Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Each of our 4 premierships are memorable

1992 - First flag out of Victoria in 95 years, Like a cork in the Ocean, Matera's goal and Mainy jumping for joy. Tears from Vics as the flag heads west on the Herald Sun
1994 - Best team all year, crushed Geelong by 80 pts on the first Saturday in October to cement us as the team of the 90s in our 3rd Grand Final in 8 years
2006 - Redemption from 2005, held off a fast-finishing Swans to win by 1 point. "Who would've thought the sequel would be just as good as the original" Another Sydney-WCE classic going down to the wire. Buchanan, kick smothered, Chick, Hunter!
2018 - Let me set the scene here. Written off preseason after losing veterans and experience in 2017, 3 stars missing, down by 5 goals. Dom Sheed's clutch goal. Beating Collingwood at the MCG in Grand Final.

Of our 4 flags, which one was the best?!?

Last edited:

Can you add a poll? Would be interesting to see the results...
From after 2018

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I still remember '92 and '94 despite only being 6/8 years old.

We hosted the Grand Final at our house and decked the house out in Blue and Gold, really fun day.
In my free time I used to watch the replay which we taped on VHS, so I've probably watched those two GFs more than any other.
I kind of find both Finals mesh into one these days though, as haven't watched either game for about 20 years.

2005 was my first time at the MCG and it was a hell of an experience, the loss was shattering, but being there took some of the pain away as the lead up was excellent as we were in Melbourne for the whole week enjoying the atmosphere and living it up.

2006 was all business, we booked flights 12 months out for the Friday and leaving Saturday night, so we actually got back in Perth at like 9pm, in time to celebrate the win at home which was fun. The match again was a tight tussle with some magic moments, but didn't have the same excitement as the previous year, the celebrations were great though.

2018 I highly doubt will be topped for me personally. Managed to get tickets to the game with my family and we all flew over on Thursday to soak up the atmosphere in Melbourne and have a bit of fun. The whole season was an unexpected joy and it continued right to the last second. There is always some recency bias with these things, but last year everything came together in an amazing way for me.

Perhaps if we'd won in 2005 I'd say that was my favourite, but it'd have to go to last year.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Poor old 1994, always the forgotten premiership even though it was probably our most dominant season.

I dunno, didn't feel like it until the last couple of games. We had some shockers that year (anyone remember that campaigner Tranquilli? Getting smashed by the Hawks twice and Malthouse leaving the scoreboard up all week? Top of the table clash against Carlton where we had our pants pulled down?).

Things fell into place for us in the finals when our biggest competitors in Carlton got knocked out in straight sets and North were pipped by Ablett after the siren. We got a Geelong side that had played its guts out just to get to a grand final and we should have smashed them by over 100+, we just kept missing up until the last quarter.

Sumich was on the decline, Matera was a bit off by year's end (and was a bit of a shock to come 2nd in the Brownlow). It was more like the last one before the inevitable descent. Was super glad to get it.

The GF is a bit underrated, has some great moments in it, despite the smashing. Watched the 2nd half yesterday and it was end to end action the whole game. Wasn't fast, rebound football. Wasn't full of stoppages or scrappy play. Cats were running with us all day, but we just had too much overall class.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
92 I was 6, so don't remember the game as much as it happened, but still remember the buzz around it. That's around when I became aware of the Eagles and say I became a supporter.

94 was just so dominant, but the first I properly remember.

06 was more relief than anything. Couldn't imagine losing ANOTHER close one to the Swans. Elated though.

18 we finally beat a Melbourne based club at the home of football, and were seen as underdogs. In some ways the sweetest one.

But alas I dunno if I can easily pick one. Suppose it's like picking a favourite child lol.

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
For me 2018, not because it was most recent. This team i consider the least talented out of our four premiership teams, they had a lot of hunger and heart when you look at what happened during the season with injuries and a few minor issues. Was never in my wildest dreams that this team could win, yet they showed us what desire can get you.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
'92. Still a great grand final and the way we worked ourselves back in and then hit the front with some Matera magic. Still love going back and watching it before finals start.
'94 was just pure dominance. Fond memories watching that one as a youngster with some now-gone family members.
Last year is probably on par with '92. Just an amazing game. I still have to pinch myself that it happened.

Although it was great at the time, the 2006 team had a pocket of campaigners that dragged our great club through the mud. I'm happy we got last year, it washed the bad taste out left by the class of 2006. Having said that, I still get nervous with Rowan Jones in the middle near the end. And I love Ash Hansen, who went on to be a premiership player for the mighty black ducks in what is probably the greatest finish to a grand final at any level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Very tempted to choose 2018 because i was there, and it was made even sweeter because i attended the 2015 GF loss and felt like the team had repaid my faith.

