Prediction Which players get traded or delisted at the end of the year?

Which players get delisted or traded at the end of the year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I like reading your stuff RT but Sydney Stack is WAY better than steak knives. Go back and take a look at his highlights. He has more talent and ability in his little finger than Cerra who is a decent enough mid with neat disposal but is incredibly overpriced and over rated. Andrew Brayshaw went in the same draft and is a far more complete player than Adam Cerra.

Steak knives is a massive insult to Stacks ability imo. We need to nurture him every step of the way because he is a dead set gem. If we get him fit and firing he is Shane Edwards all over again.

I think a lot of people are put off by his insta profile and some of the baggage that goes with him but as a club we take these kids (steak knives and chop sticks) and turn them into rolled gold by wrapping our arms around them instead of doing the easy thing and cutting them loose. That's what sh*t clubs with sh*t culture do.

After three flags in four years surely we have the luxury of patience.

Sydney Stack is a keeper and I believe if the club intended cutting him loose it would have done so well before now.

I’m with you .
Sydney Stack is a big part of our future .

I couldn’t care what he does off field . Trading him will come back snd haunt us .

What I dont get us the love for Chol .Geez if he’s worth a second or third round I say jump on it . Inevitably he will let us down when we need him most . Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Retire:
Houli - showing signs of slowing down.
Astbury - also showing signs of slowing down.

Both could retire in the way Grigg did to give younger players their shot.

Trade/Free Agency:
Caddy - 29 at years end with a year to run, if another club came offering a 3 year deal he could look to move
Ross - at the opposite end to Caddy age wise, he could look to go somewhere that gives him the option of more game time.
Chol (r)- as a rookie who is also an unrestricted free agent could move for more security and opportunity
McIntosh - 27 year old restricted free agent who could go down the path of Conca and Ellis and take the longer more lucrative offer than we're prepared to offer
Stack (r) - on the rookie list and out of contract, could head back to WA where his girlfriend lives, as steak knives in a potential Cerra deal

Delist:
DES (r) - given another crack through the SSP but hasn't shown any real improvement in his biggest weakness
Naish - like Ross could be tempted to move for more opportunity, but we could also look at a delist/re-rookie move if no trade happens.
Cumberland - possible delist/re-rookie option

Rookie Upgrade:
Baker - will be elevated to the senior list

Based on the above I've got 7 senior listed player leaving/re-rookied and 1 rookie upgrade plus 3 rookies moving on as well. Would leave us with 6 senior list spots subject to trades and 4 rookie list spots.

Some may say that it's a big list change for a 3 time premiership list, but IMO we need to refresh the list for the next generation of success. Otherwise we run the risk of ending up like Hawthorn who tried too hard to extend the era once it had ended and now find themselves in a world of hurt list wise.
Not sure why stack...who cost us nothing and could be an out and out superstar, could or should be given away like a set of stake knives. His talent is up there with our two most talented players.

it makes no sense and it’s much better for us to develop him because he is one of the few that has A list potential.

Not sure why stack...who cost us nothing and could be an out and out superstar, could or should be given away like a set of stake knives. His talent is up there with our two most talented players.

it makes no sense and it’s much better for us to develop him because he is one of the few that has A list potential.
Because we might not have a choice. Stack is rookie listed and while talented I'm not sure he is going to be getting a long term big money contract from us, however a club like Fremantle with cap space and the need to add more talent to their list could offer him a longer term deal with more money than we're prepared to offer.

Because we might not have a choice. Stack is rookie listed and while talented I'm not sure he is going to be getting a long term big money contract from us, however a club like Fremantle with cap space and the need to add more talent to their list could offer him a longer term deal with more money than we're prepared to offer.
Stack wants the biggest stage, at the biggest club. now that he experienced Tigerland he won’t be keen to move on. he knows he has what it takes, and I’m sure he has Been told to pull his head in and nuckle sown. .he could be one of our best.

Stack wants the biggest stage, at the biggest club. now that he experienced Tigerland he won’t be keen to move on. he knows he has what it takes, and I’m sure he has Been told to pull his head in and nuckle sown. .he could be one of our best.
Agree he could be, but security of a longer term deal and more money as well could be hard to knock back.

Agree he could be, but security of a longer term deal and more money as well could be hard to knock back.

I am not a big Stack fan. I think he can play, but also he is totally immature, petulant & possibly overrated on the field. In saying all that, I think he would be banana's to leave us based on the support he would get from our amazin aboriginal band of brothers we have around him. His life & career have got to be well before his ability to make a buck atm. Life is a marathon, not a sprint

Retire:
Houli - showing signs of slowing down.
Astbury - also showing signs of slowing down.

Both could retire in the way Grigg did to give younger players their shot.

Trade/Free Agency:
Caddy - 29 at years end with a year to run, if another club came offering a 3 year deal he could look to move
Ross - at the opposite end to Caddy age wise, he could look to go somewhere that gives him the option of more game time.
Chol (r)- as a rookie who is also an unrestricted free agent could move for more security and opportunity
McIntosh - 27 year old restricted free agent who could go down the path of Conca and Ellis and take the longer more lucrative offer than we're prepared to offer
Stack (r) - on the rookie list and out of contract, could head back to WA where his girlfriend lives, as steak knives in a potential Cerra deal

Delist:
DES (r) - given another crack through the SSP but hasn't shown any real improvement in his biggest weakness
Naish - like Ross could be tempted to move for more opportunity, but we could also look at a delist/re-rookie move if no trade happens.
Cumberland - possible delist/re-rookie option

Rookie Upgrade:
Baker - will be elevated to the senior list

Based on the above I've got 7 senior listed player leaving/re-rookied and 1 rookie upgrade plus 3 rookies moving on as well. Would leave us with 6 senior list spots subject to trades and 4 rookie list spots.

