Which team is closer to playing in finals - Carlton, Gold Coast or St Kilda?

Which team do you think has the better list moving forward?

• Carlton

Votes: 245 57.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 138 32.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

you are mistaking hype over actual talent .... this is the issue St Kilda has had you can have all the best rated kids in the land but if you develop them poorly they will never reach their potential ... going off the most recent record Carlton are as bad if not worse at developing players past that highly rated into that actually highly skilled players ... your obsession with former GWS players who look unlikely to do anything is going to hurt you long term
this is funny because probably the only good midfielder the saints have signed from another side was a 'GWS reject' as everyone refers to them.

Daisy himself has proven he is a top5 performer in a premiership team.

He battled injuries himself at Carlton finally has a decent year and finishes top 5 in BnF again.

Sure Carlton fans hope their glut of kids can come on...but heading into 2019 guys like Simpson, E.Curnow, Murphy, Kroozer and Daisy are their proven best players.

Guys like Setterfield, Kennedy are more likely to be the next O’Rourke than actually catch up to Daisy.

But it is fun to talk up your kids, as they offer hope and potential.
best and fairest standings are more about durability than quality. daisy was most certainly in carlton's top 5 most durable players in 2018 which pretty much says everything you need to know about carlton's 2018 season

It's not hard to develop promising kids into good, solid contributors. Your whole team is full of them. Ours will come as they hit the right age bracket.

What is difficult (where we agree) is that it's hard to turn those young promising players into actual star talent. This is where unfortunately it has gone wrong for the Saints, despite all the young picks not one have turned into a legitimate star.
theres still time ... plus if our recent history is anything to go by having the stars is great but you also need the support around them to actually get the flag .. we had stars in the 2004 to 2010 period but with the stars not having the quality around them we fell short ...
time will tell how our sides will go but if you think its just going to happen with your players as the get older then i think you are in for a rude shock just having the hyped up "promissing List" doesnt mean it transfers into the strong list ... remember at one stage people at carlton we excited at the prospect of Bootsma being a star ...

this is funny because probably the only good midfielder the saints have signed from another side was a 'GWS reject' as everyone refers to them.
thats the point ... we went for quality ... you go for quantity ... the guys we have brought into our club from GWS have become best 22 players of all the GWS players you have brought in how many have made an impact ?

best and fairest standings are more about durability than quality. daisy was most certainly in carlton's top 5 most durable players in 2018 which pretty much says everything you need to know about carlton's 2018 season
so then why name it BEST and fairest ?? shouldnt it be called Most Durable and Fairest ???

Quantity is what you have done lol. We have Cripps, Curnow and Docherty. Who do you have of that ilk?
im talking about who you picked from GWS ... instead of getting quality you have just taken every reject you could get your hands on ... and from that you have picked how many duds from GWS scraps ?? we have taken two players from GWS and both are best 22 players one has kicked 50goals in a season and the other is looking likely to be an All Australian midfielder ...
hows Mark Whiley, Kristian Jaksch, Liam Sumner, Jed Lamb and Rhys Palmer working out for you ?
you did well with the draft in Cripps hes a star
Docherty has had one great year and is coming off an ACL so lets see what comes back
Curnow is a great player for you

you are mistaking hype over actual talent .... this is the issue St Kilda has had you can have all the best rated kids in the land but if you develop them poorly they will never reach their potential ... going off the most recent record Carlton are as bad if not worse at developing players past that highly rated into that actually highly skilled players ... your obsession with former GWS players who look unlikely to do anything is going to hurt you long term
Um, your issues have more to do with recruiting a number of players who are the same pace, the same size, and about the same quality of disposal. You have a complete lack of variety, and you cannot switch from your plan A to a possession gameplan, because you lack the list to do it.

You need to improve the quality of plan A, whilst obtaining a few players that provide that spark of difference. Hartung was one you could've grabbed last year. You need some better kicks around the ground (Shane Savage alone ain't going to cut it) and you need to improve your clearance quality rather than amount, something that you'll do if Ratts is your midfield coach. And you really, really need to get your list up and confident, because in no other side is there a greater difference between your best (kicking 15 goals to 1 and blowing Richmond out of the water in their premiership year) and your worst (I'll let you decide when that was).

Didn’t SPP play every game?

Why didn’t he figure in the Blues top 10 in BnF?

I assume you mean Sam Petrevski Seton?

Probably the same reasons why Brayden Sier, Callum Brown, Josh Daicos and Jaiden Stephenson didn't figure in Collingwood's

Something like........he was a second year player coming off a limited pre-season just making his way in the game.
Was a great effort to play the amount of games that he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit - Daisy had a good year yet will always be a whipping boy no matter how well he plays due to the contact that got him to Carlton.

