Which premiership will be remembered as better - Geelong 2011 or Hawthorn 2014?

Which team was better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 was the irresistible force meeting the immovable object. Media and fans desperately wanted Hawthorn to lose. Sydney were the team to beat all year. However on grand final day Hawthorn managed to make the Swans look like they were playing AFLW standard football.

It was the best dismantling of an opoosition teams structure anyone will ever see in their life time. Tippett will be having delicious nightmares about Cyril for the rest of his life.

2014 was the irresistible force meeting the immovable object. Media and fans desperately wanted Hawthorn to lose. Sydney were the team to beat all year. However on grand final day Hawthorn managed to make the Swans look like they were playing AFLW standard football.

It was the best dismantling of an opoosition teams structure anyone will ever see in their life time. Tippett will be having delicious nightmares about Cyril for the rest of his life.

I dont deny it was a smashing, i dont think people wanted sydney to win, after franklin and tippett i think most wanted us to lose

Oh no every man and his dog wanted Sydney to win and Hawthorn to lose :( :p

Luckily the footy gods were smiling on the Hawks that grand final day!!

think everyone wanted two different teams

i prefer 2012

think everyone wanted two different teams

i prefer 2012

I don't prefer the result but I can re-watch the 2012 grand final and not cry rivers of tears :p as it was a good game.
I could barely stomach the 5 minute highlights package on youtube, but I forced myself to watch the match in full prior to the 2014 grand final. And since then (I guess Hawthorn getting revenge in 2014, made 2012 easier to handle :p) it's a match I'll watch a few times a year.

I don't prefer the result but I can re-watch the 2012 grand final and not cry rivers of tears :p as it was a good game.
I could barely stomach the 5 minute highlights package on youtube, but I forced myself to watch the match in full prior to the 2014 grand final. And since then (I guess Hawthorn getting revenge in 2014, made 2012 easier to handle :p) it's a match I'll watch a few times a year.

i can watch 2006 cos we fought back, 2016 ive watched angrily, but 2014 was bad enough at the time :p

I believe the swans 2014 was a fantastic side, im sure most disagree, but that makes the hawks 2014 that awesome because they just were a level beyond

I thought when sydney had possession, they went OK. They just didn’t get it too much

Geelong 2011

Which team was better? Hawthorn

But due to Hawthorn being so good in that era, their premierships blended into one
Hence why I remember Geelong more.

i can watch 2006 cos we fought back, 2016 ive watched angrily, but 2014 was bad enough at the time :p

I believe the swans 2014 was a fantastic side, im sure most disagree, but that makes the hawks 2014 that awesome because they just were a level beyond

Easy to forget how good Sydney were in 2014 because they lost the GF.

Similar to our 2011 side which lost the GF therefore people forget how good that side was.

Easy to forget how good Sydney were in 2014 because they lost the GF.

Similar to our 2011 side which lost the GF therefore people forget how good that side was.
Sydney started 1-3 then lost 3 more games for the year. 2 to Hawthorn and to Richmond in the last round where they had pretty much secured top spot and from memory rested a few

Hawthorn by a long shot. Can't think of any side facing more adversity and then winning the flag - and in such emphatic fashion.

Plus Buddy went to Sydney, not Gold Coast. If Ablett went to Collingwood I suspect 2011 might have been rather different.

2014 was Hawthorn's greatest ever flag.
collingwood of 2011 were far better than sydney of 2014. By a long long way. Media were labelling that collingwood side the best team in a 100 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Mick describe the 2014 Swans as 'unbeatable', or 'best list ever assembled', or something along those lines?
Swans lost 5 games in the home and away in 2014. Hawthorn as well. Geelong also only lost 5 games. Freemantle was only one game off those 3 teams losing 6 games.

alot of re-writing of history here trying to pretend sydney and hawthorn were well above the pack. They werent. It was just an ordinary season.

certainly nothing like 2009 where geelong and stkilda won the first 13 games straight and only lost 2-3 games each for the season When resting all their players before finals. Nor nothing like 2011 where collingwood only lost to geelong that year. Geelong was the only thing that stopped collingwood from becoming the first ever vfl/afl champion team. Geelong also only losing 3 games in the back half of the season after winning the first 12 odd games in a row and claiming top two. And lets not talk about all the smashings those two teams laid out. Geelong and the pies had percentages around tge 160s. Hawthorn and sydney of 2014 only at 140 and 142.

this stops now. Hawthorn and sydney of 2014 were not juggernauts of the comp in any shape or form.

collingwood and geelong of 2011 were.

Swans lost 5 games in the home and away in 2014. Hawthorn as well. Geelong also only lost 5 games. Freemantle was only one game off those 3 teams losing 6 games.

alot of re-writing of history here trying to pretend sydney and hawthorn were well above the pack. They werent. It was just an ordinary season.

certainly nothing like 2009 where geelong and stkilda won the first 13 games straight and only lost 2-3 games each for the season When resting all their players before finals. Nor nothing like 2011 where collingwood only lost to geelong that year. Geelong was the only thing that stopped collingwood from becoming the first ever vfl/afl champion team. Geelong also only losing 3 games in the back half of the season after winning the first 12 odd games in a row and claiming top two. And lets not talk about all the smashings those two teams laid out. Geelong and the pies had percentages around tge 160s. Hawthorn and sydney of 2014 only at 140 and 142.

this stops now. Hawthorn and sydney of 2014 were not juggernauts of the comp in any shape or form.

