List Mgmt. Which Rookie do we upgrade (nominated)

Who would you pick?

• Cox

Votes: 49 73.1%
  • Thomas

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • McCarthy

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Schade

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Mackie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lynch

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We have until a week prior to first bounce 2017 to upgrade a nominated rookie.
Current list: 39 senior, 5 Rookie Cat A, 1 Rookie Cat B
Normally we judge the preseason performances to gauge.
Although, sometimes immediate list needs may influence (back up Ruck?).

Cat A: Thomas, McCarthy, Schade, Mackie, Lynch
Cat B: Cox

Under normal circumstances most would think Cox gets the nod (list needs), however I believe that the nominated rookie must come from Cat A rookie list (to maintain our total list numbers at 44 prior to season commencement).
So we move from 39 + 5 to 40 + 4
Cox may have to wait for either LTI or mid season auto upgrade for 1 spot.

The field probably narrows down to Thomas or Schade (due AFL experience).
Unless McCarthy or Lynch have immediate impact with good pre season form.
For Mackie, just don't see the need for a March upgrade (we are well & truly covered with medium backs).

Would do a poll, but don't know how.

We have until a week prior to first bounce 2017 to upgrade a nominated rookie.
Current list: 39 senior, 5 Rookie Cat A, 1 Rookie Cat B
Normally we judge the preseason performances to gauge.
Although, sometimes immediate list needs may influence (back up Ruck?).

Cat A: Thomas, McCarthy, Schade, Mackie, Lynch
Cat B: Cox

Under normal circumstances most would think Cox gets the nod (list needs), however I believe that the nominated rookie must come from Cat A rookie list (to maintain our total list numbers at 44 prior to season commencement).
So we move from 39 + 5 to 40 + 4
Cox may have to wait for either LTI or mid season auto upgrade for 1 spot.

The field probably narrows down to Thomas or Schade (due AFL experience).
Unless McCarthy or Lynch have immediate impact with good pre season form.
For Mackie, just don't see the need for a March upgrade (we are well & truly covered with medium backs).

Would do a poll, but don't know how.

No Frost to choose from this year!

Did Smith get out on our main list? I missed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, he was upgraded along with Keeffe last month.

Thanks MML.

In which case, I'm not sure a strong case can be made for anyone. I think Cox also adds salary cap issues doesn't he? Correct me if I'm wrong, but his salary is currently outside the cap but some/all of it counts in our cap if he's the nominated rookie.

Thanks MML.

In which case, I'm not sure a strong case can be made for anyone. I think Cox also adds salary cap issues doesn't he? Correct me if I'm wrong, but his salary is currently outside the cap but some/all of it counts in our cap if he's the nominated rookie.

Yes you are correct. I'm not even sure if a Cat B rookie can be upgraded via nominated rookie rules (as he is outside the max list of 44).
Clubs can commence the season with:
38 + 6
39 + 5
40 + 4

So if Cox was upgraded, our list would be 40 + 5 (which I believe is not allowed under AFL list guidelines)

The rules don't state the nominated player can't be a category b rookie, so this shouldn't even be a question. Cox any day of the week.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL Rules - 2015.pdf
nominated rookie (page 64) said:
10.16 Nominated Rookies
(a) Eligible Club​

A Club, if it has:​

(i) 39 Players on its Primary List, is eligible to nominate one (1) Rookie Player; or
(ii) 38 Players on its Primary List, is eligible to nominate two (2) Rookie Players,​

under this Rule and it otherwise satisfies the requirements of this Rule at any time after the conclusion of the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting and before 2.00pm on the Tuesday after the Pre-Season Grand Final by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 36. Player contracts are also to be lodged with the AFL on or before this date.​

rookie list (page 57) said:
10. Rookie List Players

10.1 Rookie List – Establishment and Number
(a) Each Club must maintain a Rookie List up to a maximum number of Category A Rookie Players and Category B Rookie Players as detailed in Appendix 1.
(b) In addition to maintaining the maximum number of allowable Category A Rookie Players on their Rookie List under Rule 10.1, each Club may include a maximum of three (3) extra Players on its Rookie List​

I think it'll come down to either Cox or Schade. All rookie list players will get ample opportunity to make the case for promotion but I think these 2 guys have the senior exposure, both go into the preseason with a relatively clean bill of health, and both add depth in area's we're thin on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no question to be asked here. Cox has to be the one. We have only 1 ruckman on the main list. If Grundy had a 4 week injury for instance and Cox was stranded on the rookie list we would be in all sorts

There is no question to be asked here. Cox has to be the one. We have only 1 ruckman on the main list. If Grundy had a 4 week injury for instance and Cox was stranded on the rookie list we would be in all sorts

They could Ruck White and Moore and IF they Upgraded McCarthy he could Ruck. Lynch could get Upgraded(Very Doubtful) and he can Ruck

They could Ruck White and Moore and IF they Upgraded McCarthy he could Ruck. Lynch could get Upgraded(Very Doubtful) and he can Ruck
All those are terrible options though. White can do a few minutes relief each Q, hopefully against the oppositions 2nd ruck but that's a long way from being the no 1 ruck going all day. Moore and White sharing rucking duties is even worse. With no Cox it means Mayne then becomes our no 1 KPF. The idea of putting rookie kids like McCArthy or Lynch in as no 1 ruck in the AFL side shouldn't even be discussed. Just wouldnt happen

Cox has to be upgraded.

All those are terrible options though. White can do a few minutes relief each Q, hopefully against the oppositions 2nd ruck but that's a long way from being the no 1 ruck going all day. Moore and White sharing rucking duties is even worse. With no Cox it means Mayne then becomes our no 1 KPF. The idea of putting rookie kids like McCArthy or Lynch in as no 1 ruck in the AFL side shouldn't even be discussed. Just wouldnt happen

Cox has to be upgraded.

No One HAS to be Upgraded.

Cox is Clear Favourites but I what Happens IF he get's Upgraded and Get's Injured before start of the Season?

I say wait to the last possible time to make that Announcement.

Back