Which premiership team had the most dominant finals series (criteria AFL era)

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I didnt write that article and as you like to live on your 07 win I thought you woukd like it.
They all only count for one flag whether you win by 1 or 100, just interesting how
2019 is actually the most dominant GF win in history, not largest that goes to the Cats 07 but without a doubt the most dominant.

So if all you wanted was another Richmond 'pat on the back' thread why didn't you just go with the that instead of trying to dress it up as some scientific comparison.

I didnt write that article and as you like to live on your 07 win I thought you woukd like it.
They all only count for one flag whether you win by 1 or 100, just interesting how
2019 is actually the most dominant GF win in history, not largest that goes to the Cats 07 but without a doubt the most dominant.
What is this article to which you keep referring?

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Problem is all games were to be dominant wins, Geelong 2007 beat Coll by 5 points.
Collingwood 2010 was after a draw.

I have Hawthorn 08 higher Richmonds two wins lower, hard to judge but my criteria was to sit back at 3/4 time and enjoy the win.

It was late on a sturday night with a few gins under the belt so my early posts need some fact checking.
Fair enough. By your criteria I would say Essendon 2000 is in a different league to all others. Hawks' and Tiges' percentages are inflated by opponents' atrocious goal-kicking

Fair enough. By your criteria I would say Essendon 2000 is in a different league to all others. Hawks' and Tiges' percentages are inflated by opponents' atrocious goal-kicking

The reason why the 08 Hawks are up near the top is because they beat a team with a statistically better year than the Essendon 2000 team in order to win the GF. The Bulldogs and Saints were no slouch teams either.

Saints had blokes like Riewoldt, Ball, Montagna, Milne, Hayes, Goddard and others on that list who were all competing in premierships for the next 2 years.

All things considered, and I hate saying it as I dislike Geelong with an intense passion, but their team just had so much raw talent throughout that period it was unbelievable. Their forward line was their only real weakness but even then they had a system that could see them score better than anyone.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As there hasn't been much on the forums about Richmond lately I thought I would see how this goes.

On dominance in each game through a finals series, forget who the competition is or how good you may think they are, is Richmonds two Premiership years the two most dominant in the history of football, I'm asking as I cant be bothered looking myself but surely they are right up there.

Qualifying final v Geelong, MCG: 10.6 (66) to 3.6 (24). Won by 51 points.

Preliminary final v Greater Western Sydney, MCG: 10.6 (66) to 4.7 (31). Won by 36 points.

Grand Final v Adelaide, MCG: 10.8 (68) to 4.5 (29). Won by 48 points.
Total 135 points

Qualifying final v Brisbane, Gabba: 11.1 (67) to 4.7 (31). Won by 47 points.

Preliminary final v Geelong, MCG: 8.8 (56) to 2.4 (16). Won by 19 points.

Grand Final v Greater Western Sydney, MCG: 10.7 (67) to 2.1 (13). Won by 89 points.
Total 155

Geelong 2007 are certainly up there with probably the greatest winning total in finals history with 228 but they did only win their prelim by 5 points against Collingwood so not a dominant win, possibly the same could be said against our 19 point win against Geelong this year but over a whole finals series has there been a more dominant, dominance?

No throwing stones.
Mate my team mate

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The reason why the 08 Hawks are up near the top is because they beat a team with a statistically better year than the Essendon 2000 team in order to win the GF. The Bulldogs and Saints were no slouch teams either.

Saints had blokes like Riewoldt, Ball, Montagna, Milne, Hayes, Goddard and others on that list who were all competing in premierships for the next 2 years.

All things considered, and I hate saying it as I dislike Geelong with an intense passion, but their team just had so much raw talent throughout that period it was unbelievable. Their forward line was their only real weakness but even then they had a system that could see them score better than anyone.
Richmond played weak opposition. Their “finals dominance” reflects this only.

We all know it.

But gee - doesn’t take anything away from their flags. Tiges fans must be pretty happy

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
If the topic is, 'which is the greatest team?', then absolutely you have to consider the quality of the opposition, and, as you say, that's why the Hawks and Cats and even Collingwood in '10 are more impressive than Dons or recent Tiges, imo. But the OP was about dominance in Finals, which I think is just about scoreboard domination of whoever is put in front of you.

If the topic is, 'which is the greatest team?', then absolutely you have to consider the quality of the opposition, and, as you say, that's why the Hawks and Cats and even Collingwood in '10 are more impressive than Dons or recent Tiges, imo. But the OP was about dominance in Finals, which I think is just about scoreboard domination of whoever is put in front of you.

