• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johanpetro

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2008
Apollo Bay
AFL Club
Geelong
Give Abbott a go. Can't be any worse than the other two, so it's worth a free hit if we're going to lose the battle anyway. Cleaned up Leuenberger last week, and he's not a horrible ruck. Reckon he's worth a look to see what he's got

Am I wrong but didn’t Leuenberger have 51 hit outs against Abbott?

Last edited:

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Am I wrong but didn’t Leuenberger have 51 hit outs against Abbott?

Ah crap you might be right. I only saw how he played during the game, and he looked better around the ground and such. Didn't realize it was such a massive disparity in hit outs though. Maybe not ready just yet..

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Is rucking that much more taxing on the body than playing centre half forward these days? I haven't really thought this through - just a bit of a thought bubble, but I'm interested in others people's thoughts.

With the introduction of the centre circle and the no third man up rule, you're far less likely to cop the knees to the body that you used to - a lot of the contests around the ground are basically glorified basketball tipoffs. Plus drop in cricket pitches means the centre isn't either sticky black tar or rock hard, making it a lot easier to run/jump on.

Also, forwards are now required to run much more than they were in the past - not sure that a centre half forward would run much/any less than a ruckman these days either (are these stats anywhere?).

Anyway, keen to hear opinions on that.

darrenmorgan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I think we just have to give Smith a bit of a run. Another 3-4 weeks and let him try to get some continuity and confidence. If he’s still crap then, time to come up with a plan b.

hokee

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Smith is finished at Geelong. Stanley didn’t play ruck in vfl last week but came straight back in as 1st choice ruck. Abbott is also named as emergency as well.

I still remember he was unstoppable in his first game against hawthorn, marking everything in the forward line and kicked 3 goals.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong

This will be his highlight reel. Bit of a shame - seems like a good bloke but doesn't have the mental side required to be an AFL ruckman. Things like effort and a desire to win/succeed can not be taught.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Did anyone else notice in Scottys press conference he had a slip of the tongue? Said that things were understandably frustrating for Smith and Stanley when they can't necessarily be guaranteed a place on the list, then corrected himself to say in the team.

Seems like a fun thing to read too much into.

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Did anyone else notice in Scottys press conference he had a slip of the tongue? Said that things were understandably frustrating for Smith and Stanley when they can't necessarily be guaranteed a place on the list, then corrected himself to say in the team.

Seems like a fun thing to read too much into.
I reckon that's a strong sign someone's being moved on. Looks like it'll be Smith at this stage :(

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon that's a strong sign someone's being moved on. Looks like it'll be Smith at this stage :(
I think the club want to move both of them on, if the right opportunity presents itself. Depends on whether or not a suitable replacement can be procured.

Gee Class Loco

Premium Platinum
Oct 14, 2012
Sleepy Hollow
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Ham DEN Broncos BOS Celtics
Looks like a play for Scott Lycett is on the cards... Free Agent at years end.
Start at $500k and go up from there... It's gonna cost a few bob IMO.
In saying that. I am of the opinion the BIG SAV RAT will be our Ruckman going forward in 3 years time.
So the dead wood to make room would be in no particular order.

George Horlin Smith give away...
Zac Smith ditto...
Jackson Thurlow trade...
Cam Guthrie trade...
James Parsons trade...

and I hate to say it.
The elephant in the room is...
Tim Kelly. He might be 'a go home factor' that we might have to sell HIGH... a valuable asset to gain a valuable asset.

Plenty to ponder for List management.

Cheers Boys & lets smash the BlueBaggers those salary cheating BASTARDS!!!

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't get some people's absolute defense of Zac Smith, wanting him in week after week, rather than Stanley.

Smith comes in for two weeks, and doesn't do anything to consolidate his spot.

It is almost like because Smith hasn't been selected, some here have demanded it, rather than ever admit that the selection panel have it right.

The fact is, Stanley can play ruck and KPF, Estava can play ruck and KPF, whereas I haven't seen Smith play much time in a KP post. So, for versatility, Stanley gets played ahead of Smith, and then we can swing him, Estava, and even Blicavs between key position posts and the ruck.

There are some here who are such fanboys of Zach Smith, that if Stanley had a AA season, kicked four every week, and won the rick contests, they would still want Smith in rather than him, because of the reputation Stanley seems to have unfairly got, and these fanboys would never admit give Stanley credit.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
What's wrong is that it robs from a midfield which is already getting spanked, and neither of Smith or Stanley is good enough in a second role to warrant it.

Ottens/Blake worked ok because:
  • Ottens was a good enough key forward option
  • The game was such that it was ok for one player (Blake) to only play 50% to 60% game time
Playing two ordinary ruckmen isn't really the best solution for the problems you get when playing just one, IMO.

Also, despite criticism of him (much of it warranted) Mark Blake was actually very good at tapping to our midfield, and us winning clearances, whereas we are losing clearances this year, despite a midfield of Dangerfield, J Selwood, Ablett, Kelly and Duncan, because neither Stanley nor Smith are tapping it to advantage.

Back