Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 144 47.5%
  • Essendon

Votes: 70 23.1%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 89 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing is I can’t be fcked waiting anymore 20 years has been enough for me I’m tired of waiting I want results now
Bombers420years!!! :p
I feel we're paying for 2000.
That was too much fun.

I recommend finding a 2nd team and living vicariously through them. Ive been on the dees...they finally paid off.

Option b is just track players and enjoy their teams success (obv not ours).

We're bit of an effort at the moment

That was too much fun.

I recommend finding a 2nd team and living vicariously through them. Ive been on the dees...they finally paid off.

BOMBERS_4_LIFE_SENTENCE

as much as i dislike the cultyness of many essendon fans i do enjoy and respect your ability to laugh at the bleakness
im curious to know when that cult mentality set in
I don't recall it early days (I was a kid though), but seems to have really crept in at the turn of the century. Perhaps that one season in 2000, then the rude shock of the Lions dynasty putting up a wall.

perhaps this period of bare fruit is a ways of exorcising it. and the manifestation is Dodoro & the rotating door of Essendon people on the board.
Brasher has to end his tenure next year. I am hoping we look outside the 4 walls of those who have been there or come before when we pick the next president.

I don't recall it early days (I was a kid though), but seems to have really crept in at the turn of the century. Perhaps that one season in 2000, then the rude shock of the Lions dynasty putting up a wall.

perhaps this period of bare fruit is a ways of exorcising it. and the manifestation is Dodoro & the rotating door of Essendon people on the board.
Brasher has to end his tenure next year. I am hoping we look outside the 4 walls of those who have been there or come before when we pick the next president.
Would that cult mentality have started during the saga? In Hird we trust. Back our boys? Or did that just magnify it?

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would that cult mentality have started during the saga? In Hird we trust. Back our boys? Or did that just magnify it?

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
magnify I imagine
there was a period of we're the best cos Sheeds (many clubs have done this since)
or because we're big 4.
Then I think pre-saga with the Hird/Bomber dream team
Then saga probably solidified it.

always felt a bit outside it.
Wasn't a fan of appointing a part time under 9's coach as our senior coach.
or bringing in a burnt out Bomber to hold the back of the bike.
Sheeds on the board, get Solomon back (though I'm not totally opposed here as he seemed to be well regarded at GCS and hard done by with the Covid cuts....but not because he's an ex-ess enforcer), I couldn't handle Hird back in the seat tbh.

given how much it's failed us, perhaps the question of "how do we do this the Essendon way" should be asked, and we do the opposite of whatever the answer is.

3-5 years of absolute commitment to the draft (need to make 25-30 picks in that time), proper coaching (Rutten is fine as the guy to sacrifice going through the rebuild, but you'd want a proper coach at the end) and development is all it takes.
See that type of thinking is exactly what led to Essendon's current position.

Rutten is fine as a coach. How he wants us to play is sustainable, proven and defensively accountable. He has the right credentials as a coach having developed the best defensive team of the last 10 years alongside Caracella and Hardwick. We should instead be focusing on why we're STILL chasing a big bodied mid after years of the same issue and why senior players are not committing to team defence.

We've gone through many coaches because of our inability to get players to defend and build a list capable of limiting scoring. We've wasted good forwards, defenders and KPPs because we stock the list with 180cm mids instead of looking for a balanced midfield. Instead of throwing out the players who aren't willing to defend or looking at the list managers that built an imbalanced midfield, we churn through coaches.

If Rutten is removed within the next 4 years, then the club won't go anywhere. We need a Hardwick at Richmond and Goodwin at Melbourne type coach. Rutten is that person.

Carlton are the closest they've been to a premiership since 2000.

Essendon are as far away from a premiership as they've been since 2000.

Carlton are the closest they've been to a premiership since 2000.

Essendon are as far away from a premiership as they've been since 2000.

Surely Essendon’s 2016 season was worse when they lost a bunch of players to bans, lost something like 18 games on the trot, and won the wooden spoon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed this back when but for mine it was Sheedy, particularly after the baby bombers years as he constantly promised that each new recruit would be the next big thing as he hung on along with the justifications he used to get the club at every 'flagship' game.

