Which Premiership meant the most to you?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last year meant the most to me. I've mentioned this before but I literally envisioned that we would win the 2023 Flag right after we lost by a point to Sydney in The 2022 Prelim. I kid you not. The confetti, The players lifting the Premiership Cup and me watching with a grin on my face. I will admit money was involved and it was something I had to do because of the vision I saw a year earlier. And Hill scalping The Norm Smith just added to all the great stuff that day, the year, but also something brewing from the year before. What I had seen and endured personally, physically, spiritually, it was bigger than just a game. Collingwood gave me hope. Something to look forward to through some truly dark times. That 2022 season man, watching these Pie players give it their all week to week and getting over the line was something that carried me over the line. We are fighters. It's like I needed what The Pies brought to the table week in week out in my life. When we got the win in 2023 and that final siren went, it was like *. Supernatural. But I had so much belief in the Club and I knew we had a chance at glory right near the start of that 2022 season. As you get older you realise these kind of opportunities are few and far between. You don't know when they will come again, if at all. Winning it erases the pain of other years gone by and that doom and gloom feeling after that Swannies game in Sydney. It was extra special because a year before I was ruing what might have been, but a year later I and we were on top of the world. The contrast between disappointment and happiness is huge. So when you're on the good side of it and right on top, you savour it. And know where you come from. It makes it even more special. More sweeter.

This one meant the most to me and I'm adamant that we have more spirit than any other club in the game. We simply do. Love them or hate them Collingwood are the most talked about Team in The AFL. When Hilly got that Norm Smith, it was if God had said, there you go. There's something extra special. Something extra for all that you have endured. An extra '' kick '' in your energised Life.

Un*******believable.

1930. Definitely 1930. The Depression was hard times. Ate a lot of rabbit, stringy, almost as stringy as I was.

No wireless of my own, but we hankered round listening to the butcher's wireless set. He was Collingwood, said he'd give us half off any cut we wanted if the black and white got up.

Thought I was destined to starve at halftime. Jock wasn't coaching that day and Geelong had the run of it.

But there were lots of toothless smiles in the 3rd quarter! We shook off the hard times. Coventry was a prince.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Besides that:

1. 1990
2. 2010
3. 2023

Last year meant the most to me. I've mentioned this before but I literally envisioned that we would win the 2023 Flag right after we lost by a point to Sydney in The 2022 Prelim. I kid you not. The confetti, The players lifting the Premiership Cup and me watching with a grin on my face. I will admit money was involved and it was something I had to do because of the vision I saw a year earlier. And Hill scalping The Norm Smith just added to all the great stuff that day, the year, but also something brewing from the year before. What I had seen and endured personally, physically, spiritually, it was bigger than just a game. Collingwood gave me hope. Something to look forward to through some truly dark times. That 2022 season man, watching these Pie players give it their all week to week and getting over the line was something that carried me over the line. We are fighters. It's like I needed what The Pies brought to the table week in week out in my life. When we got the win in 2023 and that final siren went, it was like *. Supernatural. But I had so much belief in the Club and I knew we had a chance at glory right near the start of that 2022 season. As you get older you realise these kind of opportunities are few and far between. You don't know when they will come again, if at all. Winning it erases the pain of other years gone by and that doom and gloom feeling after that Swannies game in Sydney. It was extra special because a year before I was ruing what might have been, but a year later I and we were on top of the world. The contrast between disappointment and happiness is huge. So when you're on the good side of it and right on top, you savour it. And know where you come from. It makes it even more special. More sweeter.

This one meant the most to me and I'm adamant that we have more spirit than any other club in the game. We simply do. Love them or hate them Collingwood are the most talked about Team in The AFL. When Hilly got that Norm Smith, it was if God had said, there you go. There's something extra special. Something extra for all that you have endured. An extra '' kick '' in your energised Life.

Un*******believable.

I was gonna say 1990. I always say 1990. But after reading your post, I dont know what I think anymore. Very glad you got so much out of '23.:thumbsu:

Without doubt 1990, I cried as a kid after the loses of 79, 80 & 81, dreaming whether I would ever witness a flag win after continually getting close.
So 90 was like winning the lottery.... followed closely by 2023 just an epic game and victory followed by 2010.
Obviously any flag is just euphoric, admittedly, I will ball my eyes out if we go B2B. 🖤🤍🖤🏆

2023. Winning a flag after 65 long years in September after years of failure and near-misses with our flags in 1990 & 2010 being in October following drawn finals and finals replays.

Wasn't alive for 1990 and 2010 I was happy we won #15

Finally winning a close grand final as well last year

Was too young for 1990 so I seen the 2010 and 2023 Flags and its bit hard to Pick a Favorite.

2010 I saw both Grand Finals at Home.

I loved the Luke Ball Story how Aints refused our Trade Offer then we Wind up Picking him in the Draft with the Pick we Offered. Then played them Aints in GF and in Replay Saints got Flogged.

The Biggest Win ever in a GF was Fantastic.