We lost to you blokes with 2 rounds to go in the season, then we won our final two games by 70 points, our qualifying and prelims by 50 and then the GF against the best team assembled for a long period of time by 26.

I do think level of competition does have to be factored in as well because Gold Coast would beat Ardmona by 500 points but it doesn't quite feel as dominant as Richmond's GF win for example.

Hawthorn 2008 up there with the best surely? all 3 games vs Vic teams.

I think opposition quality has to be taken into account rather than points for and against. Beating Geelong (21-1) in 08 by 26 points is much more impressive than GWS (13-9) by 89 in 2019. Same goes for Geelong in 2011 beating Collingwood by 38 who went 20-2 during the season.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Each of the prelim teams, besides Richmond, were quite weak. All were destroyed by a pretty ordinary Hawthorn (other than Richmond) during the H and A season.

Richmond were by far the best team but it was a bit like buying the best house in a bad suburb. Same as 2017.

WC in 2018 were a champion team by comparison. Their fight against Collingwood in the GF with so many injuries is the mark of a great team. WC losing Rioli this year and losing to Hawthorn probably robbed us of watching a far better finals series

Richmond need to be challenged before I start giving them best finals credentials

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Question - were GWS the weakest Grand Final opponent in all history ??
Answer - no. They have regularly made preliminary finals over several years. They're the only team to have won at least one final over the last 4 years. Historically weak grand final opponents are flash in the pan teams who emerge from nowhere and to nowhere duly return. Melbourne finished 14th in 1999, made the GF in 2000, and finished 11th in 2001. Port Adelaide finished 12th in 2006 and 13th in 2008. Puts the 2000 Dons' and 2007 Cats' finals dominance in perspective, doesn't it?

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Each of the prelim teams, besides Richmond, were quite weak. All were destroyed by a pretty ordinary Hawthorn (other than Richmond) during the H and A season.

Richmond were by far the best team but it was a bit like buying the best house in a bad suburb. Same as 2017.

WC in 2018 were a champion team by comparison. Their fight against Collingwood in the GF with so many injuries is the mark of a great team. WC losing Rioli this year and losing to Hawthorn probably robbed us of watching a far better finals series

Richmond need to be challenged before I start giving them best finals credentials
RFC will be restless and incomplete until your imprimatur comes through.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Actually our last three flag winning years we have cruised through the finals almost stress free
42 points
24 points
81 points
total 147 points

Yes I do realise we had 37 years of fail between these dominations, I've moved on though.

The strength of the competition needs to be taken in to account. An ageing Geelong, a young inexperienced Brisbane, West Coast falling away was a strange one admittedly, Collingwood were up and down, GWS crippled by injuries, Essendon meh and Bulldogs very inexperienced as well.

There was no power team. Like Hawks 2012-15 or Geelong 07 - 2011. A good year to slip in and win it when you had no injuries at the right time. How would Richmond 2019 go against these other teams though?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Then they wouldnt dominate 3 or 4 games therefore they are excluded anyway same as Geelong in 2007 great wins in 2 games 5 points in the other, hence didn't make the cut.

As it is Essendon 2000 looks to be the winner with Richmonds two dominant wins close behind.

How is it that a side can’t make the cut because one in the three contributing scores doesn’t count in your eyes?

In comparing cricket series averages are we going to start marking players down because they hit two double centuries and a duck compared to three scores of 110?

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
How is it that a side can’t make the cut because one in the three contributing scores doesn’t count in your eyes?

In comparing cricket series averages are we going to start marking players down because they hit two double centuries and a duck compared to three scores of 110?
Basically because thats how I started the thread I understand the concern but I was looking for teams that by 3/4 time the supporters were relaxing with a beer knowing they were through to the next leg, Geelong in 2011 fir the bill 07 although a massive win in two of the three games had that 5 poinyt win that went down to the wire.

I wouldn't worry too much it was late Saturday and Id been drinking so the idea and the thread has many flaws.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

So let me get this straight. 2017 and 2019 = the weakest years in history
Gotcha

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
The strength of the competition needs to be taken in to account. An ageing Geelong, a young inexperienced Brisbane, West Coast falling away was a strange one admittedly, Collingwood were up and down, GWS crippled by injuries, Essendon meh and Bulldogs very inexperienced as well.

There was no power team. Like Hawks 2012-15 or Geelong 07 - 2011. A good year to slip in and win it when you had no injuries at the right time. How would Richmond 2019 go against these other teams though?
There was a power team. Richmond. No one wants to believe that though.

Back