Opinion Which Ruckman should play this week against Carlton

Which Ruckman should play this week against Carlton

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Drop smith, leave Rhys in the Twos and play blitz in the ruck with sav a helping hand. Kruizer is going to have a field day against our marshmallow, weak at the knees, feeble rucks so leave them out and try something different, something maybe less extreme than Danger in the ruck but something that doesn’t include our 2 chosen ruckman who are seemingly having a bitch fight about who want to play in the reserves more.
Yep, concede the ruck effectively and have someone in there who's willing to tackle and make second efforts.

Smith should be the #1 ruck.
Sav plays CHF and chops him out.

When Sav needs a spell like last week, Stanley comes in and plays Sav's role - CHF with a ruck chop out.

then Sav comes back and Stanley goes out.

Go Catters

If we try to be safe, play Smith. Otherwise play Abbott or someone else. No Stanley please. He’s not a ruckman. He’s back up to Sav’s position, CHF and pinch hit in the ruck.

Neither Smith nor Stanley are ever going to give us more than they already have. Time to explore new options. The entire game starts from the centre bounce and right now, our centre bounces are a turd sandwich.

Would like to see Abbott (but I suspect we won’t). Must say would be a little worried about him against Kruezer but in any case, when would be a good time (?) - all the opposition rucks are better than all ours anyway.

From the limited viewing of him Abbott appears to be almost a second ruck type - not big enough to dominate the taps but with some agility and marking ability. To make him first ruck (with Smith and Stanley available) the MC would be deciding to concede taps (possibly in a big way) in exchange for better pressure and second efforts at contests and linking. Might be a worthwhile trade off.
Leave Smith in and give him a few runs, backup with Abbott so we can have a look at him. Blitz pinch hit.

Neither Smith nor Stanley are ever going to give us more than they already have. Time to explore new options. The entire game starts from the centre bounce and right now, our centre bounces are a turd sandwich.
Except that they have both shown more in previous seasons, so I don't necessarily think this current form is their limit. They both had interrupted preseasons, Smith moreso, and that is showing.
I still think our MF is below par. Danger is way below his best and reminds me of my ailing dog, Selwood and Danger are both feeling the effects of carrying this team on their backs and shoulders the past 2 seasons, Hamstrung GAJ is finding it tough, Duncan looks as if he's always under pressure, and we sorely miss SS and Parfitt. Menegola is unreliable as a pressure mid, GHS is limited. Is it a catch 22- poor rucks hence poor delivery to mids, or are our mids just not competing optimally?

Except that they have both shown more in previous seasons, so I don't necessarily think this current form is their limit. They both had interrupted preseasons, Smith moreso, and that is showing.
I still think our MF is below par. Danger is way below his best and reminds me of my ailing dog, Selwood and Danger are both feeling the effects of carrying this team on their backs and shoulders the past 2 seasons, Hamstrung GAJ is finding it tough, Duncan looks as if he's always under pressure, and we sorely miss SS and Parfitt. Menegola is unreliable as a pressure mid, GHS is limited. Is it a catch 22- poor rucks hence poor delivery to mids, or are our mids just not competing optimally?

Yeah this. I've been making the point all year that the mids are at least as culpable as the rucks for our s**t house clearance numbers, but it's the ruckmen that get scapegoated because it's easier and they're already maligned players anyway (as opposed to our super duper, greatest of all time mids).

The Sydney game is a good example. Stanley copped a whole lot of s**t (with good reason, mind you) for getting smashed by Sinclair in the last quarter. But Kennedy was even more damaging than Sinclair in the last quarter - who was on him? If the ruckman is getting beaten in the hitouts - which happens to pretty much all ruckmen for periods of a match - it's up to the mids to clamp down and prevent the hitout dominance from translating into easy clearances. They didn't do that, and haven't all year. They need to learn to be more defensive when the situation demands it, especially given our weakness in the ruck.

We just don't make any logical decisions with handling our ruckman.

What we know
Rhys Stanley is a terrible Ruckman
Chris Scott doesn't see much of a difference between Smith and Stanley
There's a reluctance to play Stanley and Smith together.
We don't seem to have any intention of playing Stanley as a key forward at AFL level
Stanley, at some stage, is going to be picked as our number 1 ruckman again.

With this information clear to everybody (including the players involved) shouldn't we play Stanley in the ruck in the VFL, to at least give him a chance to improve his craft? The fact Abbott hasn't played yet suggests we don't rate him, so why are continuing with him?

I don't think there's a poster on this site who rates Stanley less than I do, but we're definitely setting him up to fail.

I understand we don't like hearing this right now.

But I actually believe this could well be the future in the longer term to answer the question of our miserable ruck stocks.

I think he brings the body size, the athleticism, the skills (even the pace!) and the competitiveness that could make for a really dynamic ruckman down the track.

I do agree that he shouldn't be burnt in that role at this stage, though.

Cameos there with a key role up forward appear to be the best solution for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was baffling to see the absolute meltdowns on here earlier in the year when Stanley was picked ahead of Smith. Stanley might not be great, but neither is Smith. People were acting like we were picking John Meesen ahead of Max Gawn. The fact is, they're both sh*t options and it doesn't seem like Abbott is much better.

The best option is just to pick one and stick to it so that the midfielders can become accustomed as to what to expect. Whether that's Stanley, Smith or Abbott doesn't matter.

Give Abbott a go. Can't be any worse than the other two, so it's worth a free hit if we're going to lose the battle anyway. Cleaned up Leuenberger last week, and he's not a horrible ruck. Reckon he's worth a look to see what he's got

Most promising natural CHF we have seen at the club for some time, even considering his brief history in the game. No problem with him covering F50 ruck, but let's not destroy another talent by trying to cover deficiencies in other areas.
I doubt CS would manage him one week, then subject him to F/T ruck work the next week.

Back