Which team is in most trouble age wise - 2017 edition

Which team is in the most trouble age wise?

• Adelaide

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 10 1.6%
  • Carlton

Votes: 22 3.6%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon

Votes: 21 3.4%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 135 22.0%
  • Geelong

Votes: 71 11.6%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • GWS

Votes: 11 1.8%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 200 32.6%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 144 23.5%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • Richmond

Votes: 25 4.1%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • Sydney

Votes: 29 4.7%
  • West Coast

Votes: 125 20.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 10 1.6%

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I did this thread the last 2 years but I thought I would do it again this year

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...n-more-trouble-age-wise-2016-edition.1116717/

For the purpose of this thread I am including anyone on a teams list that is over the age of 29 right now.

So which teams do you think are in the most trouble with how many players are approaching retirement age, and for your own clubs, how good a position do you think your club is in to replace these players?

Fremantle (8)
(Sandilands, Johnson, Mundy, Griffin, Dawson, Pearce, Ballantyne, Spurr)

West Coast (7)
(Mitchell, Petrie, Priddis, Butler, Lecras, Kennedy, Hurn)

Carlton (6)
(Simpson, Armfield, Thomas, Murphy, Silvagni, Rowe)

Essendon (6)
(Kelly, Watson, Goddard, Stanton, Baguley, Hocking)

GWS (6)
(Johnson, Shaw, Mzungu, Mumford, Griffen, Deledio)

Western Bulldogs (6)
(Murphy, Boyd, Morris, Picken, Cloke, Dickson)

Hawthorn (5)
(Burgoyne, Gibson, Hodge, Roughead, Puopolo)

Sydney (5)
(McVeigh, Grundy, Franklin, Tippett, Jack)

Gold Coast (4)
(Ablett, Rischitelli, Rosa, Barlow)

North Melbourne (4)
(Waite, Gibson, Thompson, Swallow)

St Kilda (4)
(Reiwoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Gilbert)

Collingwood (3)
(Wells, Dunn, Goldsack)

Adelaide (3)
(Thompson, Betts, Douglas)

Geelong (3)
(Longergan, Mackie, Taylor)

Melbourne (3)
(Vince, Lewis, Pederson)

Port Adelaide (2)
(Westoff, Monfries)

Brisbane (1)
(Martin)

Richmond (1)
(Maric)

Also when voting don't just take into account the names, but also the ability of each team to replace those names.

I put it in the poll so everyone gets 3 choices.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I think it's still North. Waite the #1 KPF and BB yet to prove himself. Thommo a major backline cog and Gibson critical to their midfield structure. The most replaceable is Spitta but he's also captain.

Freo are at a generational shift point but the only one out of that group that is utterly irreplaceable is Sandi.

Hawthorn and St Kilda still questionable.

Also RUNVS Patfull and Malceski are retired.

Finally, for Melbourne, all of Vince, Lewis and Pedo are certainly replaceable. Lewis is the definition of a luxury. Vince was borderline 22 come end of 2016, and Pedersen is about to be replaced by Weideman anyway.

Last edited:
Didn't Malceski retire? Same with Patfull?
Patfull is still listed as a rookie for contract purposes by the Giants. Malceski has retired.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I went with Hawthorn, West Coast and an unpopular one, the Western Bulldogs - none of their groups are pretty and when they retire, they will leave large gaps in their respective lineups.

Hawthorn are pretty obvious - Roughead, Burgoyne and Gibson are massive, Hodge is still important, and Puopolo has always been a solid contributor. There are few players, if any at al who look like they can fill those gaps on their current list.

West Coast - if they fail to cover Mitchell and Priddis before they retire, their midfield is dead. They are also yet to draft a Kennedy heir so as it stands, they look like they'rei n trouble, and need to draft well to avoid a plunge. Butler and Hurn are soldiers who aren't impossible to replace but their presence will be missed, LeCras and Petrie don't offer too much though.

Western Bulldogs - yeah yeah I get they have the best under 25 list in the comp, but Murphy, Morris and Boyd are 34, 34 and again, 34 years old all of whom have injury niggles, especially the first two. All are very important to the Bulldogs structure and I fail to see any particular youngsters who can fill the gaps when they depart. Dickson is a marvelous forward who they will miss, however Boyd, Stringer and Crameri are there for the long term still. Picken is a very serviceable mid although replaceable. Cloke is the only one who doesn't offer much and should be replaced without too much fuss.

Err, ok. No wonder you guys took Dawes.
He's been better than Dawes. He's pretty much the big-body-to-keep-Weid-honest at this point. With both Weid and Hulett coming through Casey his position is going to be under threat all year. He'll probably play Round 1 but if Weid plays as well as last year and Pedo turns shite he's off to Casey and Weid takes the FF spot, allowing Hoges to do what everyone wants him to do - play true CHF.

Hawthorn's group in the 2016 thread was...
(Mitchell, Hodge, Gibson, Burgoyne and Lewis).

And as I wrote way back then...."I would think that there is zero chance Wright allows Hodge/Mitchell/Burger to wander off into retirement without having a solid crack at prying a Whitfield/O'meara/Wines-type or two from a rival club."

As it turns out he landed Tom Mitchell and O'Meara, while saying goodbye to Sam and Jordan.

It remains to be seen what changes are made at the end of this year, but it goes without saying that Wright and Clarkson are well aware of the need to regenerate the list as it moves forward - so lock away your 21-25yr olds.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Funnily enough I think it's still Norf. Waite the #1 KPF and BB yet to prove himself. Thommo a major backline cog and Gibson critical to their midfield structure. The most replaceable is Spitta but he's also captain.

