Which premiership side is the best of the last four years?

Which premiership side is the best of the last four years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond 2019. Even though they finished 3rd on the ladder, they were the best side, the favourites, the team to beat heading into the finals series.

2016 Sydney were the best team.
2017 Adelaide were the best team.
2018 Richmond were the best team.
2019 Richmond were the best team.

only once in the past 4 years has the best team won.

Because the 2018 G.F was voted the best of the decade by our illustrious B.F posters and also an outside poll.
Question is who was the best side, not what was the best Grand Final

Richmond 2019. Even though they finished 3rd on the ladder, they were the best side, the favourites, the team to beat heading into the finals series.

2016 Sydney were the best team.
2017 Adelaide were the best team.
2018 Richmond were the best team.
2019 Richmond were the best team.

only once in the past 4 years has the best team won.
interesting stat

2018 Richmond traveled 5 times for 1 win

2018 eagles traveled 12 times for 9 wins.

interesting stat

2018 Richmond traveled 5 times for 1 win

2018 eagles traveled 12 times for 9 wins.
Interesting stat

West Coast lost 3 times at home during the season. Richmond none

O.K my bad. But kinda, sorta because WC won against the odds in a nailbiter i would have thought WC was the better side?
West Coast were better than Collingwood that year. But Richmond were the best side.

Richmond finished 2 games and 15% clear on top of the ladder.

West Coast were better than Collingwood that year. But Richmond were the best side.

Richmond finished 2 games and 15% clear on top of the ladder.
Doesn't work that way Collingwood flogged them to get to the Granny and Wc then beat Collingwood.

What did I say that wasnt true?
For a start, 43 points is, by definition, not 10 goals
And you were being deliberately inflammatory, doing nothing but trying to diminish one sides achievements in order to promote your own side. Other posts in this thread at least try to show some sort of balance.

For example, here are my thoughts.
I think Richmond 2019 and West Coast 2018 are the strongest sides of the four. They showed the most consistency across the season despite facing adversity, as West Coast entered the finals arguably without their two best players, while Richmond were absolutely decimated in the first half of the year, and were without their 5 time reigning AA full back for all bar just over half a game. Despite this, both teams were able to secure top 4 positions.
Both teams held 16-6 records and West Coast had a higher percentage, but I think the main difference is in the two finals campaigns. Both teams had a crushing win over an opponent who finished outside the top 4, Melbourne were clearly not ready for the occasion while GWS were clearly cooked. Richmond and West Coast were both ruthless in disposing of these teams. They also both had a fighting win over a top 4 opponent on their home ground, both around the 3 goal mark.
But, when facing top 4 opposition away from home, Richmond powered to an 8 goal victory, while West Coast fought to a classic 5 point win. West Coast were magnificent in this game to come from nowhere in the first quarter, but it’s clearly not quite the same as Richmond’s win over Brisbane. In my view that is why I have Richmond 2019 ahead of West Coast 2018, though I understand I am a biased viewer and you will clearly think the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't work that way Collingwood flogged them to get to the Granny and Wc then beat Collingwood.
Teams lose games, Richmond lost in an upset (a bad one) but they were the best best side all year. It was their premiership to lose, and they lost it. Just like Sydney lost theirs in 2016, Adelaide lost theirs in 2017. The best teams kept losing until Richmond 2019.

Collingwood already lost to West Coast the first week of the finals, shouldn’t of been in the Grand Final in my opinion.

Collingwood already lost to West Coast the first week of the finals, shouldn’t of been in the Grand Final in my opinion.
This comment makes no sense at all, there have been plenty of teams lose in week 1 & go onto win the whole thing.....Whilst that Prelim win vs the Tigers was an upset, to say they shouldn’t of been there is just ridiculous...Upsets in sport have always happened, & will continue to happen as long as it’s played...The actual topic is a good one, my opinion is Eagles>Tigers (19)>Tigers (17)>Dogs.

Eagles.

One goal loss to the Tigers after Venables had Dusty on the leash until he went off injured and also misisng NN, Eagles could and should have put the Tigers out of the top 4 in 2019. They also blew that match against Collingwood ( NN also went off I believe ) and of courde that catasrophe against the Hawks in round 23. But that game against the Tiges in 2019 showed that even WCE at 65 percent could match it with Richmond.

In any case the Eagles of 2018 were the strongest imo. Their best would have beat Richmond of 2017&19 as well as the Doggies of 2016.

I think.
Richmond were missing Rance, Cotchin and Nankervis against the Eagles last year, bigger outs than what West Coast had

Secret men's business (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) the truth exposed:

2016:
V.O.S.S progression
Dogs- 2, 6, 8, 8 = 24
Syd- 3, 7, 3, 4 = 17

D.P.G
Dogs- 29.38
Syd- 37.20

2017:
V.O.S.S progression
Rich- 5, 5, 9, 9 = 28
Adel- 6, 5, 4, 5 = 20

D.P.G
Rich- 21.25
Adel- 43.38

2018:
V.O.S.S progression
WC- 4, 3, 8, 9 = 24
Coll- 6, 3, 6, 4 = 19

D.P.G
WC- 31.18
Coll- 30.91

2019:
V.O.S.S progression
Rich- 5, 7, 9, 8 = 29
GWS- 3, 4, 2, 1 = 10

D.P.G
Rich- 21.29
GWS- 120.33

Volume Of Scoring Shots, Disposals Per Goal.

