• Sydney: Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Heeney

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • West Coast: Shuey, Naitanui, McGovern, Yeo

Votes: 64 17.6%
  • Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, McLean, Macrae

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, but using that logic you end up at “the most important metal musician was Elvis”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In that case the old black bluesmen were the true most important metal musicians

Anyway Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Motorhead would still rate above the big 4 in importance in the genre granted I love all 8 bands

I don't think our 'big four' is potentially best in the league. I do however find it hard to actually say who the big 4 are. Cases can be made for nicnat, mcgovern, kennedy, shuey, yeo and gaff.

Not sure about Weller in GC's big 4. Sexton perhaps? Martin? Fiorini?
Also, Wines definitely makes port's 4 instead of Boak. Westhoff for Dixon too.
Hard to argue with Hawthorn's although I think Frawley is more important structurally than Sicily

Ports big 4 includes Jonas and Dixon ?

Jonas is one of our captains and important but not that important

Dixon isn’t in our best 4 players but comes pretty close in importance.

Wines, boak , Gray , Rockliff are prob the big 4.

On performance this year lycetts probably in that group over wines.

Westhoff comes very close to being in the group.

I don't think our 'big four' is potentially best in the league. I do however find it hard to actually say who the big 4 are. Cases can be made for nicnat, mcgovern, kennedy, shuey, yeo and gaff.

The idea you can have a big 4 without McGovern scares me a bit.

Last edited:
I feel for any player who has to miss games due to injuries, believe me I do. However if ever a supporter base ever deserved to feel the wrath of a heavily depleted side then it’s Richmond after the tripe their fans peddled out last year
The whole reason why some Richmond supporters were carrying on about the whole "pies have injuries" thing for example is because that is the only thing many Collingwood supporters used as a reason for their team's losses against us. With quite a few Collingwood supporters it was not "Richmond were better on the day". It was "had it not have been for our injuries we would have won". It evidently rubbed some Richmond fans the wrong way so they started saying "pies have injuries" a lot.

The phrase needs to be understood from the context that it was said in. Therefore, it had nothing to do with Richmond supporters enjoying a Collingwood injury run. It was about some Collingwood supporters being unwilling to see their team's losses as genuine even though the margins were 43 and 28 points

Ports big 4 includes Jonas and Dixon ?

Jonas is one of our captains and important but not that important

Dixon isn’t in our best 4 players but comes pretty close in importance.

Wines, boak , Gray , Rockliff are prob the big 4.

On performance this year lycetts probably in that group over wines.

Westhoff comes very close to being in the group.
Only reason I didn't consider Rockliff was due to him struggling last year. But if he keeps it up, he will definitely slot in nicely for the power.

Our big 4 is immense and has carried our team. Similar to West Coast 05

I agree to some extent, bit if you take out any teams four absolute best players, I dont think they remain a flag threat.

Would Pies win the flag without Grundy, Treloar, De Goey and Howe? Probably not.
Same as taking Kennedy, McGovern Shuey and Yeo from the Eagles, or Kelly, Dangerfield, Blicavs, Hawkins from the Cats.

You get the point.
We dont need effing blicavs. Henderson, taylor, stewart and one of kolo or henry is a very good backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness probably Grimes, Vlastuin, Nank and Caddy. Higgins, Rioli, Prestia just outside that group
Yeh not fantastic is it?

Lynch gets better every week though as he returns to fitness and adapts to a new team. Reckon hel be at a very high level by seasons end. 10 goals already playing nowhere near his full potential.

Yeh not fantastic is it?

Lynch gets better every week though as he returns to fitness and adapts to a new team. Reckon hel be at a very high level by seasons end. 10 goals already playing nowhere near his full potential.
I completely forgot about Lynch! He'd be in that convo too.
Grimes back this week is huge although Cotchin's absence will hurt. Dusty not so much given his subdued output so far. If Rockliff and Gray don't get up it's close to a 50/50 game imo

Hamling, Whitfield, T McDonald, Tom Lynch (Adl) Rampe, Billings, Kreuzer, Polec and Hurley are others I'd have in there

The whole reason why some Richmond supporters were carrying on about the whole "pies have injuries" thing for example is because that is the only thing many Collingwood supporters used as a reason for their team's losses against us. With quite a few Collingwood supporters it was not "Richmond were better on the day". It was "had it not have been for our injuries we would have won". It evidently rubbed some Richmond fans the wrong way so they started saying "pies have injuries" a lot.

The phrase needs to be understood from the context that it was said in. Therefore, it had nothing to do with Richmond supporters enjoying a Collingwood injury run. It was about some Collingwood supporters being unwilling to see their team's losses as genuine even though the margins were 43 and 28 points
I think you’ll find the absolute majority of us were challenging the blatant refusal from Richmond supporters that men down on the bench in both games could have played a part in being ran over the top of late in the games, rather than blaming the losses directly on the injuries.

You lot wouldn’t want to be using injuries as any sort of excuse this year after that carry on, that’s for sure.

The whole point of the 'Big 4' was about building a team around a spine of players ie. 1 Def, 2 Mids (or 1 Mid 1 Ruck), and 1 Fwd. In that context you can't just lob 4 midfielders in and say look at our big 4 (cox kerr cousins judd - even though they were all guns). Big 4 is about awesome players spread across the ground in key positions. Typically most team fall down in one of 2 areas. Using Pies as an example, their best 4 would be DeGoey, Treloar, Beams?, and...Darcy Moore? It's just a comparative exercise but there needs to be some ground rules.

If GWS can keep those 4 together, they’ll be unstoppable over the next 5 years.
:rolleyes:Not this again.

In 5 years time Ward and Davis are likely to be gone. Heater definitely will be and a lot of guys will be past their prime. Some 30 y/o players are fine and some are in decline.

The likes of Sam Taylor, Josh Kelly, Brent Daniels, Aiden Bonar might step up, along with last year's draftees. We'll have to wait and see though.

And I think that's the point to take away from this exercise. Richmond's top 4 players hasn't changed in 5 seasons. It's a 5 time AA chb, 2 time Coleman medalist, and 2 brownlow medalists. It's our entire leadership group.

Richmond may have the best group of 4 players in the competition but it falls away quickly after that. No.5 would be Tom Lynch, no.6 is ???

For west coast I would say it's McGovern, NicNat, JK, and Gaff - but the beauty of West Coast is that they had the players to overcome missing 2 of them in last year's Grand final.

Back