Review Which spud did you think was going to be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Salopek, Colquhoun, even Lewis Stevenson to some extent
Well Salopek doesn't really fit the spud descriptor IMO, he was an excellent player in the brief periods a ridiculous range of injuries and illnesses weren't tearing at him.
Colquhoun I've mentioned earlier.
Stevenson, who thought he was going to be a star? I didn't even remember him and had to look him up. Played 11 games for West Coast in 2010, zilch in 2011-12. Came to us in 2013 and played 9 games. No games in 2014 and goodbye.

Bold claim on Pfieffer IMO but am happy to hear the rationale of why/when anyone thought he was going to be a star.
Colquhoun would normally be a good pick for this thread as he seemed to have reached a ceiling with us. But I reckon his time with Sturt has seen him lift and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get re-drafted by somebody.
Jacobs yes. A classic example of why a proven player trade in for a 1st round draft pick is no reason for us to slit our wrists. His recent story I don't really get. Norf talked him up big as an effective 90s style tagger. Then some injury and he's uncontracted with his career hanging on the edge.
I never thought Colquhoun would be a star, but I thought he would have a long career with us as a solid first 22 player. He performed admirably in his first year, in which he was the youngest player on an AFL list. It's a shame that his knee injury hampered him. He just wasn't the same player afterwards. He's no spud though.

Bold claim on Pfieffer IMO but am happy to hear the rationale of why/when anyone thought he was going to be a star.
Colquhoun would normally be a good pick for this thread as he seemed to have reached a ceiling with us. But I reckon his time with Sturt has seen him lift and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get re-drafted by somebody.
Jacobs yes. A classic example of why a proven player trade in for a 1st round draft pick is no reason for us to slit our wrists. His recent story I don't really get. Norf talked him up big as an effective 90s style tagger. Then some injury and he's uncontracted with his career hanging on the edge.
The way he played just seemed to me like he could develop into a great player as you can tell I was terribly wrong

Can I say which spud did I know was going to be a bigger spud? :rolleyes:

I can still recall watching a Hawks game some years back and seeing Nathan Lonie visibly ease himself out of a contest :oops: ( and that is putting it nicely! )
Clarko sent the hook out straight away, and I don't think NL represented the Hawks at AFL level again.

How we traded for that soft spud still rankles, and every time I try and build a bridge it falls down. ;)

Can I say which spud did I know was going to be a bigger spud? :rolleyes:

I can still recall watching a Hawks game some years back and seeing Nathan Lonie visibly ease himself out of a contest :oops: ( and that is putting it nicely! )
Clarko sent the hook out straight away, and I don't think NL represented the Hawks at AFL level again.

How we traded for that soft spud still rankles, and every time I try and build a bridge it falls down. ;)
That was a special deal. His twin brother Ryan sent Collingwood fans ballistic for the same reason. In context no-one except Choco thought he'd be a star.
I just looked up his record, his best year was 2005 with 11 goals in 12 games - and we took him after that. Hats off Clarkson, well played.

Well Salopek doesn't really fit the spud descriptor IMO, he was an excellent player in the brief periods a ridiculous range of injuries and illnesses weren't tearing at him.
Stevenson, who thought he was going to be a star? I didn't even remember him and had to look him up. Played 11 games for West Coast in 2010, zilch in 2011-12. Came to us in 2013 and played 9 games. No games in 2014 and goodbye.

I didn't mind Stevenson, brought a bit of composure to the half back line but was there to do one job and one job only and that was to distribute the footy. Broadbent and Hartlett were far more versatile footballers and superseded him pretty quickly.

Yeah, Salopek's body just evaporated. Ticked every box otherwise. Had 25 & 2 as a 22yo in the 2007 Prelim, averaged over 20 touches for a 3 or 4 years and even managed to register a Brownlow vote in his last game when we avoided the spoon at Adelaide Oval.

Had he not contracted glandular fever during 2004 he's almost certainly a premiership player.

Unfortunate parallels with Hartlett.

Yeah we looked pretty good at the end of 2010, winning 5 of the last 7 under Primus but that turned out to be a curse in disguise.

I've no doubt Primus was hindered by literally every other aspect that should go in to a good football program, and with competence around him he would have done better. That doesn't mean some of his coaching wasn't downright deplorable.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate using the term spud, particularly with this example and the sterling sanfl contribution he made leading up to our entry in the afl, but Nigel Fiegert's career never took off like I hoped it would. That bulldogs game in '97:fire: :) :fire:

Brett Chalmers was another

Remove this Banner Ad

Back