Politics Which state/territory will be the next to reopen their borders?

Which state/territory will remove their border restrictions first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ironically Pauline has used the High Court to challenge Palasczuk's border closures.

Her lawyer is getting named and shamed by the usual activists on Twitter 😂.

Im sure the $2,000 a day more than makes up for Twitter being upset at them for a day or 2 before getting bored and moving on to the next outrage.

WA intrastate borders opening this week is a good start, especially since it is almost immediate and not weeks into the future. The restrictions for travel into remote indigenous communities still make sense, they get an extra buffer in the unlikely event that something does go wrong.

Travel between WA and SA should have started up again a week or 2 ago.

That said, SA completely stuffed up letting someone travel from the UK via Victoria without the 2 weeks isolation.

And WA along with the Feds completely stuffed up the sheep carrier too.

And we plebs continue to suffer while the authorities go from bungle to bungle.

I think the State Premiers are digging themselves into hole on this issue.

It is becoming increasingly too difficult to justify why it is safe for a person to travel from Brisbane to the Gold Coast, but not for a person to travel Tweed Heads to the Gold Coast. I have heard the Queensland Premier refer to reviewing travel restrictions after 28 days without a case of community transmission, but this would appear to be untenable position in light of the fact that 28 days without a case of community transmission was never a condition of lifting internal travel restrictions.

I'd like to see SA open its borders to other states which also have control over the virus. WA, NT, Tasmania and the ACT. SA's Premier has hinted at this as well (although he didn't specify which states. QLD might not be far off too, but NSW and Victoria are still months away.

Also wouldn't mind NZ opening its borders to the Australian states that have contained the virus.

Travel between WA and SA should have started up again a week or 2 ago.

That said, SA completely stuffed up letting someone travel from the UK via Victoria without the 2 weeks isolation.

And WA along with the Feds completely stuffed up the sheep carrier too.

And we plebs continue to suffer while the authorities go from bungle to bungle.
Yep, SA dropped the ball there. Although there was a breakdown of communication from the Victorian authorities which didn't help

(although he didn't specify which states. QLD might not be far off too, but NSW and Victoria are still months away.
I would suggest that is more likely weeks than months, particularly for NSW. NSW is getting very close to having no cases of local tranmission. They have had no cases of local transmission in 9 of the last 14 days (8 cases total).

I would suggest that is more likely weeks than months, particularly for NSW. NSW is getting very close to having no cases of local tranmission. They have had no cases of local transmission in 9 of the last 14 days (8 cases total).

And the local ones have all been related to known cases.

Except possibly the 2 school kids the other day. But I assume they will track the sources.

And the local ones have all been related to known cases.

Except possibly the 2 school kids the other day. But I assume they will track the sources.
Most of the recent cases do not (currently) have a known source (7 of the 8), which is actually not particularly concerning. Of the 7 cases of potential community transmission, 6 have not resulted in a single case amongst their close contacts. This suggest asymptomatic and mild cases identified from widespread community transmission are not particularly infectious.

People from Qld within 150km of the NSW border will be able to visit NSW and return without 14 day isolation but not the other way around

Current Queensland regulations limit people to travel within 150km of their homes, or 500km if they live in outback areas. No overnight tourism is allowed until 13 June.

From 1 June, New South Wales will allow travel to regional areas in an attempt to restart its local tourism industry.

More than 3 million Queenslanders live within 150km of the New South Wales border and could cross without breaching the existing local restrictions.

Vic has extended its state of emergency. I'd link the ABC but they must be running from home & on a long Sunday lunch.

'The Victorian government declaration empowering strict social distancing laws has been extended.

Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos announced the State of Emergency would now end at 11.59pm June 21.'

Wont be a Pacific bubble anytime soon.

Vic has extended its state of emergency. I'd link the ABC but they must be running from home & on a long Sunday lunch.

'The Victorian government declaration empowering strict social distancing laws has been extended.

Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos announced the State of Emergency would now end at 11.59pm June 21.'

Wont be a Pacific bubble anytime soon.
You do realise that Western Australia is also still under a state of emergency (which was extended three days ago), and that the state of emergency is the legal mechanism which gives the Western Australia government the power to close the borders (as well as give legal force to all the public health directives)?

You do realise that Western Australia is also still under a state of emergency (which was extended three days ago), and that the state of emergency is the legal mechanism which gives the Western Australia government the power to close the borders (as well as give legal force to all the public health directives)?

Yes & I'm also aware the internal borders in the Kimberley are still in place.

I've no objection to the borders if that is your suggestion. If Melbourne were to be locked down I'd think Tootgarook would be in it & thats fine, the post covid world needs to be adopted & one size may not fit all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And so what point are you trying to make highlighting that Victoria has extended its state of emergency?

Its newsworthy & as I suggested the problem is Melbourne not Vic wide.

The headline that lead my post is from the article linked.

Are you suggesting I have some agenda, spit it out.

Its newsworthy & as I suggested the problem is Melbourne not Vic wide.

The headline that lead my post is from the article linked.

Are you suggesting I have some agenda, spit it out.
It is not newsworthy.

The State of Emergency in Victoria was always going to be extended, because it is legally necessary to do so in order for the staged re-open to occur.

You know what will also not be newsworthy? When Victoria extends the state of emergency on 21 June and Western Australia extends its state of emergency on 11 June.

It is not newsworthy.

The State of Emergency in Victoria was always going to be extended, because it is legally necessary to do so in order for the staged re-open to occur.

You know what will also not be newsworthy? When Victoria extends the state of emergency on 21 June and Western Australia extends its state of emergency on 11 June.

Well pardon me.

NT have lifted all restrictions barring the restrictions with their borders.
I suggest they'll open their borders before any of the other jurisdictions do.

Victoria is the Sweden of Australia. Wouldn't blame any state for slamming the door in our faces.

Victoria is the Sweden of Australia. Wouldn't blame any state for slamming the door in our faces.

ACT, NSW and Victoria all employed the flatten the curve strategy.

Queensland, WA, SA, Tasmania and NT all employed the elimination strategy.

I wish the whole country did what New Zealand did which was go hard, go early and eliminate coronavirus.

Instead we have six states and two territories, all who have differences betwern one another in how they've gone about handling the pamdemic.

NT have clearly been the most successful because they're the only state/territory to have officially eliminated the coronavirus completely.
Life in the NT for the locals is basically no different to what it was pre corona.

NT have removed all their restrictions that were in place around the territory and the only difference between now and the pre corona days is the border restrictions that are in place.

Victoria on the other hand is a completely different story to the NT.
We have had and continue to have the toughest restrictions out of any state/territory.

ACT have been most successful out of the states/territories that employed the flatten the curve strategy but that isn't really something brag worthy at all, and for two reasons.

1. Being more successful than NSW and Victoria who were the two others who employed flatten the curve isn't exactly something that would've been hard to do.

2. ACT as we know is a tiny territory landlocked by NSW so succeeding in flattening the curve in such a tiny territory isn't exactly hard to do.

As for NSW vs Victoria, previously I would have said Victoria were doing better than NSW at flattening the curve but now it's clear that NSW are doing better than Victoria in this regard.

Victoria have far tougher restrictions in place than NSW do.
However Victoria are currently clocking up new cases on a more consistent basis than NSW are.

No country in the world has employed the flatten the curve strategy and succeeded with achieving their goal.
State governments of NSW and Victoria still think they'll achieve their goal though.

Back to the states/territories that employed the elimination strategy.

Number 1 is clearly NT and I've covered the NT already.

Number 2 is SA given that like NT they have no active cases remaining.
Not enough time has passed yet for SA to officially be declared covid free though.
They still have restrictions in place around the state but they should remove all restrictions in the state shortly.
Life in SA will then be back to what it was pre corona with the only difference being the border restrictions in place.
There's talk of fans being able to pack out Adelaide Oval for the Showdown next week.
Hopefully it gets the go ahead.