2023 I was at the Game so that is Totally Different then 2010 for me watching the Game.

Finally winning a Close Grand Final after losing so many Close GF in 60's and 70's.

Interesting also was the last Grand Final my Dad went to was 1958 and the 1st I went to is 2023

Was too young for 1990 so I seen the 2010 and 2023 Flags and its bit hard to Pick a Favorite.

2010 I saw both Grand Finals at Home.

I loved the Luke Ball Story how Aints refused our Trade Offer then we Wind up Picking him in the Draft with the Pick we Offered. Then played them Aints in GF and in Replay Saints got Flogged.

The Biggest Win ever in a GF was Fantastic.

2023 I was at the Game so that is Totally Different then 2010 for me watching the Game.

Finally winning a Close Grand Final after losing so many Close GF in 60's and 70's.

Interesting also was the last Grand Final my Dad went to was 1958 and the 1st I went to is 2023
I miss how active you were on Aussierul.es in 2010 Davo. It’s a sh!t show now. Just clowns.

I’d say even being there for both games, 2010 was a surprise and almost anti-climactic at the end. Saints are a crap side, so have more of a hoodoo than we did.

2023, now I’m an old man and a dad, spending it with the Grandfather who suffered the Dees during the 50s, suffered the colliewobbles, saw the draw in ‘77 and didn’t get to go to the replay, it was just so heartwarming. I tried my best all day not to be a lunatic, but we played such an attractive game for only a 12 goal finish, and Bobby was a star.

I stood up and called JDG in for that goal after the Cameron goal to put us back in front. But I confess my sins, I said Rusty had no chance, then stormed off like a mad man, chopping down trees with my chainsaw and screaming F-bombs when Rusty floated it home. It was such a relief.

Davo, were you at the GFs 2002-03? The GF last year vanquished 2003 for me, even though that Brisbane team was light years ahead of anything we could put together. Lethal>>>>>>Fagan, but **** has done incredible to get the Bears back to the big dance.

I hope we double up in 2024. There isn’t any complacency and we are HUUUNNNNGGGRRRRYYYY. I’ll be going to Monash Parkville until July, so I can’t wait to slurp up the salty tears gushing out of Princess Park every Monday 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1930. Definitely 1930. The Depression was hard times. Ate a lot of rabbit, stringy, almost as stringy as I was.

No wireless of my own, but we hankered round listening to the butcher's wireless set. He was Collingwood, said he'd give us half off any cut we wanted if the black and white got up.

Thought I was destined to starve at halftime. Jock wasn't coaching that day and Geelong had the run of it.

But there were lots of toothless smiles in the 3rd quarter! We shook off the hard times. Coventry was a prince.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Besides that:

1. 1990
2. 2010
3. 2023
I absolutely love this response for one reason: no other football club can make claim to the term "four-peat!" No, not "For Pete," for Pete's sake, four consecutive Premierships, i.e. a four-peat! The colorful addition of toothless smiles was keen as well!

But this was a tough call for me, having followed our boys since the early 1980s when my television first broadcast ESPN here in the USA and I started watching Aussie Rules which was an Americanized Seven's Match of the Day with Peter Landy. For all the reasons everyone here have summarized why the 1990 club was special, I share in their thoughts and would only add that, after the 1984 Preliminary Final, when Essendon belted a somewhat depleted Collingwood side, I grew to detest the Bombers even more than the Blues and used to go to bed at night and dream of our boys getting another crack at them, one day, and humiliating them in similar fashion in a Grand Final to give it back to them with interest. Well, Grand Final Day, 1990, the dream finally came true and, in tears, I just shook my head and said to myself "This is really happening! Just like in the dream!" With the whipping the Pies gave them in the semi-final round, it was all finally coming to pass after so many disappointments, years of frustration and bouncing up and down the ladder with nothing to show for any progress they had made, until 1990. Watching those players who went through that gauntlet from the '84 season, to be standing in victory as the final siren sounded in that historic Grand Final, how could you not hold those memories close to you for the rest of your life. They remain among my closest, and would have been my closest still, that is, until the events which unfolded in season 2023.

Season 2023 actually began at the SCG at the conclusion of the 2022 Preliminary Final when our boys fell short by a solitary point. We were treated to a magical ride where our boys, who weren't expected to do much, ended up in the top four and, although falling just short to the eventual Grand Final participants, issued notice that they were back and among the best in the comps and would be a force to be reckoned with. Without going into details, were they ever! The manner in which they won, especially the close games, proved it wasn't luck. They had the "it" factor which propelled them to top of the ladder and through the Finals with one thrilling match after another until there was nobody else left standing but themselves. It was a test of endurance, will-power and who wanted it more. In the end, the magic translated into, without question, the most exciting, nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat, heart-in-your-throat experience for the ages. It is in this way, and only in such a way, can the 2023 Premiers be described. When the final siren sounded at the MCG, and they had made it, a mind-boggling sense of elation overcame me. I just felt as if I had run a marathon and crossed over the line and broke the ribbon as the winner. Completely out of gas but in hysterics! Remember, it's the middle of the night here in the USA when this is all going down and I've already finished a long Friday and thank goodness I'll be able to crash on Saturday morning unless my wife and kid wake me up. But seeing how the boys did it, seeing this coach, who was destined for this role, who helped make come true an American player a significant cog on a Premiership side. It just doesn't get any better than this. I can go on and on, but you all have the memories burned vividly in your minds, as well as your hearts, and this one was for all time. For me, I submit that this Premiership was my most precious and, how could it be otherwise, when you have a kid with the best retro 'stache in the competition, aka Oleg!

