List Mgmt. Which Rookie are you upgrading?

Select your rookie upgrade

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
Considering we have 3 first 22 players into the squad but have 8 players from last season's list going out who are you upgrading to the senior list?

Crippa intimated on AA that we may go for a 38/6 combination. Given the draft depth and the picks we have I don't mind that idea but no doubt will based on the kids available at our picks and rookie upgrades.
From the rookie list I personally would like to see Houston and Lienert upgraded.

Houston is a no brainer, Lienert perhaps more debatable but Crippa also mentioned his name with possible upgrades. With Austin gone it makes more sense.

I like Snelling but I personally wouldn't upgrade.

Irra remains as a cat B.

Eddy, I would delist (his GF performance was unacceptable) but the club may decide to give him one more year.

Ladhams needs to remain on the rookie list. Has plenty of upside and could be upgraded if necessary.

Hewett probably gets delisted.

Houston - 100%
Lienert - probably next in line for an upgrade, but no need to rush it.
The rest - No

Houston yes, obviously. Lienert yes if we don’t pick up a mature age key defender, otherwise re-rookie. Ladhams and Irra re-rookie. Hewett delist. Eddy and Snelling are the ones I’m not sure whether to re-rookie or to delist.
Is the ruling that a rookie must be either upgraded or delisted after 2 years?

Houston - Yes.
Lienert - Wait until a KPD gets injured.
Irra - Re-rookie as a Cat B.
Snelling, Hewett, Eddy, Ladhams - No.
You see more magpies games than most. Interested in you take on Snelling as I like what I see in his game.

You see more magpies games than most. Interested in you take on Snelling as I like what I see in his game.
Snelling will have a big opportunity next season to get a lot of mid minutes in the SANFL since Young and Arch are gone.

If he performs then we might upgrade him. Personally I'd upgrade just Houston and leave a spot open for whoever steps up during the year.

Eddy, I would delist (his GF performance was unacceptable) but the club may decide to give him one more year.
Oh FFS. Yes lets delist the Ken Farmer medallist for ******* one goat in the GF. I am so tired of hearing this. Like a pack of zombies walking of a cliff every time his name is mentioned - 's**t GF - delist'. Let's face it a lot of the team ****ed farm animals that day.

It would be a real treat to have one (Marshall) possibly no (if we play three talls in the Power) KPF's in the Magpies (read also the Power reserves) who have already been decimated depth-wise in trade period to boot.

Lienert should be upgraded. He is good enough and has a weapon in his kick.

The club doesn't know if it is going to be a 38+6 or 39+5 or 40+4 list before any category B rookies. If we are dumb enough not get another ruckmen and we go with 40+4 then Ladhams has to get upgraded because you cant have only 2 rucks on the main list one who is injury prone and if they are both are injured at the same time, then only way Ladhams gets elevated before mid season is we have a long term injury. No need to risk that.If we are 38+6 or 39+5 we don't need to elevate him.

I would elevate Snelling based on his finals play but I don't think the club will do so. We should keep him.

Eddy I would keep but Hewett I'd cut. Irra gets a second year on cat B to see if he continues to improve like he did in the second half of the year.

Obviously decisions on White and Toumpas will drive how many rookie we cut and upgrade.

Can someone explain to me the logic in upgrading Lienert?

He isn't best 22, I'd argue not even 30. At this stage unless injury happens be isn't playing. So why just not upgrade him until/ if we need to.

If we are dumb enough not get another ruckmen and we go with 40+4 then Ladhams has to get upgraded because you cant have only 2 rucks on the main list one who is injury prone and if they are both are injured at the same time, then only way Ladhams gets elevated before mid season is we have a long term injury. No need to risk that.If we are 38+6 or 39+5 we don't need to elevate him.

We couldn't make the same mistake twice could we? :eek:

If this draft is as weak as some say we might as well only use our first three picks 46,49,59 and go for a delisted ruckman as insurance. Ryder, Frampton, a DFA and Ladhams gives us the same ruck numbers we had last year. I would sooner a ruckman who we might need than Lindsay Thomas who we probably don't need.

He isn't best 22, I'd argue not even 30. At this stage unless injury happens be isn't playing. So why just not upgrade him until/ if we need to.

Have you seen our KPD stocks? His form in the twos was very good this year. Outside of Clurey, Howard, Jonas and a questionably fit Hombsch, he's next in line. Only one of those guys needs to go down and he gets a look in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he was the best kick in the 2017 squad, better than Houston. Houston played or was given a go to stay on the list because of his kicking. He did bugger all as a forward but because of his kicking they said let's see how he goes down back and see if we can use his weapon.

Lienert is a smart footballer. He is a better defender than Houston. Hartlett's kicking has lost power and Broadbent bombs the ball rather does 50m passes pike Lienert. Whilst Lienert wouldn't be replacing these 2 he is more a replacement for Austin.

Lienert was elevated late in the season as insurance for the finals under the mid season rookie upgrade rule without having a player on the term injury list. The coaches must think he has some talent to do that.

