Opinion Which Preliminary Finals would have lead us to a premiership if we had have won them ?

Which years would we have won the GF if only we'd won the PF the previous week ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 3.4%

Votes: 7 12.1%

Votes: 40 69.0%

Votes: 21 36.2%

Votes: 4 6.9%

Votes: 46 79.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I say we would have won 2019 and 2013 if we had won the prelim, but in saying that we were not suppose to go close in either prelim.

Think its time to let go of the past and move forward.

'13 '16 and '19 for me.
13 and 19 definitely.

Not sure about 16 considering we got smashed in the PF.
Me being a freo supporter. I would of been confident in freo having a good game vs the cats in the 2013 GF. It would of been close.

2010 Prelim. Cats just had a horrible game but had they faced the saints in 2010, I think the cats would of won narrowly again.

As far as 2016 prelim goes......

I dont know what happened in that 1st half. Cats were inaccurate. Swans had 22 shots and kicked 15.7.97.

Had the cats won the 2016 prelim vs the swans, they would of Beaten the dogs or GWS easily, regardless who made it.

2019: Despite the cats struggling in the last month, only lost to the tigers by 3-4 goals in that prelim. Saying that, Cats would of beaten GWS in the 2019 GF.

This is how we think now. And you should be damn happy about even being able to think about finals.
Some teams lose finals on a far less consistant basis.
We've won our 3 flags and that's good enough for at least 60+ years.
If that's not good enough for you, you're simply spoilt and ungrateful.

Enjoy the zinc medal ...never.

I haven't included 2016 because we lost to the minor premiers, and the run the Bulldogs had going I dont think we would have stopped it.

We would’ve belted Freo in that GF
What do you base that on? What would be different than when we lost to them in the qualifying final? Freo weren't as bad as people make out in that GF, they just didn't take their chances against the Hawks, they had the same number of scoring shots, lost the I50 count by 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you base that on? What would be different than when we lost to them in the qualifying final? Freo weren't as bad as people make out in that GF, they just didn't take their chances against the Hawks, they had the same number of scoring shots, lost the I50 count by 1.
The final being at Kardinia suited Freo, same dimensions as Subi, had rested players the previous week. We had no Hawkins, an injured Enright and started Chappy on the pine.. absolute smash and grab. We were the best team in it in 13, massive balls up that finals series

In a lot of cases, particularly recently, the prelims were lost because of traits inherent to the side that rendered them largely inept during finals time and incapable of playing to a standard that would see them win a premiership. If they had been a side capable of winning the flag, then they should have been able to dispatch with the prelim side as well, so it's really a moot discussion. Could they have won the GF, they should have been capable enough to win the GF.

You could perhaps make an argument that we could have beaten the Dogs, for instance, given they hadn't given us much trouble to that point and our form throughout the year in 2016 had been good against most teams bar Sydney, who we got in the prelim. But you could have said the same about a number of teams who we had good H&A records against but then were brushed aside by come finals, such as Fremantle '13, Richmond '17 and Richmond '19. One could suggest GWS this year but even they had schooled us at our own home ground playing a finals-like brand of football we could not contend with. It would take a brash individual to consider Freo in a GF gettable in '13, given we lost to them in a QF in the absolute worst circumstances for them and best for us. It is hard to imagine how a meeting at the MCG would have worked out any better for us.

We should have beat Richmond. They have some absolute plodders running around in their team.

Not as many as people like to think. Two years ago people would say they only had four good players. Presumably with a straight face.

They undoubtedly have role players for sure, but it makes them a very cohesive unit. I think some of the adjustments they've made since 2017 have improved them too. Townshend is gone, Grigg did a great job for them, but has been replaced by a genuine and promising ruckman in Soldo. Caddy's role has gone to Lynch which is another plus, and Grimes has gone to another level.

I can't question Geelong's effort at all in that Prelim. They were just too good.

Not as many as people like to think. Two years ago people would say they only had four good players. Presumably with a straight face.

They undoubtedly have role players for sure, but it makes them a very cohesive unit. I think some of the adjustments they've made since 2017 have improved them too. Townshend is gone, Grigg did a great job for them, but has been replaced by a genuine and promising ruckman in Soldo. Caddy's role has gone to Lynch which is another plus, and Grimes has gone to another level.

I can't question Geelong's effort at all in that Prelim. They were just too good.
Just some of the tactics.

Back