots when we have 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

You are presuming too much. Perhaps we have all those picks to trade for Cerra?

Or, we use those 6 picks to trade up for better picks - or continue to trade for more future picks?

Our draft selections proves no real insight into our possible list cuts. What it does do though, is give us more options

what happens will all revolve around who chooses to retire basically.

You are presuming too much. Perhaps we have all those picks to trade for Cerra?

Or, we use those 6 picks to trade up for better picks - or continue to trade for more future picks?

Our draft selections proves no real insight into our possible list cuts. What it does do though, is give us more options
I get that we can do that, but even with that pretty harsh list cut that Damo suggested, it still only gives us 4 spots on the senior list after rookie elevations. If we are going to keep Astbury & Naish then that's only 2 spots. If we then trade for Cerra, that's only 1 spot.

8 main list:

2 rookies:
DES, Chol

Just to clarify, a few of these are fairly unlikely, but I see each of these guys as either; likely to retire; deserving of more opportunity; or able to be covered (i.e. Castagna, who is probably the most controversial of those I've listed). And a couple I think just not quite good enough to make it.

And if I could choose to keep only one of those 10 named, it'd be Chol.

Garthwaite was moved to the rookie list with Miller last year.

Garthwaite, Miller, Chol & KMac are all UFAs which also may affect things.

Edit: So are Riewoldt, Edwards, Houli & Astbury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that we can do that, but even with that pretty harsh list cut that Damo suggested, it still only gives us 4 spots on the senior list after rookie elevations. If we are going to keep Astbury & Naish then that's only 2 spots. If we then trade for Cerra, that's only 1 spot.

You are still forgetting though that other changes can happen.. ie Astbury could be cut and then re-offered a spot on the rookie list. I am not overly familiar with how the rookie list works - do Aarts, Stack & Pickett have to be taken off the rookie list for technicality reasons?

Edwards re-signed, so thats 1 less

Dont think Garthwaite is on the rookie list either

You are still forgetting though that other changes can happen.. ie Astbury could be cut and then re-offered a spot on the rookie list. I am not overly familiar with how the rookie list works - do Aarts, Stack & Pickett have to be taken off the rookie list for technicality reasons?
They've been on the rookie list for their 3rd year, so need to be upgraded or delisted and go back into the draft.
Yes we could shift other players like Cumberland or Martyn onto the rookie list, but we have to start moving on our 30+ year olds at some stage or we're going to end up like Geelong or North having to lose a massive chunk of them all at once.

They've been on the rookie list for their 3rd year, so need to be upgraded or delisted and go back into the draft.
Yes we could shift other players like Cumberland or Martyn onto the rookie list, but we have to start moving on our 30+ year olds at some stage or we're going to end up like Geelong or North having to lose a massive chunk of them all at once.

I think Astbury is a prime candidate to do that

Edwards re-signed, so thats 1 less

Dont think Garthwaite is on the rookie list either

I stand to be corrected 😁 thanks just check and you were right. I misread the Garthwaite and Miller article and I also found the Edwards notice 👍.

Found these too which will affect the poll. Castagna close to re-signing for 2 years, Riewoldt close to a new deal and Rioli close to a 2 year deal which will bring him to FA.

I stand to be corrected 😁 thanks just check and you were right. I misread the Garthwaite and Miller article and I also found the Edwards notice 👍.

Found these too which will affect the poll. Castagna close to re-signing for 2 years, Riewoldt close to a new deal and Rioli close to a 2 year deal which will bring him to FA.

Castagna was good on the weekend

Castagna was good on the weekend
Yep, Dimma is happy with that one game now he is safe for 2 seasons then he will play another good game and offred another 2. Much loved that George at the meantime we move some warrior CCJ KMAC to be continued.....

Yep, Dimma is happy with that one game now he is safe for 2 seasons then he will play another good game and offred another 2. Much loved that George at the meantime we move some warrior CCJ KMAC to be continued.....

George would be on *all he ain’t taking money from anyone lol. More like Bolton holds out for too much and it pushes out CCJ & KMac.

No matter how much you pot him he’s still going to be three time Tigers premiership player.

IMO

Delistings

Locks
Naish good skills but doesn't get enough of the footy with no contested game
Garthwaite depth player who is not big enough to be a KPD and fast enough to play on small forwards. Makes Dave Astbury look like a Stawell Gift winner
Houli, really love what he has done, but probably will be his last season.
Egg, skilled but lacks good game sense and contested game.

Possible
Stacky, needs to show some form in the back half of the year. Not the same player as in 2019

Free agents
Chol will probably get an offer to good to refuse. Classed as a free agent because he was delisted previously.
Kmac probably going to get low balled

Trades
Possible
Jack Ross might move for more opportunities elsewhere
Josh Caddy not first choice now, would have currency for another club.

No chance the Gazelle gets delisted.

Last edited:
The other thing to consider is our 6 ruckman.
Nank, Soldo, CCJ, Chol, Bigoa Nyuon and Mate Colina.
Can we afford to have 6 ruckman on the list?
Biggy and Ben Miller are being developed as KPD to replace Astbury when he retires. I reckon Astbury will get a one year deal as the other guys need more time to develop.

How many of them are on the senior list? Rookie list spots doesn't help us with our draft picks and rookies we need to elevate or cut
Have to elevate or delist 3 rookies at the end of the year Aarts, Pickett and Stack.
IMO Stacky is fighting for his spot in the 2nd half of the season.

Garth is on the senior list, was given one year. Miller moved to the Rookie list.
Should have been the other way round as another club could get Miller as a Free Agent.

RICHMOND

Jack Riewoldt
David Astbury
Bachar Houli (previously qualified as a free agent)
Kamdyn McIntosh
Mabior Chol (previously delisted)
Derek Smith (previously delisted)
Ben Miller (previously delisted)

Back