Which season was our worst?

Which was our worst season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only time since that terrible day, that I've watched any highlights of the game, was when they have those "specials" on the 05 & 06 GF. So I watch the 05 highlights, knowing that in a few minutes, I'll be able to enjoy the glory & revenge of 06.
If I was a Sydney fan I'd still be pretty dirty that we lost the 06 GF. Would way rather win the last one because it's like West Coast had the last laugh until we meet again in a GF.
I chose 2013, mainly because of the expectation I had, then it started, we got beaten by Freo and then pumped by the Hawks, beat Melbourne in typical flat track style, then it all turned to s**t. That loss in round 5 I think it was against Port was one of the most frustrating games I've seen in a long time. You could see it happening, and we were helpless against their run on. From then on it was just more shitty performances and players looking lazy and not interested at all. Top if off with Freo making the GF, and all of WA losing their s**t and going purple, it was just a horrible season.
At least the footy gods gave us the Scott match/week and Freo's choke. I don't think I would've lasted the off season if it wasn't for those two events.

2001 at least we had guys like Kerr etc we could see coming through - I won't mention the horrific guernsey.
2010 for me. Horrible year with not a lot to look forward to. Only highlight was Frenchy's 12 at Telstra Dome.

Thats a pretty big highlight as well as AA for Frenchy, but also was NN's first full year as it was JK's. We finally got to see a bit of Shuey, at the time I liked the way that Stevens, Sheppard & SSelwood finished that year. Probably not getting pick one for finishing last helps make that a bad one but considering we nailed that draft not bad all considering. Although finishing last I thought our team was young and improvement was there.

Thats a pretty big highlight as well as AA for Frenchy, but also was NN's first full year as it was JK's. We finally got to see a bit of Shuey, at the time I liked the way that Stevens, Sheppard & SSelwood finished that year. Probably not getting pick one for finishing last helps make that a bad one but considering we nailed that draft not bad all considering. Although finishing last I thought our team was young and improvement was there.

We also pumped games into Schofield (20), Brown (13) , Emac (18), Scooter ( 20). It was disappointing to finish last but you could tell it was all about a rebuild as we also delisted a fair few who were not going to be there.

For me 2008 hurt the most after a decent 2007 considering what had happened that year.

The last two years have been the most disappointing.

Im just glad we only seem to be truly rubbish (as in bottom 2) for one season at a time before a climb.

2001 I'll never forget. Got us judd. We beat freo and stk twice. Snagged a win v melb at home. Got flogged the remaining 17 games. Any other year, we would of won the wooden spoon but freo and stk were God awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasons 2007-14 has been the worst era in our clubs history.

-Compromised our proud playing culture
-Got gutted by the AFL and media,
-Wasted a golden opportunity to go back to back in 2007, midfield capitulates with Cousins hammie
-Gave up in 2008 - midfield destroyed
-shocking draft in 2009, followed by a nothing season - midfield fail
-clubs first wooden spoon in 2010 - midfield destroyed worst in league
-cheated out of pick#1 in 2010 - best midfield prospect in draft goes to the Suns
-last hurrah by our superstars in 2011/12, midfield unable to compete in finals
-Deplorable in seasons 2013/14, inexplicably missed finals positions, wasted the backend of several superstar careers. Midfield remains worst in league
-Havent developed a single top 10 AFL midfielder in over decade

-Wasted a golden opportunity to go back to back in 2007, midfield capitulates with Cousins hammie
-cheated out of pick#1 in 2010 - best midfield prospect in draft goes to the Suns
-Deplorable in seasons 2013/14, inexplicably missed finals positions, wasted the backend of several superstar careers. Midfield remains worst in league

I don't think there was anything inexplicable about our performance last year?

We have had 3 brownlow medal winning midfielders in the last decade, so I think that's a bit harsh!

We have not had a gun midfielder arrive at our club since Judd was drafted in 2001 and thats an indictment. Love Priddis but he's no superstar.

I don't think there was anything inexplicable about our performance last year?

Lost half a dozen winnable games and had horrific capitulations in several others. Missed out on finals by one game, despite having the best big man talent in the game, steady backline and a gun forward line.

It seems as though when we do fully crap out, we seem to at least do a good job of nailing the draft.

2001: Judd
2008: Naitanui, Shuey
2010: Gaff, Darling, Lycett

2008 gets my vote as that was the year we were truly uncompetitive in games and copped some of the worst thrashings in our history. Losing 47-182 to the Cats at home the year after coming third is probably our second darkest day IMO.

The side we had for the latter half of 2008 would be rammed even by our 2001 and 2010 sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd definitely have to vote for 2001, think UpForGrabs puts it more eloquently than me with his summary
http://nestingeagle.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/a-rank-for-all-seasons-28/

Yeah I just saw that and commented in the thread but '08 had:

The same non cometitve smashings including the 135 at Subi. Also a 77 point smashing by Richmond at Subi. We just lost Judd & Cousins. Kerr didnt have the year everyone hoped. Masten wasn't Judd (and the crowds response to his performances were so far removed from reality). JK couldn't get on the park and we picked Notte. We lost both Derbies.

2008, and by a long, long way too. At least we battled through games in 2010 (the last 4 rounds come to mind). In 2008 we gave up after 1/4 time every game.

pretty much sums it up. the club is currently verging on basket case, which sickens me to admit.

pretty much sums it up. the club is currently verging on basket case, which sickens me to admit.
The club is not a basket case. That honour would go to Melbourne.
I believe we are on the up and we have only just missed the finals this year even with our poor midfield.
Good forwards, good defenders and most young enough to be there when our new look midfield will be owning in 2 years. I'm excited by the prospect of lycett and nn in tandem with the likes of duggan, lamb, shuey, waterman and co.
Plenty of positives...finally.