But 2006 was off the hook. I was even crazier about the Eagles than I am now, and we had lost the previous years Grand Final to the Swans by less than a goal, which heightened the anxiety for 2006 also being so close. I just remember being at the Leedy hotel and being too nervous to drink. Have never been in such a nail-biting state as i was the final quarter of that game. I wanted one especially for Cuz who carried us through the dark years. Needless to say that final passage of play where Kerr kicked the ball into the centre of the ground where Jones contested Barry last years villain had me screaming at the top of my lungs, and good old RoJo didnt let us down.

With the ball inside Sydneys F50m the siren sounded and ive never felt such exhilaration in all my life. Felt like i had won lotto. And despite being at last years GF in melbourne to witness an amazing win i still havent been close to how i reacted and celebrated in 2006. It was my first GF win as an adult because the 90's i was a kid who didnt understand or appreciate it.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Very tempted to choose 2018 because i was there, and it was made even sweeter because i attended the 2015 GF loss and felt like the team had repaid my faith.

But 2006 was off the hook. I was even crazier about the Eagles than I am now, and we had lost the previous years Grand Final to the Swans by less than a goal, which heightened the anxiety for 2006 also being so close. I just remember being at the Leedy hotel and being too nervous to drink. Have never been in such a nail-biting state as i was the final quarter of that game. I wanted one especially for Cuz who carried us through the dark years. Needless to say that final passage of play where Kerr kicked the ball into the centre of the ground where Jones contested Barry last years villain had me screaming at the top of my lungs, and good old RoJo didnt let us down.

With the ball inside Sydneys F50m the siren sounded and ive never felt such exhilaration in all my life. Felt like i had won lotto. And despite being at last years GF in melbourne to witness an amazing win i still havent been close to how i reacted and celebrated in 2006. It was my first GF win as an adult because the 90's i was a kid who didnt understand or appreciate it.
I have a very similar experience with 06. I was 7 in 92 so didn't really get it and the whole redemption for 05 thing was such a big deal. One part of the broadcast that I loved was the old "5 minute warning" where they took the count-down time away, so you couldn't tell how long to go. Really upped the suspense.

The slight let down for me in 2018 was that by the time shuey marked Maynard's kick-out from the last score, it was pretty obvious we had it in the bag. I still get goose bumps watching that last throw-in from 06, 60m from Sydney's attacking end, only to hear the siren and see Cox go wild! Such a good end to a thriller.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
2018 for me as I was more able to follow completely the whole season due to work ,TV ,social media and internet ..
The excitement of a new stadium and team brand of football we were playing was very special ..

bunderson

Senior List
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
can't wait to add 2019 to the poll.

winning from 5th and NN or Shep for the Norm - won't be able to beat that!

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I have a very similar experience with 06. I was 7 in 92 so didn't really get it and the whole redemption for 05 thing was such a big deal. One part of the broadcast that I loved was the old "5 minute warning" where they took the count-down time away, so you couldn't tell how long to go. Really upped the suspense.

The slight let down for me in 2018 was that by the time shuey marked Maynard's kick-out from the last score, it was pretty obvious we had it in the bag. I still get goose bumps watching that last throw-in from 06, 60m from Sydney's attacking end, only to hear the siren and see Cox go wild! Such a good end to a thriller.
Last year with a five minute warning would've been nuts as well. Imagine not knowing how long is left when Darling dropped that mark.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
2018, 1992, 2006, 1994.

2018 - Largely because of the opposition we played. Geelong and Sydney was at the G is neutral/ foreign territory for both teams but to beat Collingwood at their home ground and giving up a 5 goal lead is a thing of beauty.

The adversities that the team overcame with Sheppard and Naitanui in particular. Redemption for getting our pants pulled down in in 2015.

1992 - The first and a big f/u statement to the VFL.

2006 - The one I remember most from the first 3 flags. Redemption against the Swans was something I wanted desperately and to end up with the premiership tally at 1-1 over the 2 year period was fitting.

1994 - Don't remember much of the game due to travelling up from the country for school holidays, was 7 at the time also. I only remember being fully kitted in my West Coast gear and watching the final minutes at my Uncle's.

1992 with out question.

You never forget when or where you lose your virginity.

You will have better sex, after that.

BUT that special feeling on the first time is priceless.

Of the other three 94 was an easy win, with a group of players who were collectively more talented than any team in the competition and we’re expected to win.

2006 was again expected with the talent in that team.

2018 the next best for me .... good but not great team that won against all expectations and odds.
A character win, a win for the true believers .

Back