Which premiership side is the best of the last four years?

Which premiership side is the best of the last four years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard question to answer, but some stats worth noting.

Western Bulldogs (2016)
  • H&A record = 15-7 (115.4%) = 7th
  • 4-0 finals record (average winning margin 25 points, 2 interstate victories)
  • Defeated minor premier in Grand Final.
  • All Australians: Marcus Bontempelli and Matthew Boyd.
Richmond (2017)
  • H&A record = 15-7 (118.3%) = 3rd
  • 3-0 finals record (average winning margin 45 points)
  • Defeated minor premier in Grand Final.
  • All Australians: Alex Rance and Dustin Martin.
West Coast (2018)
  • H&A record = 16-6 (121.4%) = 2nd
  • 3-0 finals record (average winning margin 29 points, 1 interstate victory)
  • Defeated 3rd placed team in Grand Final.
  • All Australians: Shannon Hurn, Jeremy McGovern, Andrew Gaff
Richmond (2019)
  • H&A record = 16-6 (113.7%) = 3rd
  • 3-0 finals record (average winning margin 55 points, 1 interstate victory)
  • Defeated 6th placed team in Grand Final.
  • All Australians: Dylan Grimes, Bachar Houli.
You also forgot one significant stat.

I get this stupid stat rammed down my throat about Premiership sides averraging 100 points a game in Attack and conceding no more than 86 points in defence during the regular season.

Not one of those 4 teams averaged 100 points a game in attack,

2016 Dogs: 84 points a game in Attack, 72 points a game in defence.

2017 Tigers: 90.5 points a game in attack, 76.5 points a game in defence.

2018 Eagles: 91 points a game in attack, 75 points a game in defence.

2019 tigers: 86 points a game in attack, 73 points a game in defence.

I think you might need to think about that lol. When rating the premiership teams that took the field, it is right to consider the strength of the opposition they faced, but not consider what players they themselves had missing....but I am not sure will get that. ;)

So why did you take into account the whole finals series and in fact whole season?

So why did you take into account the whole finals series and in fact whole season?

It is simply because I am not certain where to start and finish with my answer. I have answered the questioned strictly, and then given some other sort of related scenarios and answered those as well, including the overall careers of the players who went to make up the premiership 22.

Some other posters were writing things like "team A clearly" without defining what question they were answering or directly addressing the question asked. And in most cases without giving any strong reasoning...

Richmond 2019 then 2017 , just look at the winning margins , we have almost belted every side each final bar the geelong pf where we came back at half time.

We are obviously the better team and much better finals side.

I'd be thinking Richmond if considering the sides over/around the whole period in question.

Expected them to lose against the Crows in 17. Think they probably just got a touch ahead of themselves after a pretty dominant year in 2018. Did enough early when they had injuries to cash in on their fixture at the back end in 2019 - had a crunch game against the Eagles in round 22 and came up trumps after getting jumped in the first quarter -probably decided the flag there given the Eagles appear to have thrown the kitchen sink at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned how lucky the dogs and west coast are to be in this conversation at all, if memory serves both were a goal away from being knocked out of their finals series.
So was Hawthorn in 2013-14 & my club in 2007, both are regarded as all time great teams, being within a goal of being knocked out doesn’t make West Coast any worse than teams who won it without that final margin....It actually says more about the quality of performance of their opposition. That’s why so many people are saying the Eagles, because they played an opponent in Collingwood who really tested them & they still won without 3 of their top players.

If only we got to see Tigers v WC 2019 GF... Would have been very interesting!

2017 & 2019 had impressive margins but will be forgotten in many years from now compared to 2018.

West coast had a lot go wrong in 18 also:

Injuries:

Liam Ryan - Missed 11 games with an ankle
Shuey - Missed 6 games with a hammy
Darling - Missed 7-8 games with an ankle
Shep - Missed the Prelim + GF
Nic Nat - Knee

Then you had the Gaff incident as well.

Richmond 2019 then 2017 , just look at the winning margins , we have almost belted every side each final bar the geelong pf where we came back at half time.

We are obviously the better team and much better finals side.

Playing the entire 2nd half of the season at home has its perks. For context, WC beat you by 10 goals on their home deck. You scraped over the line when we played you at the G.

And here comes the Tigers WC s**t fight in 3..2..1.
Most posts have been pretty good, until this one anyway
Playing the entire 2nd half of the season at home has its perks. For context, WC beat you by 10 goals on their home deck. You scraped over the line when we played you at the G.

Playing the entire 2nd half of the season at home has its perks.
hahahhaha that old chestnut again, if you look closely youd notice there are multiple vic teams that share the same home ground and if you look again we travelled alot first half of the year with injuries. moral of the story is if you are good enough you will win and the best team usually wins it

if youre suggesting the only reason why we won the flag was because we had home games then you are kidding LOL
your team had a home game against the hawks and ****ed it up, obviously because you guys were NOT good enough, we on the other hand were good enough and won those games. making us the best side in the comp atm, let that sink into your salty brain LOL

Eagles.

One goal loss to the Tigers after Venables had Dusty on the leash until he went off injured and also misisng NN, Eagles could and should have put the Tigers out of the top 4 in 2019. They also blew that match against Collingwood ( NN also went off I believe ) and of courde that catasrophe against the Hawks in round 23. But that game against the Tiges in 2019 showed that even WCE at 65 percent could match it with Richmond.

In any case the Eagles of 2018 were the strongest imo. Their best would have beat Richmond of 2017&19 as well as the Doggies of 2016.

I think.

dogs were gifted the win against the Swans in 2016
Adelaide were Adelaide in 2017
Richmond were gifted a run of 160 matches in a row at the MCG

WCE came from 5 goals down missing 3 stars against a side that torched Richmond the week before.

Eagles are the superior side and their strongest, THE Best.

hahahhaha that old chestnut again, if you look closely youd notice there are multiple vic teams that share the same home ground and if you look again we travelled alot first half of the year with injuries. moral of the story is if you are good enough you will win and the best team usually wins it

if youre suggesting the only reason why we won the flag was because we had home games then you are kidding LOL
your team had a home game against the hawks and f’ed it up, obviously because you guys were NOT good enough, we on the other hand were good enough and won those games. making us the best side in the comp atm, let that sink into your salty brain LOL

Did I say you weren't the best team last year?

Calm down sunshine.

Back