Which team is closer to playing in finals - Carlton, Gold Coast or St Kilda?

Which team do you think has the better list moving forward?

• Carlton

Votes: 245 57.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 138 32.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey man I'm not even saying you've done anything wrong. We're projecting forward not taking a pissing contest who has screwed up more.

The Jaksch trade was a mistake - the others I can't be bothered debating at this point in time.

But regardless, we're talking about what we have on our lists at the moment.

We have 3 stars (you can debate Doch if you want). And that forms the core of our rebuild.

All I'm saying is Saints have been unlucky, all your draft picks have turned out solid, but no legitimate stars. That is down to bad luck as I thought Billings would be an absolute jetster. Instead he has become a jester.
maybe bolton just shouldve played jaksch?

I would have thought Carlton pretty easily since the other two are still going backwards.

What year before any of them make the finals? :rainbow:

Please explain how Carlton have shown they aren't going backwards? Or are yku just assuming they cant possibly do worse than last year?

I dont think gold coast should even be in this poll. Took them 8 years and there highest rank on a ladder is 12th.

Translation: I cannot explain it using anything but 'potential' and hypotheticals so I'm going to make it seem like its all so very obvious.

Carlton haven't taken a demonstrable step forward yet.
You are a hater...and in the minority if you read through the rest of this thread.

First trade period in 3 years that we haven't just wholesale traded out experience for draft picks and young players.

First trade period in 3 years that we've brought in aquality senior player that we actually pay significant draft picks for.

As I said, use your brain.

Please explain how Carlton have shown they aren't going backwards?

In terms of onfield performance, Carlton went backwards from the last game of 2017 to now, that’s unarguable. Less quantifiable though is the ground made in building a list for the future, over that time adding Dow, O’Brien, Kennedy, McGovern, Setterfield and soon likely Walsh.

I understand that for some it’s only going to matter once it translates into onfield rusults, but I guess for those of us with more of a vested interest in the club’s future, we see that young group as having a bit of talent, so it’s hard to see their acquisition as the club going backwards.

Surely you wouldn’t begrudge us that?

Last edited:
You are a hater...and in the minority if you read through the rest of this thread.

First trade period in 3 years that we haven't just wholesale traded out experience for draft picks and young players.

First trade period in 3 years that we've brought in aquality senior player that we actually pay significant draft picks for.

As I said, use your brain.

I deal in facts not hope and speculation. As with any trade period it is impossible to judge until the next year. Carlton are coming off one of their worst seasons in history and you, despite your trade period having no opportunity to play any games except on paper, presume to lecture others that the club has somehow gone forward and what? Deserves respect? Not until you actually get results. You cling to desparate hope without actually making any demonstrable point that has any bearing prior to nextyear.

Carlton have not gone an inch forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of onfield performance, Carlton went backwards from the last game of 2017 to now, that’s unarguable. Less quantifiable though is the ground made in building a list for the future, over that time adding Dow, O’Brien, Kennedy, McGovern, Setterfield and soon likely Walsh.

I understand that for some it’s only going to matter once it translates into onfield rusults, but I guess for those of us with more of a vested interest in the club’s future, we see that young group as having a bit of talent, so it’s hard to see their acquisition as the club going backwards.

Surely you wouldn’t begrudge us that?

I wouldn't begrudge people like you who can see you are still a basketcase right now and are looking for small wins.

But for those like juddernaut08 who have their head in the sand I absolutely would not allow him to sprout any notion that Carlton have gone forward before they show something in real life and not just on paper. He is a blight on the rest of you.

I wouldn't begrudge people like you who can see you are still a basketcase right now and are looking for small wins.

But for those like juddernaut08 who have their head in the sand I absolutely would not allow him to sprout any notion that Carlton have gone forward before they show something in real life and not just on paper. He is a blight on the rest of you.
You've really bullcrapped your way through here.

You stated that you think Carlton are still going backwards.

I called you out.

Now you're claiming I said "we have already gone forward".

You're a sad, bitter troll. You can't even accurately recall what you have said, let alone what you think others have said.

Move on chump.

I think St Kilda will fly up the ladder in the next couple of years.

Their on-field list is a bit vanilla but will improve in time. Their off-field pickups this year have been A+ though. Finally they have learnt the value of building a club from the top-down.

A basketcase by my definition would yet to be on the path out of their adversity. At the end of Malthouse’s tenure, it’s fair to say Carlton were a basket case. I don’t see it that way now. If they keep doing what they’ve been doing the last few years, they’ll be just fine.

Getting those players in isn’t a “small win” either. In the long run, it’s likely be a bigger win than an extra game or two in 2018 would be. It’s all perspective I guess.

You've really bullcrapped your way through here.

You stated that you think Carlton are still going backwards.

I called you out.

Now you're claiming I said "we have already gone forward".

You're a sad, bitter troll. You can't even accurately recall what you have said, let alone what you think others have said.

Move on chump.

You are coming off your worst season, thats called going backwards. You haven't demonstrated how that isnt the case.

A basketcase by my definition would yet to be on the path out of their adversity. At the end of Malthouse’s tenure, it’s fair to say Carlton were a basket case. I don’t see it that way now. If they keep doing what they’ve been doing the last few years, they’ll be just fine.

Getting those players in isn’t a “small win” either. In the long run, it’s likely be a bigger win than an extra game or two in 2018 would be. It’s all perspective I guess.

Yet without actual form and results that's pure speculation, what ifs and hypothetical. If 2 wins in an advanced stage of a rebuild isnt a basketcase Im not sure what is given there isnt much worse they could do.

Just because you traded in a couple of decent players doesnt automatically mean they will be used effectively or retain their form.

You are coming off your worst season, thats called going backwards. You haven't demonstrated how that isnt the case.
We went backwards in the 2018 season. We're not "still going backwards", as our trade period was positive, we're not losing any experience, and each of our kids are closer to the prime age bracket.

If you reverse a car, when you start going forward again, you're not "still going backwards".

We went backwards in the 2018 season. We're not "still going backwards", as our trade period was positive, we're not losing any experience, and each of our kids are closer to the prime age bracket.

If you reverse a car, when you start going forward again, you're not "still going backwards".
But you haven't started to go forward yet, you have just put it in forward gear, but the momentum of the hill may still take you further back.

Your trade period wont be judged until the end of next season. you are so clueless.

gold coast

carlton will be bottom 4 for the next decade or so and st kilda will get up to around 9th but not play finals before gold coast

Back