Do you even understand our voting process at Carlton for the B&F?

im talking about who you picked from GWS ... instead of getting quality you have just taken every reject you could get your hands on ... and from that you have picked how many duds from GWS scraps ?? we have taken two players from GWS and both are best 22 players one has kicked 50goals in a season and the other is looking likely to be an All Australian midfielder ...
hows Mark Whiley, Kristian Jaksch, Liam Sumner, Jed Lamb and Rhys Palmer working out for you ?
Docherty has had one great year and is coming off an ACL so lets see what comes back
Steele wouldn't make a 5th AA team.

Hey man I'm not even saying you've done anything wrong. We're projecting forward not taking a pissing contest who has screwed up more.

The Jaksch trade was a mistake - the others I can't be bothered debating at this point in time.

But regardless, we're talking about what we have on our lists at the moment.

We have 3 stars (you can debate Doch if you want). And that forms the core of our rebuild.

All I'm saying is Saints have been unlucky, all your draft picks have turned out solid, but no legitimate stars. That is down to bad luck as I thought Billings would be an absolute jetster. Instead he has become a jester.

I mean, Carlisle is by far out best defender and one of our better players, and from the same trade we got Gresham who's our best young talent so that comment doesn't make much sense. I don't even want to think about how much worse off we'd be with Aaron Francis instead of those two.
At the time of the trade you don't have that knowledge. All you know is that it's Pick 6. But, you can't justify the trade by what we know now (unless you have a time-machine). Francis was who Essendon picked at 6 after the trade, but you can't have known that either. Who knows? You may have picked Charlie Curnow?

Honestly think whilst they were beyond garbage this year and I don't see them finishing outside bottom 4 next year Carlton will improve and improve very quickly. All their kids will hit the 50 game mark in a couple years, I could honestly see them having a Melbourne 2016-esque season in 2020.

Carlton/Gold Coast have potential to be two of the worst fielded AFL teams of all time next year.

You think we'll be worse in 2019 than we were in 2018?

Can't see it happening.

your club voted him in your top 5 ..... thats not my assesment of him .. i personlly think he is shithouse and sets the poor example to the rest of your team the way he carrys on after kicking a goal when you are still a long way behind .... but your team voted him top 5 .. not me , not the AFL your team did that so maybe look at that ...

He sets a great example actually with the effort he gives. Daisy can be criticized for a lot of things but his effort and the example he sets for the kids aren't one of them. Always gives everything he's got.

As for looking at the B&F results, we've already been over that. I did look at them, but I also looked beyond to find a reason why the results were as they were. You've done nothing of the sort and it's laughable.

remember at one stage people at carlton we excited at the prospect of Bootsma being a star ...

And there we have it.

Always love when a troll outs themselves so readily. Make things very easy.

I'm not sure why you're going down this path.

You've already shown yourself incapable of looking deeper into things, are we to really expect you to come to an understanding of why we went down that path?

You're giving yourself far too much credit. And embarrassing yourself along the way by suggesting Jack Steele is a likely AA midfielder. Please.

All are gone. What's that got to do with how we'll go in 2019 and beyond?

Whiley was delisted at the end of 2016. Should we point to Tom Curren and Josh Saunders as reasons why St Kilda might be poor in 2019? I mean come on...

St Kilda had a woeful year and i can get how its really easy to see us as a team that will continue to be s**t into 2019.. but something to factor ...
while injurys are all part and parcel of the AFL when you are a club like St Kilda covering those injurys can become near on impossible WCE lost its number one ruck for the season, they lost their main key foward for a large chunk of the season and then lost a key midfielder late in the year but they had the players across the side to cover that ... for St Kilda when we lost Josh Bruce, Dylan Roberton, Koby Stevens that put a big hole in our team that we struggled to fill (especially after retiring Riewoldt and Montagna) we then brought in the younger guys to give them their shot guys like Ben Long & Josh Battle and while young they showed a fair bit before they too got injured, our rucks while quiet possibly the worst combo in the comp were still vitally important so when we lost both of them we were screwed so we ran with Acres in the ruck (til he broke down) Steele in the ruck, brought in a rookie Marshall before finally giving the forgoten rookie Peirce a go (im talking 4th string ruckman) ... the saints dont bat deep with our list so when we lost players it hit hard and we lost the players we could least afford to lose ... so we were woeful all year
our fixture due to the previous two (reasonably injury free) years was fairly tough from the start but once it got deep in the year it got tougher and tougher...

the good thing is we have 2019 we should have a softer draw , hopefully a healthier playing list and we should go much better than last year showed us to be ...
if we're going to make injuries an excuse for our pathetic efforts in 2018 carlton had it much worse.

St.Kilda's list is diabolically shithouse.
It really dosent have anything to do with injuries.
Those players mentioned injured last year are bog average plodders anyway.

Back