Which team is closer to playing in finals - Carlton, Gold Coast or St Kilda?

Which team do you think has the better list moving forward?

• Carlton

Votes: 245 57.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 138 32.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet without actual form and results that's pure speculation, what ifs and hypothetical.

As I said, for some it won’t matter until onfield results are on the board. For others, they’ll look at the list changes and see forward momentum. It would be arrogant of either perspective to claim theirs as the only one or the correct one while dismissing the other.

im talking about who you picked from GWS ... instead of getting quality you have just taken every reject you could get your hands on ... and from that you have picked how many duds from GWS scraps ?? we have taken two players from GWS and both are best 22 players one has kicked 50goals in a season and the other is looking likely to be an All Australian midfielder ...
hows Mark Whiley, Kristian Jaksch, Liam Sumner, Jed Lamb and Rhys Palmer working out for you ?
you did well with the draft in Cripps hes a star
Docherty has had one great year and is coming off an ACL so lets see what comes back
Curnow is a great player for you

Jakesh and Whiley trade done with the pre sos/bolts regime was bad.

The rest you mention we got for basically nothing (essentially pick 70+) so we have had plenty of top picks the last 3 years.

Few salary dumps on your list as well, which enabled us to get main targets (Plowman and Marchbank) cheaper.

The way people go oh you would think we just trade all our picks for randoms from GWS.

I'm interested in the dynamics in list builds, so I need an astute Carlton supporter to help me out. When did the current Carlton list rebuild really start ? What year ?

Melbourne are on their third since 2007. The first two failed miserably. The current one started at the 2013 draft. Roos walked in a few weeks before the 2013 draft. Even then he made mistakes by recruiting blokes like Lamumba and Bugg, and trading pick 2 for Tyson and pick 9 (not all Melbourne supporters will agree it was a mistake).

I think I read recently that David King said it's a mistake to say Carlton's current rebuild started in Bolton's first year. I believe he said 2018 was the second year of the rebuild and not the third as most consider it to be. In which case, what was Bolton doing in year one ?

I'm interested in the dynamics in list builds, so I need an astute Carlton supporter to help me out. When did the current Carlton list rebuild really start ? What year ?

Melbourne are on their third since 2007. The first two failed miserably. The current one started at the 2013 draft. Roos walked in a few weeks before the 2013 draft. Even then he made mistakes by recruiting blokes like Lamumba and Bugg, and trading pick 2 for Tyson and pick 9 (not all Melbourne supporters will agree it was a mistake).

I think I read recently that David King said it's a mistake to say Carlton's current rebuild started in Bolton's first year. I believe he said 2018 was the second year of the rebuild and not the third as most consider it to be. In which case, what was Bolton doing in year one ?

Started at the end of 2015 with Bolton and Silvagni on board.

Don't listen to David King. He's a complete and utter moron.

You resort to name calling and fail to address the other two points.

Our kids are another year closer to their prime.

We lose no-one of note.

You are a bitter, sad troll. Move on chump. You've been found out.

The only name calling is from yourself. Your opinions are delusional

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints can make it this year if Hannebery can get some of his running power back or if Billings finally becomes that A grade half forward they’ve wanted . They’ve got intercept and rebound off heir backline, they’ve propped up their forward stocks getting Kent in. Kent Lonie Long a decent mosquito fleet. Plenty of options for talls, then you’ve got some tricky guys like Acres Gresham Billings to go through there too.
At their best too they ran us off the park despite Gawn having one of the games of the season with countless contested marks. 2 point margin flattered us; they exposed our slow backline, our lazy forward line and our poor two way running. Their midfield didn’t perform the best that day but they get Hannebery to prop that up as well as pick 4, Clark and Coffield. I don’t think Carlton or Gold Coast had a performance as impressive as that in 2018.

Saints can make it this year if Hannebery can get some of his running power back or if Billings finally becomes that A grade half forward they’ve wanted . They’ve got intercept and rebound off heir backline, they’ve propped up their forward stocks getting Kent in. Kent Lonie Long a decent mosquito fleet. Plenty of options for talls, then you’ve got some tricky guys like Acres Gresham Billings to go through there too.
At their best too they ran us off the park despite Gawn having one of the games of the season with countless contested marks. 2 point margin flattered us; they exposed our slow backline, our lazy forward line and our poor two way running. Their midfield didn’t perform the best that day but they get Hannebery to prop that up as well as pick 4, Clark and Coffield. I don’t think Carlton or Gold Coast had a performance as impressive as that in 2018.
Haha real talk.

But seriously that match gave me hope for next year.

no one knows. lets be honest. the only thing that anyone knows is the suns are nearly starting again.... carlton could have 3 or 4 players go bang next year and saints could have 6 to 8 pull their finger out

St Kilda on face value have a very ordinary 22 however there are players on there who we know have lots of talent to dig up somewhere. I’m talking
Billings
McCartin
Bruce
Lonie
Acres
Newnes

They can definitely turn it around
FMD, how could you miss Gresham out?
He looks a beauty. Best developed of their younger guys last year.
Billings needs to keep up with him and McCartin still could easily develop into an A grader over next couple of years. They are far from totally stuffed but certainly got to get more A graders in for long term.

Rebuilds consist of several youngsters playing and growing together over 50 games. We have done that. New starting 22 additions to the team over 2018 is Docherty, McGovern, Setterfield, Fasolo and Walsh. Kreuzer, Murphy, Thomas and Simpson need to stay on the park for the entire season.

But the core youngsters under 25 - Cripps, Docherty, Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie, Williamson, Setterfield, Kennedy, Dow, Walsh, Obrien, SPS, Fisher, Cunningham, Curnow, McGovern, McKay, Kerr, TDK is as good as it gets. I'm naturally bullish not because of the strategy behind building the list but seeing their raw talent first hand. Carlton hasn't had a talented young squad like this since the 80s

Last edited:
Rebuilds consist of several youngsters playing and growing together over 50 games. We have done that. New starting 22 additions to the team over 2018 is Docherty, McGovern, Setterfield, Fasolo and Walsh. Kreuzer, Murphy, Thomas and Simpson need to stay on the park for the entire season.

But the core youngsters under 25 - Cripps, Docherty, Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie, Williamson, Cripps, Setterfield, Kennedy, Dow, Walsh, Obrien, SPS, Fisher, Cunningham, Curnow, McGovern, McKay, Kerr, TDK is as good as it gets. I'm naturally bullish not because of the strategy behind building the list but seeing their raw talent first hand. Carlton hasn't had a talented young squad like this since the 80s

Blues in a good place, just need consecutive games together. 50-100 together and will see big difference.

Gold Coast not even at the starting gate and St Kildas list, the least said the best.

gold coast

carlton will be bottom 4 for the next decade or so and st kilda will get up to around 9th but not play finals before gold coast

How can you say Suns list is better than Blues? Explain please

Blues Suns StK all play each other twice in 2019, will be good to see how each club progresses

Back