Which premiership team had the most dominant finals series (criteria AFL era)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
hwthorn 2008 - total diff = 168 greater than both of richmonds
Absolutely my list has Hawthorn number 2 after Essendon 2000

The criteria though isnt just total winning difference it also required fairly dominant wins in each final.

My thread was based on a legitimate question but so many people jump to conclusions because it has Richmond in the title, the problem isnt Richmond supporters.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Edited title to stop the angst ridden blow ins whining about Richmond, my questio was legit I was to lazy to research so started a thread.
We now have
1 Ess 2000
2 Haw 2008
3 Coll 2010
4 Rich 2019
5 Rich 2017

Just to reiterate it required not only the largest total winning margin but also all finals wins to be dominant otherwise Geelong would sit second, 5 points over Collingwood in 2007 final was not dominant, imo.

Chumly

Senior List
May 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
If yoi could read you would understand that no validation is being looked for just a legitimate question

But when someone gives you a legitimate answer you refuse to accept their opinion.

That's the problem.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
But when someone gives you a legitimate answer you refuse to accept their opinion.

That's the problem.
What are you on about go back and read my posts, an Essendon supporter quoted 2000 I agreed a Magpie mentioned 2010 I agreed a Hawk 2008 again I agreed, the only I dont agree with is Geelong 2007 and that because my criteria was most dominant by that it required dominant wins in each game, while the Cats point wise is second after Essendon they were only dominant in 2 of 3 games beating Collingwood by 5 points only.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
But the title still says grand final

Now your argument is about finals series in general.

Get it right.
No it had to include winning the Grand Final all teams listed won the Grand final, sorry not sure what you're on about?

The title says Grand Final winning finals side by that I meant dominant in all finals played and the Grand Final, it was written late at night after afew drinks, maybe I wasnt clear enough?

Chumly

Senior List
May 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
No it had to include winning the Grand Final all teams listed won the Grand final, sorry not sure what you're on about?

Maybe if the title was along the lines of

"Which premiership team had the most dominant finals series (criteria 2000 - present)?"

As opposed to

Is Richmond the most dominant Grand Final winning finals side in history currently Essendon 2000 = no.1

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Geelong 07 clearly more dominant than Collingwood 2010
Have we forgotten the whole draw thing?

I don't know whether that actually takes away from those runs compared to others though.
The requirement was dominant in every game, I forgot the draw and Geelong ahad one win by 5 points which is why they are not listed high

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
As there hasn't been much on the forums about Richmond lately I thought I would see how this goes.

On dominance in each game through a finals series, forget who the competition is or how good you may think they are, is Richmonds two Premiership years the two most dominant in the history of football, I'm asking as I cant be bothered looking myself but surely they are right up there.

Qualifying final v Geelong, MCG: 10.6 (66) to 3.6 (24). Won by 51 points.

Preliminary final v Greater Western Sydney, MCG: 10.6 (66) to 4.7 (31). Won by 36 points.

Grand Final v Adelaide, MCG: 10.8 (68) to 4.5 (29). Won by 48 points.
Total 135 points

Qualifying final v Brisbane, Gabba: 11.1 (67) to 4.7 (31). Won by 47 points.

Preliminary final v Geelong, MCG: 8.8 (56) to 2.4 (16). Won by 19 points.

Grand Final v Greater Western Sydney, MCG: 10.7 (67) to 2.1 (13). Won by 89 points.
Total 155

Geelong 2007 are certainly up there with probably the greatest winning total in finals history with 228 but they did only win their prelim by 5 points against Collingwood so not a dominant win, possibly the same could be said against our 19 point win against Geelong this year but over a whole finals series has there been a more dominant, dominance?

No throwing stones.
Your maths is terrible. There are so many mistake in those winning margins its not funny. Seek tutoring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The requirement was dominant in every game, I forgot the draw and Geelong ahad one win by 5 points which is why they are not listed high
Yes the requirment was done to make your club look the best. Forget using average winning margin in finals. That doesn't make Richmond look the best. Also forget home and away results. That also makes Richmond look average. Take this to the Richmond board.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Your maths is terrible. There are so many mistake in those winning margins its not funny. Seek tutoring.
Copied and pasted directly from the article which gave me the idea for the thread, no proof checking done.

Take it to Tony Greenberg if you have a whine you need to get off your chest.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yes the requirment was done to make your club look the best. Forget using average winning margin in finals. That doesn't make Richmond look the best. Also forget home and away results. That also makes Richmond look average. Take this to the Richmond board.
Taken on the stats used in the article about our second half dominance in finals I wanted to see how dominant we were, we come out 4th and 5th as it is.

If you want a thread to suit your agenda then start one.

Why do you cats whine so much?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Geelong 2011 up there for me.
Yeah that fits the criteria well, 3 dominant finals wins 117 points total winning difference makes them currently 6th, remember Im not making judgements on quality of opposition just the need to dominate all finals then whoever has the biggest difference in winning margins.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
A good call, moreso because each team we beat had won 17 H&A games or better that year. West Coast who finished 4th would of been minor premiers if it was this year!
Good point but as I said Im making no judgement on the opposition, its too hard, take this year Giants were hard as a cats head through the finals, then choked on a furball, same with us last year v Collingwood.

Previous form does not necessarilly reproduce itself in the big one or in finals as you Cats should well know.

Eternal Schism

Senior List
Feb 17, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Souths

QF: 124 to 62 = 62 point margin

PF: 120 to 79 = 41 point margin
(Mind you, we were up by 81 points at the 12 minute mark of the 3rd and took the foot off the pedal)
View attachment 759450

GF: 108 to 52 = 56 point margin

Nice job ignoring that little thing called the drawn grand final, definitely counts against a truly dominating finals performance.

lordbob

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep close but its still Essendon 2000, of course Richmond did it twice but you are in second place Pushing our wins to 3rd and 4th at this stage.

Geelong 2007 = 230 points differential
Hawthorn 2015 = 115 (including -32 for losing their first game to wescoast, so after that loss they went +147 in their next 3 finals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back