Which streaming services do you use/recommend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
I currently have:

Netflix
Stan
Binge
Disney

With access to Amazon and Kayo from friends logins.

Do you use anything else?

After playing around in the screenshot game thread in GD and what not, I keep seeing the names of movies n stuff that I want to watch and am surprised at how much content appears to be on Apple+.

For anyone that has Apple+ - is it worth having in addition or in replacement of the ones I already have?

None. Netflix and Stan have a lot of old content. I was on Kayo for 5 minutes and i found it was sh*t.

There's not a Blockbuster equivalent which has continual new releases. That's what I would subscribe to.

Yeah, I mean I only accessed Kayo because I don't have foxtel and want to watch the footy

I have Netflix, Disney+ and Kayo.

I don't mind Kayo, not sure of it's worth more than $5.00 though. Besides the AFL the only other sport I enjoyed watching was the MLB, especially as I'm a Braves fan. :D

I wouldn't pay for Apple. Apart from mystic quest and the tom hanks movie. Not much on there at all. Tubi is free and has some good stuff especially if you like old stuff. Curiosity stream for 3 bucks a month is good if you like docos as well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have:

Netflix - was ready to give it a break but my kids watch it, plus some new seasons of shows I like are coming back soon (Cobra Kai, Witcher etc).

Binge - only got recently and am enjoying working thru its best stuff I haven’t seen like Succession.

Amazon - haven’t watched for a while but it’s so cheap it feels like it doesn’t really matter.

Apple TV plus - has plenty of “ok” stuff, not much A grade. Ted Lasso is fantastic though.

I think all are worth having for a while, then if you’re really organised (unlike me!) once u churn thru all their best stuff u could cancel the subscription for a while.

I’m going to list a fair few, but with the caveat that all the entertainment ones are shared with family members, with each of us paying for one or two…

Netflix spend more time adding stuff to watch list than watching but still bingeable. Most recent viewing was Red Notice, Tiger King 2 and Animal Kingdom s5.
Stan (including Stan Sport when UEFA Champions League is on) - only really use it for Better Call Saul and Billions, a few older shows, as well as football/soccer, but will give Yellowstone a crack
Disney+ barely used apart from Mando, will watch Boba Fett series soon. Movies over 2 hours or large libraries (ie. MCU) stop me from even starting. Some decent older content in Star.
Amazon Prime just pay annually but had a free 12 months through Optus deal. Loved Sneaky Pete and Bosch, but both are done now. Some decent sport Docos and quick release movie titles.
Apple TV+ 12 months free with purchase of Apple TV 4K media box. Watched Ted Lasso, Morning Wars, Servant and Invasion, plus a couple others. Great PQ! Not bad for free…
Paramount+ only really watched a few A-League games so far. Some decent content on the mental watch list.
Optus Sport free with phone account, but mandatory and among most used apps. Best Premier League coverage ever in Australia.
Kayo mainly for AFL and Melbourne Storm games, plus some cricket
MLB single team access - 162 Red Sox Games plus Post Season matches.
Hulu through Black Friday deals it’s only ~$1.35AUD a month
HBO Max subscribed through Hulu. Had same day as Theatre release in home, in 4K this year
Youtube Premium use more than anything else tbh.
Spotify free version. For the odd Joe Rogan binge. Can’t justify paying sub for this and YouTube, and I use YT more, so…

Last edited:
Stan (which I quite like) is the only paid one, supplemented with various free options like Kanopy, SBSoD, Tubi, etc.

I have family with Netflix, Disney plus, etc. so on occasion I get access to those.

I have:

Netflix: Still my go-to service and the one I watch the most.

Binge - Not bad content. Has HBO shows on it.

Amazon Prime - They have a great database of movies and are very cheap. Depends on what's on as to how much I watch it.

Apple TV+ Not bad. Not a lot of content

Paramount+ - Improving all the time.

Kayo - Mostly for AFL and BBL

Disney+ - This has become my second fav service. Lots of MCU and Star Wars content and Star provides shows from HULU.

Netflix - Happy to keep but wouldn’t kill me if I unsubbed and only re-subbed when required.
Stan - About to unsub. Lost so much stuff recently, will resub to finish West Wing and again when last season of BCS comes out.
Binge - Quality is iffy but HBO.
Prime - Shipping pays for itself.
Disney - Sub as required, don’t use it much.
Kayo - Couldn’t live without it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazon is the best and cheapest.

New to streaming. Am in the process of getting rid of FOXTEL for Kayo, Binge and Flash News to cover all the FOXTEL stuff I currently watch, and will also get a couple of other services. My 2021 4K LG OLED TV supports Kayo and Binge, but not Flash News. Is it likely that Flash News will be available through the TV any time soon or is it a case of if it's not there now it never will be?