LMFAO Geelong were 1 win ahead of the Hawks that season and 2 ahead of the Eagles yet are a juggernaut. Finishing equal on wins with 2 teams and one ahead of the Eagles is just 'ordinary'. We were smashed with injuries in 2014 and still finished equal top and proved the be clearly the best team that season come finals once fully fit.

Going by the commentary lately on Big Footy (not my opinion) then the Geelong 2011 would be better side. The reason being (according to interstate supporters) is because a flag should be considered a lesser achievement if a Victorian side defeats an interstate side in a Grand Final. Come to think of it, how many flags did Hawthorn win against a Victorian side in their 3peat?

Going by the commentary lately on Big Footy (not my opinion) then the Geelong 2011 would be better side. The reason being (according to interstate supporters) is because a flag should be considered a lesser achievement if a Victorian side defeats an interstate side in a Grand Final. Come to think of it, how many flags did Hawthorn win against a Victorian side in their 3peat?

Which will the same number as Richmond during their current run when they hopefully dismantle West Coast or another interstate team in the GF.

Geelong 2011

Which team was better? Hawthorn

But due to Hawthorn being so good in that era, their premierships blended into one
I know I'm biased, but if making that claim, it's probably worth remembering that Geelong of that year had a far better H&A record and went into the GF as favourites. Hawthorn did not, but they produced possibly the most comprehensive 2 hours of footy seen that year on the big day.

It's tough to say when you win three flags, but that Geelong side from 2007 to 2013 underachieved for how good it was, in my view - and there's just one very, very, very dirty day in 2008 to account for that. Someone compiled stats on the best W/L record for 50 games, 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 in VFL/AFL history. That Geelong side has all of those records bar the 300.

Hawthorn 2014: 17-5-68, Points For 2,458 (1st), Points Against 1,746 (6th).

Geelong 2011: 19-3-76, Points For 2,548 (2nd), Points Against 1,619 (2nd).

Probably on balance between attack and defence you have to give it to Geelong, but why do we have to pick ?

Collingwood were a juggernaut for most of 2011 but by the end of the year I'm not sure they were. Over their last 7 games they were 5-2 with obviously the 2 losses to Geelong. Only 1 of the 5 wins was by more than 20 points. They were just going towards the end of the season

Collingwood were a juggernaut for most of 2011 but by the end of the year I'm not sure they were. Over their last 7 games they were 5-2 with obviously the 2 losses to Geelong. Only 1 of the 5 wins was by more than 20 points. They were just going towards the end of the season
so other than geelong they beat every other team. Geelong also beat them in the middle of the season. Me thinks their loses came about late in the season because they played geelong twice. Dont play geelong and they would of had a perfect unbeaten record At the end.

ps.sydney also lost 2 of their last 4 games in 2014 except they didnt play the premier twice at the end like collingwood did. They lost to a middle of the road side.

so other than geelong they beat every other team. Geelong also beat them in the middle of the season. Me thinks their loses came about late in the season because they played geelong twice. Dont play geelong and they would of had a perfect unbeaten record At the end.

ps.sydney also lost 2 of their last 4 games in 2014 except they didnt play the premier twice at the end like collingwood did. They lost to a middle of the road side.
No doubt Geelong were a very good team. However, Collingwood's level had dropped towards the end of the year. They belted Hawthorn and West Coast in the middle of that year yet by finals they struggled to beat both of them.

Sydney rested some players in their loss to Richmond, which was the only other team they lost to apart from Hawthorn after round 4 of that season

No doubt Geelong were a very good team. However, Collingwood's level had dropped towards the end of the year. They belted Hawthorn and West Coast in the middle of that year yet by finals they struggled to beat both of them.

Sydney rested some players in their loss to Richmond, which was the only other team they lost to apart from Hawthorn after round 4 of that season
So swans lost to two teams in last 4 weeks and the pies lost to one. You arent making a very strong case here.

sydney played two lesser finals teams at home on the scg. they werent tested in any shape or form. And they may of rested a few players against richmond but it was still richmond. Dominating teams dont lose to richmond. The fact they were resting players in round 22 was a big sign that thry had players struggling with injuries. You rest players rounds 18-21. Not round 22 A week before finals.

collingwood did have an easy opponent too in the first final and were never challenged comfortably winning by 20 points. Then played in a thriller and won against the team that would win the next 3 flags. Hardly terrible form. sydney 2014 were in worse form in hindsight. nth were probably the worst prelim opponent in a decade and the swans got them at home at the scg. It papered over the cracks big time.

Last edited:
Back