Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 144 47.5%
  • Essendon

Votes: 70 23.1%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 89 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Both clubs have been through tough times and both appear to be transitioning into power clubs.

Blues - a strong spine with Charlie Curnow fit, one key defender short but they have options. Midfield although lacking a fraction of depth now looks potent with the addition of Cerra. Sam Walsh re-signing must be huge for morale

Bombers - have some very impressive upside with young, emerging talent amongst the best in the competition. Appear to have found the key to unlocking Jake Stringers talent more consistently and have very impressive leadership with Heppell one of the better more unassuming leaders in the competition.

Which one do you fancy and why?

If Voss can coach some semblance of a defensive structure at Carlton they'll be dangerous. Their departure from draft & develop in the last couple of seasons (picking up flankers - Martin, McGovern, Williams, Saad) is a concern.

Essendon's core for their next challenge are kids, so I voted Carlton as Essendon will take longer. I really really rate Draper though and Peter Wright for very little cost was a very smart pick up for them.

Current lists Essendon have the fair better chance, Their list is head and shoulders above Carltons however realistically both teams have large holes in their lists to fill to properly challenge and compete with the teams above them as well as the teams developing below

I think Carlton has the better team right now, They should finish above us this year, But I can't see their current list winning a flag. I think we are closer to a flag but we are still another 3-4 years away from genuinely competing, Assuming the KPP's we have waiting to fill some holes don't fall over and die.

Last edited:
Both clubs have been through tough times and both appear to be transitioning into power clubs.

Blues - a strong spine with Charlie Curnow fit
, one key defender short but they have options. Midfield although lacking a fraction of depth now looks potent with the addition of Cerra. Sam Walsh re-signing must be huge for morale

Bombers - have some very impressive upside with young, emerging talent amongst the best in the competition. Appear to have found the key to unlocking Jake Stringers talent more consistently and have very impressive leadership with Heppell one of the better more unassuming leaders in the competition.

Which one do you fancy and why?
4 games 2021, 0 games 2020, 11 games 2019.

Curnow fit? Maybe ease off on that until he manages 17 games in a season minimum (although for the Blues to play finals he needs at least 20 games next season).

Current lists Essendon have the fair better chance, Their list is head and shoulders above Carltons however realistically both teams have large holes in their lists to fill to properly challenge and compete with the teams above them as well as the teams developing below
Based on what metric?

Neither - both will have the longest/2nd longest premiership droughts in 25 years time.
Agree. These teams are so far off it. It seems like the big vic clubs of old have not adapted well to the change from VFL to AFL. Look how long it took Richmond to come good again. Will take these two twice as long IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. These teams are so far off it. It seems like the big vic clubs of old have not adapted well to the change from VFL to AFL. Look how long it took Richmond to come good again. Will take these two twice as long IMO.
AFL ? 1990 yes ? Won two since then.

12 to 18 months ago I would have said Carlton but last year was a real backward step in their list development and Essendon has threatened before only to fade however Rutten has a strong group of young players and senior players.

12 to 18 months ago I would have said Carlton but last year was a real backward step in their list development and Essendon has threatened before only to fade however Rutten has a strong group of young players and senior players.
Remember Melbourne's massive backwoods step only 2 years ago

Both sides have key positions they still need to fill.

Essendon’s midfield has plenty of talent, but will need to find balance amongst similar skilled players. Their spine isn’t that great, they need to find some quality in the key forward and defensive posts.

The Blues have a stronger spine but need for find some midfield support for Walsh and some better role players. I’d also be a bit concerned about the blues having the right culture just now, a lot of imports on big money. Do they crave ultimate success too or was money their main motive in footy?

I’d say Essendon but both are a way out from a flag.

Based on what metric?
Carlton haven't finished higher then 10th in about 8 years so their list should be primed for success as they rebuilt at the same time as Brisbane who have challenged the last 3 years, Essendon were competitive against the better teams but were often blown out later in games as they lack top end KPP talent

Carlton haven't finished higher then 10th in about 8 years so their list should be primed for success as they rebuilt at the same time as Brisbane who have challenged the last 3 years, Essendon were competitive against the better teams but were often blown out later in games as they lack top end KPP talent

Umm no, lions started their build in 2013

If we were to have emulated the lions, yes, we should have made finals last year

Back