New to streaming. Am in the process of getting rid of FOXTEL for Kayo, Binge and Flash News to cover all the FOXTEL stuff I currently watch, and will also get a couple of other services. My 2021 4K LG OLED TV supports Kayo and Binge, but not Flash News. Is it likely that Flash News will be available through the TV any time soon or is it a case of if it's not there now it never will be?
I would say yes. Kayo and binge and foxtel are always late to the party. Foxtel is a slow company technology wise

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Like others, we share all the streaming services with different family members to keep the cost down. We currently have:

Netflix - Has a really wide variety of content, easily the best option for stand-up and more/better original content than any of the others (including some great non-English speaking shows)

Foxtel Go - Considering going to Binge, but the quality of the streaming wasn't so great in the free trial (way cheaper though). Has HBO, which is basically all my favourite shows (both current and past).

Stan - Not as wide content as Netflix, but probably has the best documentary range (lots of Attenborough and Louis Theroux) and a bunch of great shows that might not get all the praise.

Disney+ - Basically because we've got a 4yo girl and it's cheaper than a babysitter. The adult content is pretty light on if you don't like Star Wars or Marvel.

Prime Video - Only bothered to use it because it came free with my wife's Amazon Prime account for good shipping. I've been totally underwhelmed with everything I've watched on there except Good Omens, which was fantastic.

AppleTV+ - It doesn't really work well with our chromecast, so it's often too annoying to try. Again, we got a years free because of a laptop upgrade, but wouldn't bother apart from that. The original content is OK, but not amazing.

Kayo - For some reason our rental doesn't have an aerial and I gotta watch the footy somehow. It's bloody expensive though.

Prime Video - Only bothered to use it because it came free with my wife's Amazon Prime account for good shipping. I've been totally underwhelmed with everything I've watched on there except Good Omens, which was fantastic.

Have you tried The Boys?
And more recently, I found Reacher fantastic

I have Kayo on all the time to watch the Eagles and Raiders in winter, and to watch the cricket and college football on ESPN in summer. (I'm always on a deal with them - at the moment I think I'm only paying $5 a month)

Other than that, I only subscribe to anything for a month when there's something I want to watch. From that perspective, I'm devo that Disney+ makes you subscribe for a year, cos I watched the first episode and a half of the Beatles doco at a friends place, but now have no way to finish it, cos I'm not paying 10 months worth of Disney for it when I suspect it's the streaming service that would have the least for me.

I would've been on Paramount+ by now for the A-League, but people I trust keep telling me it's utter garbage that would not suit my occasional rage issues. I wish I could have Stan Sport for the football - but I think at some point you have to put a line under what you're prepared to pay. Cheap streaming services were always the dream... but I don't think anyone anticipated that there would be 6 or 7 of them, and subscribing to all of them is much more than the cost of Foxtel that all of us used to bitch about to get a lot of this stuff in one place.

I'd never even heard of Flash until a week ago.

At the launch of Flash on Wednesday, executive director of the new streaming service, Kate De Brito, said the platform will deliver a “genuine diversity” of news, opinion and perspective, and will allow viewers to consume news at a time of their choice, and from their preferred source, “whether your politics are progressive, in the centre, or conservative”.

God I hated this. I'm not even 40 yet, but I'm still old enough to remember when the news was the news. You weren't subbing to these streaming services that are urging you to find your own echo chamber.

I've never believed that ABC news is biased. (Some of their entertainment programs? Sure - but not their news. If anything the aren't hard enough on the government.) So I'm not sure what anyone searching for the actual news is getting from Flash that they can't get from the ABC.

I have Kayo on all the time to watch the Eagles and Raiders in winter, and to watch the cricket and college football on ESPN in summer. (I'm always on a deal with them - at the moment I think I'm only paying $5 a month)

Other than that, I only subscribe to anything for a month when there's something I want to watch. From that perspective, I'm devo that Disney+ makes you subscribe for a year, cos I watched the first episode and a half of the Beatles doco at a friends place, but now have no way to finish it, cos I'm not paying 10 months worth of Disney for it when I suspect it's the streaming service that would have the least for me.

I would've been on Paramount+ by now for the A-League, but people I trust keep telling me it's utter garbage that would not suit my occasional rage issues. I wish I could have Stan Sport for the football - but I think at some point you have to put a line under what you're prepared to pay. Cheap streaming services were always the dream... but I don't think anyone anticipated that there would be 6 or 7 of them, and subscribing to all of them is much more than the cost of Foxtel that all of us used to b*tch about to get a lot of this stuff in one place.
I'll need to know how you get that kayo deal ...

I'll need to know how you get that kayo deal ...

I don't remember exactly (and now I think about it, I think I must be very close to the end of my 12 months of paying $5).

I think what it was though is that I had 2 different accounts - I had 2 different phone numbers and 2 different credit cards, so I was able to create 2 accounts for their opening specials. Then you just cancel one and activate the other, and 6 months later you're being offered crazy good deals for the account that's inactive.

So I think my current $5 deal is just a fortunate thing where it was the account tied to my Telstra account hadn't been active, so they gave me the $5 a month offer to bring me back (even though I already had Kayo through my second credit card/email address.)

I'm not sure this helps anyone else (especially if you aren't a Telstra customer), but that's how I lucked my way into a 12-month contract at $5 a month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back