Prediction Which previous Pies team does the 2022 version remind you of?

Which previous Pies team does the 2022 version remind you of?

Votes: 4 10.3%

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 13 33.3%

Votes: 6 15.4%

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Makeshift forward line ( pretty much Collingwood tradition although it rules out 02/03 where with Didak Tarrant and Rocca it was pretty good)
Sensational backline (same as every good Collingwood team)
Even spread of talent ( which rules out every year we had Buckley)
Good rucks and ruck depth (which rules out every year we had Malthouse)
Only one bad boy ( which also rules out the Malthouse years)
Superstar first year recruit (best comparison would be the Thomas Pendlebury debut year)
No injuries (1929)

None of the above.

This is a team in the process of becoming better. It's raw and only partially realized potential is getting it across the line in tight contests but finals - and in particular the big dance - is the ultimate crucible.

If we make the finals, they will tell us a lot about where the team actually is and if we somehow make the big dance . . . well . . . all bets are off.

This year actually reminds me a lot of 92 when the club won all there close matches and finished equal top and got knocked out in the 1st week of finals that season like there a logjam of teams vying for top spot and finals.

For me that year was one of my worse years in memory, in 90 when we won and had a young team who should have won again but we had a shocking premiership hangover next yr and did not make finals and then Millane died in the off season and it galvanised the group and we looked likely to win in 92 but it was to be it must be the only time a team finished top and knocked out 1st wk of finals,devastated.

The main reason it looks like 92 again is there are any number of clubs who can finish top and lots of teams just trying to make finals but we must be due a change of fortune somewhere along the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2009. Not quite in flag contention but trending favourably, with blend of old and young, a fast direct high-scoring style and goals spread widely rather than relying on one or two key forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2009. Not quite in flag contention but trending favourably, with blend of old and young, a fast direct high-scoring style and goals spread widely rather than relying on one or two key forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It might be a good spread of goalkickers at present but in 2009/10 we had a lot of goal kicking mids. Not all of our mids are regular contributors to the scoreboard.

Who will be 2023s version of obree Lockyer prestigiacomo fraser and medhurst? Who will be 2023’s version of recruits like Leigh brown , jolly and ball? Who will be 2023’s version of Jack anthony, a highly successful young player who vanished into thin air?

Whilst we have a few veterans to retire off in coming years, I don’t see the starting 22 to radically change like it did in 2010.

none. they are just themselves

We struggled in a lot of games but scraped our way to 13 wins, playing terrible against most of the bottom 8, including losing to all the bottom 4 teams, but came within a kick of making the grand final against the eventual premier. Didn't have the strongest list but plenty of guts and desire

Makeshift forward line ( pretty much Collingwood tradition although it rules out 02/03 where with Didak Tarrant and Rocca it was pretty good)
Superstar first year recruit (best comparison would be the Thomas Pendlebury debut year)
No injuries (1929)

None of the above.

This is a team in the process of becoming better. It's raw and only partially realized potential is getting it across the line in tight contests but finals - and in particular the big dance - is the ultimate crucible.

If we make the finals, they will tell us a lot about where the team actually is and if we somehow make the big dance . . . well . . . all bets are off.
Yeah I have to agree boys, new territory here, and a very new style of coaching for us. Maybe the 2005 feeling of some veterans and some brilliant kids, but its a very different side to the early Pendles/late Bucks set up (no superstar FF).
1977....we came from the bottom to almost pinch one.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Yeah I have to agree boys, new territory here, and a very new style of coaching for us. Maybe the 2005 feeling of some veterans and some brilliant kids, but its a very different side to the early Pendles/late Bucks set up (no superstar FF).

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
No superstar FF can work - in fact it can be a blessing . . . .

Timeline MCG Grand Final day 1970 late in the second quarter . . .

Peter McKenna is in the process of tearing the scum several new rrrrrsoles . . .

Tuddie comes screaming in out of left field . . . straight into Macca . . .

When you have a superstar full forward you base your entire game around their presence . . .

No injuries (1929)
Shhhhh we do not think about let alone mutter those words on the last one. Shhhh.

2006 - while ‘06 seemed largely driven by Swan’s breakout year coming off the pine in the second half of matches we simply found a way to win. It was also our first year with some wins following a GF appearance and subsequent drop off to the bottom depths of the ladder.

Back