See that type of thinking is exactly what led to Essendon's current position.

Rutten is fine as a coach. How he wants us to play is sustainable, proven and defensively accountable. He has the right credentials as a coach having developed the best defensive team of the last 10 years alongside Caracella and Hardwick. We should instead be focusing on why we're STILL chasing a big bodied mid after years of the same issue and why senior players are not committing to team defence.

We've gone through many coaches because of our inability to get players to defend and build a list capable of limiting scoring. We've wasted good forwards, defenders and KPPs because we stock the list with 180cm mids instead of looking for a balanced midfield. Instead of throwing out the players who aren't willing to defend or looking at the list managers that built an imbalanced midfield, we churn through coaches.

If Rutten is removed within the next 4 years, then the club won't go anywhere. We need a Hardwick at Richmond and Goodwin at Melbourne type coach. Rutten is that person.
From the outside it doesn’t look like Rutten has the charisma to lead and AFL team. While Teague’s laid back attitude was what Carlton needed after the intense Bolton, that suffered due to the lack of success, He was never going to be the right guy long term.

Rotten looks like he has been promoted beyond his capability.

From the outside it doesn’t look like Rutten has the charisma to lead and AFL team. While Teague’s laid back attitude was what Carlton needed after the intense Bolton, that suffered due to the lack of success, He was never going to be the right guy long term.

Pretty sure every experienced AFL coach will tell you that all first time AFL coaches have been promoted beyond their capability. (Including themselves). The trick is to learn quickly.

Pretty sure every experienced AFL coach will tell you that all first time AFL coaches have been promoted beyond their capability. (Including themselves). The trick is to learn quickly.
Sure there is a learning on the job with any promotion and there will be self doubts, but Rutte n seems to be lacking a core ingredient of being a senior coach. The ability to motivate and inspire

Sure there is a learning on the job with any promotion and there will be self doubts, but Rutte n seems to be lacking a core ingredient of being a senior coach. The ability to motivate and inspire

We are *ingg boring to watch last game i went to this season was against Freo in round 5. im not wasting my time and money to watch the garbage we are prodcuing every week

That was too much fun.

I did something similar, in a different way.

For years I look forward to 2 games each week. I support the blues to win and bombers to lose.

My whole family are Essendon supporters and they have always given it to me when my team lost so my 2nd team became anyone who plays your mob.

In tough times we just have to do something to get through. It's football and nothing person. It swings in roundabouts

I did something similar, in a different way.

For years I look forward to 2 games each week. I support the blues to win and bombers to lose.

My whole family are Essendon supporters and they have always given it to me when my team lost so my 2nd team became anyone who plays your mob.

In tough times we just have to do something to get through. It's football and nothing person. It swings in roundabouts
Im similar, half my family/relatives are Essendon, and I hate them. Shoe will always be on the other foot at some point, we have every right to enjoy and give it to them now.

It wasn't an issue last year when the team made finals. So many coaches have come and gone with different levels of charisma for the same result.
When the list strategy is fundamentally flawed, then no amount of charisma will make up for those flaws.

I'm sick of people immediately going for the coach only half a season after an unexpected finals appearance to draw attention away from the board, the CEO and the list managers.

There's currently no developing mid in the VFL. Is that Rutten's fault? Not at all. He didn't build this list. He needs time to build a list that plays the way he wants.

It wasn't an issue last year when the team made finals. So many coaches have come and gone with different levels of charisma for the same result.
When the list strategy is fundamentally flawed, then no amount of charisma will make up for those flaws.

I'm sick of people immediately going for the coach only half a season after an unexpected finals appearance to draw attention away from the board, the CEO and the list managers.

There's currently no developing mid in the VFL. Is that Rutten's fault? Not at all. He didn't build this list. He needs time to build a list that plays the way he wants.

Agreed.
But we all know if the losses continue to mount this season there will need to be a fall guy.
Rutten is the “outsider” and will be fed to the lions … nothing surer …

Back