Which season was our worst?

Which was our worst season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I still maintain that even with a fully fit side, we wouldn't have got within 10 goals of Geelong in the 2007 GF.

We'd won games, but our play was nowhere near as good as it was in 2006. We over-possessed the ball (setting a then record in our game vs Carlton where we had 469 possessions), and I don't think our top players were as good as they were in 2006.

Getting Cousins back helped us, but we lost games that we should never have lost (home game losses to St Kilda and Brisbane), and you don't win the premiership against a rampaging Geelong team if you're not on the top of your game.

That we did so well (relatively) in our finals was the biggest miracle of all. I still shake my head thinking how a midfield of Stenglein, Adam Selwood, Matt Priddis and Jamie McNamara managed to take Collingwood to extra time.

All in all, our season was destroyed in one quarter single handedly by Scott Lucas.

I'd say our season was destroyed by Ben Cousins getting repeatedly loaded and turning up for training late (and loaded).

Watch him in the 2007 game towards the end of the season against the saints. * he was unbelievable.

Talk about carrying a team over the line. Every time we needed him he popped up and steadied the ship with some brilliance. You can't teach that.

2008 was the worst for me, that feeling of going from a premiership contender down to a team thats incapable of winning at home still hurts when i think about it.

It has to be 2008. From semi finalists to 4-18 was the worst decline of any club. The low point was our 138 point thrashing to Geelong and our heavy losses to Bulldogs and Richmond.

The last year of Woosha, don't know what year it was.

Could see his passion had gone, no answers, we all knew the time had come to part ways, just going through the motions for the year.
From memory we were having a respectable year and things just fell off a cliff. Several massive drubbings, and everyone knew the time had come.

i think 2001 we lost 15 games by an average of over 50 points we were putrid,
there is a reason no-one mentions the Ochre years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2008 Season Losses

R2 v Adelaide Crows (AAMI) = 57 v 133
R4 v Sydney Swans (ANZ) = 45 v 107 "Barry Hall you f**k
R6 v Western Bulldogs (Marvel) = 74 v 134
R10 v Collingwood (MCG) = 73 v 173
R13 v Geelong Cats (Subi) = 47 v 182 "sandwich eating f**k
R14 v Hawthorn (MCG) = 59 v 126
R15 v Richmond (Subi) = 75 v 152
R20 v Melbourne (MCG) = 45 v 79 "loss to the wooden spooners"
R21 v Hawthorn (Subi) = 62 v 133 "Brauns last game"
R22 v Geelong Cats (GMHBA) = 65 v 164

Yeah, this has to be our worst season.

All in all, our season was destroyed in one quarter single handedly by Scott Lucas.
Freo were that sort of team back then that would have tanked their last game by enough to see Port beat us to second on percentage. I honestly doubt there was any scenario where we finished second that season regardless of how much we beat Essendon by. Port beating Geelong in Geelong at the death the week before gave them second spot.

2008 Season Losses

R2 v Adelaide Crows (AAMI) = 57 v 133
R4 v Sydney Swans (ANZ) = 45 v 107 "Barry Hall you f**k
R6 v Western Bulldogs (Marvel) = 74 v 134
R10 v Collingwood (MCG) = 73 v 173
R13 v Geelong Cats (Subi) = 47 v 182 "sandwich eating f**k
R14 v Hawthorn (MCG) = 59 v 126
R15 v Richmond (Subi) = 75 v 152
R20 v Melbourne (MCG) = 45 v 79 "loss to the wooden spooners"
R21 v Hawthorn (Subi) = 62 v 133 "Brauns last game"
R22 v Geelong Cats (GMHBA) = 65 v 164

Yeah, this has to be our worst season.
1.10 after half time in that Melbourne game.

Richmond kicked something like 11 goals in the second quarter alone in that game.

At least against the Bulldogs I kinda remember it being the emergence of Kennedy and Masten

2009 for me the last 5 games could of really screwed our rebuild went from potentially getting a top 3 pick and priority selection to pick 7 and some in the 20’s. Really got let off in the 2010 draft as good as this draft was Gaff, Darling and Lycett were A+ level talents and pretty close to sure things only McGovern was a product of good scouting imo. Seriously got let off by clubs incompetence by netting darling at 26 and Lycett at 29 I feel brander and Allen will be a similar story

2008-09was so bad to see premiership champs turn to potatoes.

At least 2010 was a bit more tanky

2010 we had a bunch of young guys getting their s**t together (S. Selwood, Masten, Schofield, MacKenzie, McKinley, Ash Smith, Ebert, Stevenson, Hams, Strijk, Sheppard, Naitanui). We gave most games a decent crack but got run over the top towards the end.

Back