Some may say that it's a big list change for a 3 time premiership list, but IMO we need to refresh the list for the next generation of success. Otherwise we run the risk of ending up like Hawthorn who tried too hard to extend the era once it had ended and now find themselves in a world of hurt list wise.
The Cerra name keeps rising as trade target. I don't get it. Not a bad player but I wouldn't be going too hard for him based on the bit I saw yesterday. A skilled kick of the football, playing HBF. I'm sure we have a minimal offer in front of Stack. Barring a Cotchin early retirement. I wouldn't pursue Cerra. I did watch a bit of the Saints too and crouch is going well for them. Again, when we have a retirement I would start pursuing because theres a million good midfielders running around

We can't afford Stack, who drove his own market value down, he'll never be cheaper. Yet we can squeeze in a contracted Cerra?

We can't afford Stack, who drove his own market value down, he'll never be cheaper. Yet we can squeeze in a contracted Cerra?
Not saying we can't afford him, but more are we willing to match a deal where a rival offers him 3 years at say $400k a year when we've got players who I rate as more important to sign

Not saying we can't afford him, but more are we willing to match a deal where a rival offers him 3 years at say $400k a year when we've got players who I rate as more important to sign
Its not really the club's style to get into bidding wars over (depth) players. Unfortunately for Stack he's had too many interruptions to get his career started. So, he's a speculative position even on our list & would be a risky pick for another club. Can't see us making a big offer nor from anyone else. He's just about delisting material unfortunately. Maybe rerookie him again if available. If Freo are interested and Cerra wants out (his stats actually aren't bad) We probably have to find $500,000+ for 3 years. Cerra IN would probably need more salary freed up. Maybe Kmac or someone leaves. Readymade replacement with Parker
Crouch seems to have his injuries under control and playing well, every week.

Last edited:
Can we afford to retain Houli, Astbury, JR for 900k, next year on the list for 2022? Probably yes.
Who are you dropping off the list? Garth, Egg, Ross Stack types? All the handy midfield depth players?
Then Houli, Astbury, JR Cotch, Caddy, Lambert, Broad, Pickett, Edwards: ($2.7mill of the cap each year) While Dusty & Lynch are taking a huge chunk. Then 2023 add Grimes & Prestia to Houli, Astbury, JR Cotch, Caddy, Lambert, Broad, Pickett, Edwards adds up to $3.3 mil of the cap. What if they all want to play until they are 40? What if the team starts losing?
What do you do with Soldo who played in one flag and wants to stay at the club?
How competitive will that list be in 3 to 5 years?
Do winning more flags matter?
Nice sentiments but I think you have other ways of expressing thanks. Like having regular reunions after retirement. AFL players can often trade off their name post retirement. Small business, pubs etc.
I think you have misunderstood me. I'm not talking about all our premiership players. I'm talking about the guys who have driven the culture change, the leaders and heart of the club. The club will know who they are and there would be less than a handful of them. Those are the players who should not be retired before their time and traded out like Hodge, Lewis etc were.

I’m with you .
Sydney Stack is a big part of our future .

I couldn’t care what he does off field . Trading him will come back snd haunt us .

What I dont get us the love for Chol .Geez if he’s worth a second or third round I say jump on it . Inevitably he will let us down when we need him most . Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
not saying we should get rid of stack but mids are a dime a dozen. developing ruckman aren't. and chol is mobile.

If a club offers CCJ $500k a season, then Shai is worth a million, without a second thought. Would be total idiocy. As good as CCJ has looked, has he looked any better than Peter Wright did early on? There is little history of a young key forward being poached for big bucks & that working out "well". I think talk of him being worth that is completely media hogwash - and any team wanting to offer him that money, then trade him to them as they wouldn't have any argument against our demands for a top 10 pick. Any 22 yo worth $500k is worth a top 10 pick. He is just as likely to be a Tom Boyd, Peter Wright, Levi Casboult, Mason Cox.... looking over the list of key forwards of the last decade, he really doesn't fit the mould at all. Closest comparison is maybe K.Tippert & he ended up being a salary cap eyesore

With Naish, not best 22 - but we have 20 players not top 22. He has been very patient for his chance & required a lot of physical development - i see positions for him opening up over the next 12 months, unless someone offers him a lot of money I would re-sign him for sure.

Just to be clear with Georgie, I most definitely think we should keep him - but i think with out forward structure shifting & with Dan already re-signed - Georgie might have offers elsewhere that nearly double what we can offer, much like the scenario we had with Ellis. I think someone like Carlton or North could do worse than give him a very good contract - the guy breeds workrate, the right attitude and pressure play - he would instantly help change a clubs culture with his style of play and the tone he sets. Very underrated by our own.

Outside of Ross, Eggs & Garthwaite there is no real player i think we "must" move on from. Even Caddy i would only move on if we need the cap space, have no real issue with him staying on otherwise and providing strong veteran depth for the seniors and vfl side.
CCJ another Tex Walker...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After today i really hope Cotchin retires so we can remember him as the player he was instead of the player he is becoming.

Back