Have you seen our KPD stocks? His form in the twos was very good this year. Outside of Clurey, Jonas and a questionably fit Hombsch, he's next in line.
You're forgetting Howard.
That's 5th in line.
Find me another club that has 5 KPDs on its main list

That's 5th in line.
I'd argue we have 2 true KPD's to play on the gorillas and many tall backs.Howard and Clurey are true KPD's. Jonas plays as a KPD because of our depth and is really too short. When he is playing as good Tommy he can make up the height and weight difference. When he is bad Tommy he cant. Hombsch does his best work as the 3rd tall back jumping into packs for the assist. Plus his hip injuries say to me he is suspect. Austin was there last season and because his surgeries and interrupted preseason he had a poor base but we did play him in 3 AFL games.

If you were to look closely at all teams list you would find a few clubs have 5 tall backs.

Because he was the best kick in the 2017 squad, better than Houston. Houston played or was given a go to stay on the list because of his kicking. He did bugger all as a forward but because of his kicking they said let's see how he goes down back and see if we can use his weapon.

Lienert is a smart footballer. He is a better defender than Houston. Hartlett's kicking has lost power and Broadbent bombs the ball rather does 50m passes pike Lienert. Whilst Lienert wouldn't be replacing these 2 he is more a replacement for Austin.

Lienert was elevated late in the season as insurance for the finals under the mid season rookie upgrade rule without having a player on the term injury list. The coaches must think he has some talent to do that.
He isn't replacing Houston. Houston himself also suggested the move down back late 2016. Broadbent and Hartlett also have 100+ games at AFL level and the experience that comes with that.

They upgraded Lienart when Hombsch was ruled out for the rest of the year.
Keep it at 38/39 senior list. Then you can play him from round 11 onwards or in case of an LTI. I understand the risk that you're suggesting, just don't think it is worth the upgrade. Even moreso now with Watts in the side we can use Westhoff with 2/3 other KPDs as the 7th defender.

I'd argue we have 2 true KPD's to play on the gorillas and many tall backs.Howard and Clurey are true KPD's. Jonas plays as a KPD because of our depth and is really too short. When he is playing as good Tommy he can make up the height and weight difference. When he is bad Tommy he cant. Hombsch does his best work as the 3rd tall back jumping into packs for the assist. Plus his hip injuries say to me he is suspect. Austin was there last season and because his surgeries and interrupted preseason he had a poor base but we did play him in 3 AFL games.

If you were to look closely at all teams list you would find a few clubs have 5 tall backs.
That's still under the presumption don't draft another 194cm+ defender.

The only club's I can think of that have 5 KPDs on its list have one of them as a genuine swingman.

He isn't replacing Houston. Houston himself also suggested the move down back late 2016. Broadbent and Hartlett also have 100+ games at AFL level and the experience that comes with that.

They upgraded Lienart when Hombsch was ruled out for the rest of the year.
Keep it at 38/39 senior list. Then you can play him from round 11 onwards or in case of an LTI. I understand the risk that you're suggesting, just don't think it is worth the upgrade. Even moreso now with Watts in the side we can use Westhoff with 2/3 other KPDs as the 7th defender.
* I wrote - "he is more a replacement for Austin." I was benchmarking him against Houston and why he got an upgrade not benchmarking him against Houston's position. You asked why I thought we should up grade him. This time last year nobody thought Houston should be upgraded.

And he is cover for Hombsch. I'm not convinced he will come back any better after his hip injuries. Hip injuries are the new career killers IMO.

What's the risk? We miss out on a KPD that might be available at 62 or 63?. Apart from Westhoff who was 20 at the time which player have we drafted with a pick after 60 has played 80 games or more. Dont say Poulton he was re drafted.

That's still under the presumption don't draft another 194cm+ defender.

The only club's I can think of that have 5 KPDs on its list have one of them as a genuine swingman.
What do you call Howard?

That's 5th in line.

I did forget Howard - edited my post.

Austin was on the main list this year so upgrading Lienert puts us in the same position.
Hombsch still has some question marks around his body so I wouldn't rely on a LTI as being the only reason for an upgrade to occur. We also need Jonas to stop wacking blokes.

Not really concerned what other clubs have or don't have - I'm sure if they could have quality depth all over the park then they would.

**** I wrote - "he is more a replacement for Austin." I was benchmarking him against Houston and why he got an upgrade not benchmarking him against Houston's position. You asked why I thought we should up grade him. This time last year nobody thought Houston should be upgraded.

And he is cover for Hombsch. I'm not convinced he will come back any better after his hip injuries. Hip injuries are the new career killers IMO.

What's the risk? We miss out on a KPD that might be available at 62 or 63?. Apart from Westhoff who was 20 at the time which player have we drafted with a pick after 60 has played 80 games or more. Dont say Poulton he was re drafted.
Rodan (redrafted but 111 games since) Giles (not at all port)

Im more saying though we get a KPD with our first pick at 46.

Back