How is our V.O.S.S when we have a loss ?
The importance of D.P.G is plain to see.

This comment makes no sense at all, there have been plenty of teams lose in week 1 & go onto win the whole thing.....Whilst that Prelim win vs the Tigers was an upset, to say they shouldn’t of been there is just ridiculous...Upsets in sport have always happened, & will continue to happen as long as it’s played...The actual topic is a good one, my opinion is Eagles>Tigers (19)>Tigers (17)>Dogs.

I’m not a fan of team losing to higher ranked teams during final still being able to challenge for the flag.. It’s not the only time. West Coast finished higher than Collingwood in 2018, West Coast defeated Collingwood in a final. In my opinion West Coast have proven already they are a superior team. Yet Collingwood get to challenge West Coast in the Grand Final on Collingwood’s home ground. That is what is ridiculous.

2015 West Coast finish higher than Hawthorn, West Coast defeat Hawthorn in a final, Yet Hawthorn gets a home Grand Final against West Coast????? And Hawthorn are then premiers??? West Coast rightly should feel ripped off about 2015.

Hahahahahah

Seriously ... the Richmond team is a very good team but they played very ordinary opposition in the GF last year. Compared to 2018 ... the game was very boring.

To come from 5 goals down and grind out a win with skill and class across the remaining 3 quarters was possibly one of the best games that I have seen in 40 years watching footy.

I was there ... record crowd ... brilliant game ... both powerhouse clubs with unflinching supporters ... down to the last 2 minutes. Game ends in what will become an iconic passage of play.

You know what ... if the Pies had won that day ... I would have said fair enough. Both clubs gave it everything and there was a ton of talent on display from both clubs. Little wonder it has been voted the best game in the last 50 years by many people - it is and there's no doubt about it.

You don't win from 5 goals down in a GF unless you have something special going on in your team. It's not always just about talent ... there's much more to a successful team than talent. For a team to even believe that they can come back after being 5 goals down speaks volumes about the heart of the team.

Richmond 2019? Very hard to assess - the opposition was truly woeful. Good if you're a Richmond supporter but it doesn't make them the best in the last 4 years.

Seriously ... the Richmond team is a very good team but they played very ordinary opposition in the GF last year. Compared to 2018 ... the game was very boring.

To come from 5 goals down and grind out a win with skill and class across the remaining 3 quarters was possibly one of the best games that I have seen in 40 years watching footy.

I was there ... record crowd ... brilliant game ... both powerhouse clubs with unflinching supporters ... down to the last 2 minutes. Game ends in what will become an iconic passage of play.

You know what ... if the Pies had won that day ... I would have said fair enough. Both clubs gave it everything and there was a ton of talent on display from both clubs. Little wonder it has been voted the best game in the last 50 years by many people - it is and there's no doubt about it.

You don't win from 5 goals down in a GF unless you have something special going on in your team. It's not always just about talent ... there's much more to a successful team than talent. for a team to believe that they can come back after being 5 goals down speaks volumes.

Richmond 2019? Very hard to assess - the opposition was truly woeful. Good if you're a Richmond supporter but it doesn't make them the best in the last 4 years.
Agree with the sentiment of the post.

The 2018 GF was far superior as a spectacle. I really enjoyed that game as a neutral. But does winning a great to watch game because it’s close mean that the side that won it was better than other years premiership teams?
Not for me.

But this is a thread asking for opinion, and some people’s opinion on best side could be heavily weighted toward this factor of the most enjoyable game to watch.

I’d prefer to rank the teams toward the back end of that year, particularly in finals. For that I believe the 2016 and 2017 teams had similar tenacious traits. But the 2019 team was superior to both of them. The 2018 team was very good as well. Hard to spilt the last two for mine.

4 years is such a small time frame.

Richmond on another shelf above & totally destroyed their opponents. Cakewalk.

West Coast showed true heart & overcame adversity with a massive comeback.

Bulldogs with all finals away on the trot. Awesome performance.

Depends what character you deem as ‘the best’.

I’m not a fan of team losing to higher ranked teams during final still being able to challenge for the flag.. It’s not the only time. West Coast finished higher than Collingwood in 2018, West Coast defeated Collingwood in a final. In my opinion West Coast have proven already they are a superior team. Yet Collingwood get to challenge West Coast in the Grand Final on Collingwood’s home ground. That is what is ridiculous.

2015 West Coast finish higher than Hawthorn, West Coast defeat Hawthorn in a final, Yet Hawthorn gets a home Grand Final against West Coast????? And Hawthorn are then premiers??? West Coast rightly should feel ripped off about 2015.
We will agree to disagree with this sentiment. In my opinion the double chance is there for a reason, & if you’re good enough to win it after losing in week 1 you deserve the flag without a doubt.

We will agree to disagree with this sentiment. In my opinion the double chance is there for a reason, & if you’re good enough to win it after losing in week 1 you deserve the flag without a doubt.
We will be disagreeing. Only in Australian sports can you lose a finals/playoff game or series and still win the championship. Losers in finals tournaments are not champions.

Back