List Mgmt. Which Rookie do we upgrade (nominated)

Who would you pick?

• Cox

Votes: 49 73.1%
  • Thomas

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • McCarthy

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Schade

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Mackie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lynch

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No One HAS to be Upgraded.

Cox is Clear Favourites but I what Happens IF he get's Upgraded and Get's Injured before start of the Season?

I say wait to the last possible time to make that Announcement.
Is that correct?

I had assumed with the pre season upgrade of a rookie it was something that had to be done to bring all clubs into line with 40 on the primary list to start the season. It would seem an unfair advantage if you were able to leave the rookie upgrade to when it suited the club.

All those are terrible options though. White can do a few minutes relief each Q, hopefully against the oppositions 2nd ruck but that's a long way from being the no 1 ruck going all day. Moore and White sharing rucking duties is even worse. With no Cox it means Mayne then becomes our no 1 KPF. The idea of putting rookie kids like McCArthy or Lynch in as no 1 ruck in the AFL side shouldn't even be discussed. Just wouldnt happen

Cox has to be upgraded.

I agree with your POV, but I would prefer White as first ruck for a relief period of say a month over Cox. The issue would then be that you'd need cover in case White also went down for say a month.

All told it has to be Cox, but I would wait until the deadline in March to see how the pre-season played out before its made official.

I agree with your POV, but I would prefer White as first ruck for a relief period of say a month over Cox. The issue would then be that you'd need cover in case White also went down for say a month.

All told it has to be Cox, but I would wait until the deadline in March to see how the pre-season played out before its made official.
Absolutely you do not make thi call til the last moment.

Still 1 month of White as 1st ruck would be a potential disaster for mine. Any of Mumford, Gawn, Sandilands, Jacobs , Goldstein etc would just dine out on him for the day. Would also need Moore doing a lot of ruck relief as White couldnt go all day against those days which then throws our forwardline into disarray. Cox would at least provide some centre square contest

Isn't is more to do with maximum list size (Primary & Rookie) i.e 44 players?
If we upgrade Cox we have 45 ??
Page 201 of that link talks about a maximum combined list size of 47 (senior, cat a, cat b). Really nominating a category b rookie is no different to upgrading a category b rookie in case of a long term injury and there's no advantage as you don't end up having more than 40 players on your senior list.

Is that correct?

I had assumed with the pre season upgrade of a rookie it was something that had to be done to bring all clubs into line with 40 on the primary list to start the season. It would seem an unfair advantage if you were able to leave the rookie upgrade to when it suited the club.
The nomination needs to occur "at any time after the conclusion of the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting and before 2.00pm on the Tuesday after the Pre-Season Grand Final by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 36"

All clubs can also nominate a rookie midseason, which needs to occur "at any time after the conclusion of Round 11 before 2.00pm on the Tuesday after the last round of Home and Away Matches"

The only other restriction on this is the player's wage needs to fit within the cap, although discounts occur (50% discount for a preseason nomination, anything in excess of 1st year third round draftee base payment for the midseason nomination).

Still 1 month of White as 1st ruck would be a potential disaster for mine. Any of Mumford, Gawn, Sandilands, Jacobs , Goldstein etc would just dine out on him for the day. Would also need Moore doing a lot of ruck relief as White couldnt go all day against those days which then throws our forwardline into disarray. Cox would at least provide some centre square contest

True, but I think disarray is a given if Grundy goes down.

White for mine makes the best of a bad situation moreso than Cox who is as useful to us in the first ruck role as Blair. Unfortunately he's ineffective on the spread and gets jumped over too easily by quality ruckmen whereas White at least brings a modicum of nuance to the role compared to Cox's ability to be super tall...

With White as the first ruck I'd then use Goldsack as the relief ruck as opposed to Moore. Unfortunately no matter which way you cut it we're ****ed if Grundy goes down!

True, but I think disarray is a given if Grundy goes down.

White for mine makes the best of a bad situation moreso than Cox who is as useful to us in the first ruck role as Blair. Unfortunately he's ineffective on the spread and gets jumped over too easily by quality ruckmen whereas White at least brings a modicum of nuance to the role compared to Cox's ability to be super tall...

With White as the first ruck I'd then use Goldsack as the relief ruck as opposed to Moore. Unfortunately no matter which way you cut it we're stuffed if Grundy goes down!
Clearly we cant lose Grundy. Still I would still rather Cox than White. Don't think his centre square work is as bad as you see it. I still have a memory of him putting a knee into Goldys throat at the centre square in Wagga early 2016. Goldy looked very confused at the time. Other rucks would have to at least consider options against Cox whereas with White it would be just do as you want.

Don't think you actually have to nominate but if it doesn't get done by just after the NAB GF then it's opportunity lost and you then need to wait for the mid-season upgrade or a LTI.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that correct?

Well I thought the Announcement of the Nominated Rookie is Made just before the Regular Season Starts

Well I thought the Announcement of the Nominated Rookie is Made just before the Regular Season Starts
Yes, sorry I thought you were saying w didnt need to upgrade anyone at the start of the season.

Yes, sorry I thought you were saying w didnt need to upgrade anyone at the start of the season.

You got wrong end of the Stick Gone Critical. There be a Nominated Rookie but just How. Club said that Cox has it but Things can Change like Injury(Hope Not) that can Change it

Presuming that Cox isn't actually allowed to be the nominated rookie, I would think Schade will be well out in front, with Thomas a chance with a strong pre-season.

Schade will be given every chance to become a starting key defender. There's no reason he won't be given the same opportunity to win a starting spot in the backline that Dunn and Keeffe will get.

Presuming that Cox isn't actually allowed to be the nominated rookie, I would think Schade will be well out in front, with Thomas a chance with a strong pre-season.

Schade will be given every chance to become a starting key defender. There's no reason he won't be given the same opportunity to win a starting spot in the backline that Dunn and Keeffe will get.

I say Dunn and Keeffe are seen ahead of him as they are on Senior List and Schade is on Rookie List

There is no question to be asked here. Cox has to be the one. We have only 1 ruckman on the main list. If Grundy had a 4 week injury for instance and Cox was stranded on the rookie list we would be in all sorts

We had 2 ruckman on the list this year but only one ever got a game - Grundy & White will ruck all year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given at this point we are lighter on in KPFs and Rucks than any other position you would think it's Cox that will be our nominated rookie.

If that's your only criteria, then if Schade gets nominated, they'll all be on even footing.

Unless Cox get's Injured or goes Backwards he most likely not get Nominated

Back