Which rivalry would you rate as the biggest in the AFL?

The biggest rivalry in the AFL?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong/Hawthorn is more of a passing fad. Port/Adelaide and WCE/Fremantle don’t have the history. Has to be between two of the big four traditional heavyweights. Going forward I believe it’s going to be Richmond/Collingwood.

Historically it's Carlton v Collingwood ........ At any given momnet it can change depending on events and success of the respective teams

e.g. Hawthorn and Essendon after the Line in the Sand fight, Geelong and Hawthorn from about a decade ago, West Coast and Sydney in the mid 00's

In SA, there are some things you don't discuss - Politics, religion, and footy.

You will find people in SA can be quite hesitant to admit who they support in front of newly met people. That's how serious that rivalry hatred is.
As someone mentioned, there is a real reluctance to tell a new acquaintance who you support, because it can actually stall the chance to become friends. The atmosphere in an office with an even split of fans is tense for a week leading to the game and then there is weeks of gloating and sore feelings afterwards.

My partners father moved to SA from the ACT and chose Port on a whim. He regularly states he wished he’d picked the Crows because it would be easier for us, but he’s too proud to swap now and I can respect that.
Still remember when I was in Adelaide and one of my Crows mates got annoyed at me for telling a random he is a Crows fan and told me not to do it again.

Anyone who has ever stepped foot in South Australia would know Crows v Port is easily the biggest rivalry in the AFL.

'Passing fad'? '10 years'? Yet again, the ignorance flowing out of these pages, and indeed the internet itself, is truly astonishing. The Hawks-Cats rivalry goes back to at least '89, and you could probably stretch it back to '63 when Bobbly Davis buried a dead hawk at Kardinia Park after that Grand Final.

People who have NO idea what they're talking about should just not comment. At all. Ever....

Within their own states I'd probably lean towards Port vs Crows as the fiercest.

Outside of SA it doesn't mean much but you could say that about most AFL rivalries. There aren't many rivalries that transcend local markets at this stage in the AFL like there are in other sports.

In SA, there are some things you don't discuss - Politics, religion, and footy.

You will find people in SA can be quite hesitant to admit who they support in front of newly met people. That's how serious that rivalry hatred is.

Exactly like Rangers versus Celtic in Glasgow, and if you support a small club they will press you, "who do you really support?"

Carlton v Collingwood are the old enemies

Collingwood v Richmond dates back to depression days ... biggest clash in 20s & 30s

Melbourne v Collingwood not even mentioned here but was the biggest game in the 50s & 60s

Carlton v Richmond ... already had history but went to another level from 67-82 ... shared 11/16 premierships

Carlton v Essendon.. it’s like when Sheedy moved the rivalry moved with him through the 80s & 90s

Port v Adelaide... it’s like the history of SA footy ... Port v the rest every time they play

as far as modern day rivalries go (5 years old) the stand out is the Bulldogs v GWS...
The players hate each other and so do the supporters. It’s real and it was born in finals and is based on player poaching, coaches and certain players being targeted on-field etc...
Both teams and the broadcasters would scan any fixture for the game and circle it

Last edited:
Best modern rivalries include:

Freo vs West Coast

Collingwood vs Essendon (ANZAC, could argue its artificial)

Adelaide vs Port (best)

Richmond vs Collingwood

Dogs vs Giants

Hawks Cats

Am I missing any?

Last edited:
In terms of hatred between between fans it’s Collingwood/Carlton, Essendon/Hawthorn, Port/Adelaide

In terms of on field rivalry that always produces good games and good finals it’s GWS/Bulldogs, Collingwood/West Coast and Geelong/Hawthorn but now that Hawthorn are near the bottom I’m not sure how that will go.

If Collingwood and Carlton met in a final the rivalry would take off again

as far as modern day rivalries go (5 years old) the stand out is the Bulldogs v GWS...
The players hate each other and so do the supporters. It’s real and it was born in finals and is based on player poaching, coaches and certain players being targeted on-field etc...
Both teams and the broadcasters would scan any fixture for the game and circle it
The one GWS fan I know actually hated your lot well before the 2016 prelim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Modern Day

Cats v Hawks goes alright
Crows v Port "Showdown"
Dogs v G-dub developing a nice little rivalry

Traditional

Dons v Hawks 80's & 90's
Blues v Pies
Tigers v Blues

In terms of hatred between between fans it’s Collingwood/Carlton, Essendon/Hawthorn, Port/Adelaide

In terms of on field rivalry that always produces good games and good finals it’s GWS/Bulldogs, Collingwood/West Coast and Geelong/Hawthorn but now that Hawthorn are near the bottom I’m not sure how that will go.

If Collingwood and Carlton met in a final the rivalry would take off again

Carlton versus Collingwood attracted a crowd of 9,033 at the Gabba this year (Round 14, 30 August) It's probably still the game which would attract the most fans at overseas exhibition matches. It is synonymous with the sport.

Last edited:
Back