Analysis Which position is it easier to win the first final from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Georgie 404

All Australian
Jul 4, 2017
Smollettville
AFL Club
West Coast
I reckon you are right.

The geelong and hawks teams from 07-15 sorta spoiled us a bit with how good a footy team can be with so much talent in each club

Most gf teams have a few stars and then a fairly even consistent effort around the rest of the team - see brizzy, eagles / sydney 2004-7 and collingwood 2010-11

Its the team work that just all clicks and leads to great performances.

Yea def need a lot of no frills hard workers and a some class on top

Also
Geelong from era played bomber Thompson’s “kamikaze football”
Hawthorn played Clarksons “unsocialable football”
Lethal lee took care of the v good baby bombers with “if it bleeds we can kill it” and went onto a trifecta

V
Flash in the pan western bulldogs of 2016..

And Richmond of 2017..(??)...

Georgie 404

All Australian
Jul 4, 2017
Smollettville
AFL Club
West Coast
The erra from 97 to 2011...

Best teams ever
Lions
Geelong
Hawks
Eagles
Swans
Roos
Essendon 2000

Not in any order

Those teams would destroy teams of today

Yep, thats the equalisation and the expansion effect
Also most of those teams had a take no prisoners approach
IMO that’s what’s needed for sustained success

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Nah ...for mine the more talent you have the more you will..

The last 20 premierships...

Only the dogs that was unexpected....

Its a cattle league...

Forget about rocking up the sale yards with skinny b grade cattle.....
Adelaide went back to back with an ordinary team in 97/98. The Pie were a workmanlike team in 1990. Of course talent is the key requisite for success but this discussion has been about the relative talent of todays' teams in comparison to the top teams of the past. I believe todays top teams would match up nicely with the best of any era. Human nature dictates we always play down current day footballers when comparing them to those who played in the misty, halcyon days of yore.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Adelaide went back to back with an ordinary team in 97/98. The Pie were a workmanlike team in 1990. Of course talent is the key requisite for success but this discussion has been about the relative talent of todays' teams in comparison to the top teams of the past. I believe todays top teams would match up nicely with the best of any era. Human nature dictates we always play down current day footballers when comparing them to those who played in the misty, halcyon days of yore.

More teams have spread the talent pool thinner

It’s that simple

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
I feel this was the weakest top 4 ever

Even us ....we are good side but not a greatone

Richmond are not Essendon 2000 or lions of 03 ........

This is the weakest top I’ve ever seen ...the expansion has really diluted the talent pool

With all due respect hawks are not that good anymore

Think it’s more just a more even spread between 4th and 10th in terms of quality. Are Geelong or Hawthorn that much better than Port? A bit, but not much in my opinion.

Think you are selling us a tiny bit short there. Particularly with NN and Gaff, we have been a very good team this year. Hopefully we can validate that with a good Finals series.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Think it’s more just a more even spread between 4th and 10th in terms of quality. Are Geelong or Hawthorn that much better than Port? A bit, but not much in my opinion.

Think you are selling us a tiny bit short there. Particularly with NN and Gaff, we have been a very good team this year. Hopefully we can validate that with a good Finals series.

Yeah look we are good but geez our 2006 would flog our 2018 side

Lecras ....hmmm he can play in both lol

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Jarman.....Edwards.
.smart...mcleod..bickley...goodwin

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
The erra from 97 to 2011...

Best teams ever
Lions
Geelong
Hawks
Eagles
Swans
Roos
Essendon 2000

Not in any order

Those teams would destroy teams of today.
Jarman.....Edwards.
.smart...mcleod..bickley...goodwin

Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom, Adams. DeGoey….. every bit as good and we aren't going back to back

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Yeah look we are good but geez our 2006 would flog our 2018 side

Lecras ....hmmm he can play in both lol
The Sydney team of that era were a very hardworking defensive unit who wore teams down and you never put them away back then. Why do you rate that Eagles team so highly? Kennedy and Darling are better forwards than Gardiner, Lynch and Hansen.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
The Sydney team of that era were a very hardworking defensive unit who wore teams down and you never put them away back then. Why do you rate that Eagles team so highly? Kennedy and Darling are better forwards than Gardiner, Lynch and Hansen.

With judd kerr cousins...stenglien braun...you could have put my dog at full forward ...lol

Judd was the best midfielder I've ever seen ..
Still

Remove this Banner Ad

Back