Next is Tasmania who have now gone 24 days without a new case and with just two active cases remaining, they'll join the NT and SA in having no coronavirus cases.

Queensland have been widely criticised by many people regarding the way in which they've handled the coronavirus pandemic.
Queensland were close to achieving their goal of elimination like Tasmania are at present but unfortunately they appear to have made a major mistake which is known as fruit picker gate.

WA being the only state/territory with a hard border in place clearly went harder than the others with trying to achieve elimination.
Yet as it stands they've had the least success out of the states/territories which set the goal to eliminate corona.
WA and Queensland may swap places before we know it though.

ACT, NSW and Victoria all employed the flatten the curve strategy.

Queensland, WA, SA, Tasmania and NT all employed the elimination strategy.

I wish the whole country did what New Zealand did which was go hard, go early and eliminate coronavirus.

Instead we have six states and two territories, all who have differences betwern one another in how they've gone about handling the pamdemic.

NT have clearly been the most successful because they're the only state/territory to have officially eliminated the coronavirus completely.
Life in the NT for the locals is basically no different to what it was pre corona.

NT have removed all their restrictions that were in place around the territory and the only difference between now and the pre corona days is the border restrictions that are in place.

Victoria on the other hand is a completely different story to the NT.
We have had and continue to have the toughest restrictions out of any state/territory.

ACT have been most successful out of the states/territories that employed the flatten the curve strategy but that isn't really something brag worthy at all, and for two reasons.

1. Being more successful than NSW and Victoria who were the two others who employed flatten the curve isn't exactly something that would've been hard to do.

2. ACT as we know is a tiny territory landlocked by NSW so succeeding in flattening the curve in such a tiny territory isn't exactly hard to do.

As for NSW vs Victoria, previously I would have said Victoria were doing better than NSW at flattening the curve but now it's clear that NSW are doing better than Victoria in this regard.

Victoria have far tougher restrictions in place than NSW do.
However Victoria are currently clocking up new cases on a more consistent basis than NSW are.

No country in the world has employed the flatten the curve strategy and succeeded with achieving their goal.
State governments of NSW and Victoria still think they'll achieve their goal though.

Back to the states/territories that employed the elimination strategy.

Number 1 is clearly NT and I've covered the NT already.

Number 2 is SA given that like NT they have no active cases remaining.
Not enough time has passed yet for SA to officially be declared covid free though.
They still have restrictions in place around the state but they should remove all restrictions in the state shortly.
Life in SA will then be back to what it was pre corona with the only difference being the border restrictions in place.
There's talk of fans being able to pack out Adelaide Oval for the Showdown next week.
Hopefully it gets the go ahead.

Next is Tasmania who have now gone 24 days without a new case and with just two active cases remaining, they'll join the NT and SA in having no coronavirus cases.

Queensland have been widely criticised by many people regarding the way in which they've handled the coronavirus pandemic.
Queensland were close to achieving their goal of elimination like Tasmania are at present but unfortunately they appear to have made a major mistake which is known as fruit picker gate.

WA being the only state/territory with a hard border in place clearly went harder than the others with trying to achieve elimination.
Yet as it stands they've had the least success out of the states/territories which set the goal to eliminate corona.
WA and Queensland may swap places before we know it though.

Actuallly SA has had only two cases since April 22. One being a bloke who returned from overseas in March and when he was tested in a May he wasn’t showing symptoms and as shedding the virus whilst the second one was the overseas visitor who came back via Victoria and hadn’t spent her full 14 days in quarantine and tested positive on arrival back in SA and went back into quarantine.

There has been no community transmission since late March.

We have had a total of 5 cases since the 17th April!

Not sure what we need to do to get a full removal of restrictions. Just bizarre.

Back