Peace!

1990 was amazing having lived through the previous 30 yrs of crap results
2010 - great because I was there (the only time)
BUT
both those games we knew we'd won an hour or more before the siren - the opposition had chucked it in

2023 was amazing. the boys had to find everything they had to win it and they did exactly that. It was the proper glorious GF win that we'd come so close to so many times in the past against a more than worthy opponent. Its the one.

1990 was huge. Broke the drought after so many heartbreaks, 2010 was pure bliss but 2023 is the absolute cream. A story only Hollywood could write.
More importantly it means I’ve seen 3 flags, far more acceptable, and the promise of more and Pendles is a dual premiership player. He deserves that so much.
They all compliment each other though.

Always 1990.

I was 20. Born just after Teddy Hopkins broke our hearts in 1970 and lived through 77 (X2), 79, 80, 81.

The 1990 squad is still full of my greatest heroes. Not just Daicos, Millane, Shaw, G Brown & McGuane but Monkey, Charlie Manson, Morph, Scotty Russell, Crosisca, Micky Gayfer, Kerro, Dougie Barwick, Tony Francis et al. We were an amazing TEAM, lead by the strongest defense in the league.

The game was incredible. Moments like Daics slotting his typical miracle early to Gavin Brown's return to the field after being sniped by the scum Terry Daniher.

Still love asking "Who kicked 5 goals in the 1990 Grand Final?"

1990 with zero doubt.

After living through the 70's and 80's, constantly being in Grand Finals but finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, 1990 was the first Collingwood Premiership I'd seen and it remains the one that means the most.

Ditto...............one of the few moments I can remember vivdly from so far away. I was shaking with nerves as the ball was bounced and it was such a relief the way that game played out.

When Cameron put them up before we responded late on through De Goey, I thought we were gone.

I still can't believe that simply awesome goal but in response to going down. The centre clearance and handball from Daicos. The finish. No way. I couldn't believe it because we needed a miracle and we got it.

Sidebottom's finish from 60m?

Mate. Bobby Hills work? Thinking back it was like a dream. Even how nice the day was so sunny and still. Bobby Bloody Hill!!!!!!

:cool:

I was 17 in 1990 and it was very special for me. I only vaguely remember the losses but I knew all about the history and the Colliwobbles. It was also against an arch enemy. When Ezard gave away the stupid 50 I thought we could win. It meant so much to people much older than me who had never seen one after our longest drought.

2010 was special because it was fun to watch. We just smashed St Kilda.

2023 amazing... what more can I say. I honestly thought we were stuffed after the debacle of 2021. All those players that missed out in 2018 deserved it... I'm so happy for all the players.

They are all great, but I think it depends on your age which one you saviour the most.

I was to young for 1990, so that's out by default sadly.

It's tough to split as both have their great memories that mean the most to me.

For 2023 I was there at the MCG and it was the single most greatest day of my life.

Even though I wasn't at the MCG in 2010 it was the last Grand Final we were in before my dad passed away and whilst I didn't watch the replay with him I can still remember the phone call with him after the game and presentations finished. He was in tears. A memory I'll never forget.

1966 I have a vague memory, I was 6 at the time. !970 I can remember well. I was at a friends place and was told to go home in the last quarter as my friends father was getting visibly upset. Arriving home I was met by by next door neighbor who barracked for Carlton. Inside my sisters were crying.

2023 is my favorite for the simple reason that it was the first close GF we have ever won since I have been watching. All the rest we have lost, but not this one, finally the gods favored us!

Its hard to put into words what 23 means for me. As a 40ish year old man, I think satisfaction. More than out and out screaming and yelling, its just satisfaction, and pride. Its the culmination of 5 years, with acknowlegement to the Buckley program, and particularly 18 monthes of watching close games and seeing a real ruthless and never say die side of the team come out.

2010 was amazing as a 30ish year old, so I was old enough to appreciate the time between 1990 as a 10 year old, but it was a little anticlimactic in the best way as we smashed them and it really was over at Q time.

1990 I could recite you every word of the eddie mcguire narrated "Bound for glory" video tape. I was obsessed. But I was 10, and you dont appreciate it at that age, although it does cement some principles about how to follow your team.

But 2023 is for every one of use to enjoy a succinct end to a brilliant 2 years of footy with so many amazing close finishes and monents. Itll be hard to top this one for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back