2008, and by a long, long way too. At least we battled through games in 2010 (the last 4 rounds come to mind). In 2008 we gave up after 1/4 time every game.

I was lucky to be travelling for most of the 2008 season. I remember I knew when every game was on, would rush to the nearest internet cafe, wiat for hours for the bloody AFL site to load, only to see we had lost, again. The only joy I had was the game we thrashed the crows, we were in Amsterdam, so celebrating that rare win was easy!!

We've had worse years but this is the most disappointing one for me. The realisation that we are on a journey to 4th. At least in other years there was some sort of understanding that we were on the journey to bottom out, or on the journey to go all the way. Not the last 2 years. We don't seem to be able to make the hard calls that give us a shot at a flag. Got to be in it to win it and sadly we aren't.

2010 wasn't even that bad. One of those "ah * it play the kids" seasons where you could just switch off and watch all the younger players develop.

Mitch Brown diving in the final game of the year after some body contact from Johnno Brown was hard to swallow. Won us the spoon but it still got us Darls.

I voted 2013 based on glimmers of hope and expectations, but thinking on it, 2008 was worse.

Obviously not our worst season, but the one I look back on with the most angst is 2007. With Chris Judd and Daniel Kerr in the prime of their careers, and Ben Cousins still performing at his brilliant best, we may have assembled the greatest midfield our club will ever know, without getting to see it run to full capacity as i think it was ready to in 07. With the great seasons of cox and glass, and solid seasons from many of the clubs 06 premiership players, as well as the continued development of Lecras, Hurn, Rosa and Priddis, we had all the makings of a team geared to go back to back, or at least put on a grand final for the ages against an equally powerful geelong side.

The other thing to remember is that if we met geelong in the grandfinal, we had all the experience of the 2 previous years, whereas most of the geelong team would have been on the biggest stage of all for the first time. At the very least, i can confidently say judd's injury cost us what would have bee our 3rd brownlow medal, and quite possibly our 4th premiership :(

Obviously not our worst season, but the one I look back on with the most angst is 2007. With Chris Judd and Daniel Kerr in the prime of their careers, and Ben Cousins still performing at his brilliant best, we may have assembled the greatest midfield our club will ever know, without getting to see it run to full capacity as i think it was ready to in 07. With the great seasons of cox and glass, and solid seasons from many of the clubs 06 premiership players, as well as the continued development of Lecras, Hurn, Rosa and Priddis, we had all the makings of a team geared to go back to back, or at least put on a grand final for the ages against an equally powerful geelong side.

The other thing to remember is that if we met geelong in the grandfinal, we had all the experience of the 2 previous years, whereas most of the geelong team would have been on the biggest stage of all for the first time. At the very least, i can confidently say judd's injury cost us what would have bee our 3rd brownlow medal, and quite possibly our 4th premiership :(

I still maintain that even with a fully fit side, we wouldn't have got within 10 goals of Geelong in the 2007 GF.

We'd won games, but our play was nowhere near as good as it was in 2006. We over-possessed the ball (setting a then record in our game vs Carlton where we had 469 possessions), and I don't think our top players were as good as they were in 2006.

Getting Cousins back helped us, but we lost games that we should never have lost (home game losses to St Kilda and Brisbane), and you don't win the premiership against a rampaging Geelong team if you're not on the top of your game.

That we did so well (relatively) in our finals was the biggest miracle of all. I still shake my head thinking how a midfield of Stenglein, Adam Selwood, Matt Priddis and Jamie McNamara managed to take Collingwood to extra time.

I still maintain that even with a fully fit side, we wouldn't have got within 10 goals of Geelong in the 2007 GF.

We'd won games, but our play was nowhere near as good as it was in 2006. We over-possessed the ball (setting a then record in our game vs Carlton where we had 469 possessions), and I don't think our top players were as good as they were in 2006.

Getting Cousins back helped us, but we lost games that we should never have lost (home game losses to St Kilda and Brisbane), and you don't win the premiership against a rampaging Geelong team if you're not on the top of your game.

That we did so well (relatively) in our finals was the biggest miracle of all. I still shake my head thinking how a midfield of Stenglein, Adam Selwood, Matt Priddis and Jamie McNamara managed to take Collingwood to extra time.

We still should have won that extra time game. We did unbelievably well considering we didn't have a single one of our midfield hero's playing. Judd was dead, Cuz tore his hammy the week before, and Kerr was out because of a finger from memory?

Only lost because Worsfold decided to randomly chuck Glass on the bench and Rocca (who Glass had considerably pantsed all game) kicked like 3 quick goals.

^ That was unbelievably frustrating. Nekminnit, the ferals win.

I'm not sure, the start of that season was the best I ever saw judd play in an eagles jumper I recon. There was just an aura of invincibility about him, and he just dominated ever game. I think kerr too had what was pretty close to his best season, and i'm sure it would have been even better if judd and cousins hadn't have been injured/banished for most of the season. Good seasons from those 3 would have had a massive flow on effect through the rest of the team I think, as it did the year prior. As I said in my previous post, I'm not certain it would have been enough to beat geelong, but i think we would have been very close if it wasn't.

We still should have won that extra time game. We did unbelievably well considering we didn't have a single one of our midfield hero's playing. Judd was dead, Cuz tore his hammy the week before, and Kerr was out because of a finger from memory?

Only lost because Worsfold decided to randomly chuck Glass on the bench and Rocca (who Glass had considerably pantsed all game) kicked like 3 quick goals.

^ That was unbelievably frustrating. Nekminnit, the ferals win.

Always remember the chest mark wirra dropped late in the game too. Hurt like hell.

Back