Freo are at a generational shift point but the only one out of that group that is utterly irreplaceable is Sandi.

Hawthorn and St Kilda still questionable.

Also RUNVS Patfull and Malceski are retired.

Finally, for Melbourne, all of Vince, Lewis and Pedo are certainly replaceable. Lewis is the definition of a luxury. Vince was borderline 22 come end of 2016, and Pedersen is about to be replaced by Weideman anyway.
What does Brown have to do to prove himself?

Thommo dropped off 2 years ago. Tarrant runs the defense.

Swallow doesn't deserve a game based on last years form.

Gibson? lol

sonnywalters

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2014
Newcastle NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Old - Hawks - Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson are almost irreplaceable.
Young - Lions - KPPs still too young. Schache and Andrews have potential but are a while off still age wise.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I went with Hawthorn, West Coast and an unpopular one, the Western Bulldogs - none of their groups are pretty and when they retire, they will leave large gaps in their respective lineups.

Hawthorn are pretty obvious - Roughead, Burgoyne and Gibson are massive, Hodge is still important, and Puopolo has always been a solid contributor. There are few players, if any at al who look like they can fill those gaps on their current list.

West Coast - if they fail to cover Mitchell and Priddis before they retire, their midfield is dead. They are also yet to draft a Kennedy heir so as it stands, they look like they'rei n trouble, and need to draft well to avoid a plunge. Butler and Hurn are soldiers who aren't impossible to replace but their presence will be missed, LeCras and Petrie don't offer too much though.

Western Bulldogs - yeah yeah I get they have the best under 25 list in the comp, but Murphy, Morris and Boyd are 34, 34 and again, 34 years old all of whom have injury niggles, especially the first two. All are very important to the Bulldogs structure and I fail to see any particular youngsters who can fill the gaps when they depart. Dickson is a marvelous forward who they will miss, however Boyd, Stringer and Crameri are there for the long term still. Picken is a very serviceable mid although replaceable. Cloke is the only one who doesn't offer much and should be replaced without too much fuss.

Agree with your thoughts on the Dogs to an extent. I think Boyd and Morris will probably be the hardest to replace. We did ok without Murphy last year so replacing him shouldn't be too hard. The biggest issue for mine is that they all play in the same area of the ground and losing all 3 in the one year will see us go backwards a bit.

Funnily enough I think it's still Norf. Waite the #1 KPF and BB yet to prove himself. Thommo a major backline cog and Gibson critical to their midfield structure. The most replaceable is Spitta but he's also captain.

First off, it's North, read the forum rules before you get carded.

Brown not proven himself? Lol.

Thompson hasn't done s**t for 3 years, Tarrant and JMac run things back there.

Gibson is only critical because he provides outside spread, which we have drafted and traded for a fair bit of the last year or so.

Spitta is barely in the leadership group, let alone the fact he isn't captain or even vice captain.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Fremantle (8): I count 3 important players in Sandilands, Johnson and Mundy - the rest is really depth and good average players. So should be able to turn them over pretty easily.
(Sandilands, Johnson, Mundy, Griffin, Dawson, Pearce, Ballantyne, Spurr)

West Coast (7): Surprised they have this many. Petrie and Mitchell are probably 1 year stopovers maybe two for Mitchell. Priddis, Kennedy, Mitchell and Hurn are the important ones. Kennedy is irreplaceable but I reckon he will be around another 4 years.
(Mitchell, Petrie, Priddis, Butler, Lecras, Kennedy, Hurn)

Carlton (6): Only Simpson and Murphy are important. Simpson probably in his last year. Murphy still has years to go. Won't really have a big impact.
(Simpson, Armfield, Thomas, Murphy, Silvagni, Rowe)

Essendon (6): Watson the only really important one. The others are mostly solid best 22 players at this stage of their careers. Impact will be pretty small as they move these players on other than reducing depth. All will probably be gone within 2 years.
(Kelly, Watson, Goddard, Stanton, Baguley, Hocking)

GWS (6): Some really good players in there. Everyone except Mzungu are very talented players. Shaw and Mumford are probably the most important to the list. Of course we all know how deep their talent runs so nothing to worry about in the long term although they may end up contending 2 years, mini rebuild to lower top 8 the next then contending for a sustained period of time.
(Johnson, Shaw, Mzungu, Mumford, Griffen, Deledio)

Western Bulldogs (6): Some really handy types that they will miss but they'll be OK. Murphy, Boyd and Morris probably all in their last years. I'd assume Picken and Dickson will still have a few years left. Will be contending this year but their may be some question marks for 2018. We shall see.
(Murphy, Boyd, Morris, Picken, Cloke, Dickson)

Hawthorn (5): End of an era after last years moves and when these guys retire. You'd imagine Burgoyne, Gibson and Hodge would all be chances to retire at the end of the year. I hate to say it but we don't know Roughhead will go this year but his age isn't a real issue. A lot of people think 2017 will be their floor and they will bounce back. I reckon 2018 could be a lot worse for them.
(Burgoyne, Gibson, Hodge, Roughead, Puopolo)

Sydney (5): Some excellent players in this list. Mcveigh and Grundy probably in their last year. Franklin has many years to go. Tippett I assume has a few years left. Jack - I honestly don't know. Sydney's list will be pretty young in 2018. I think 2017 is their year to go for the flag.
(McVeigh, Grundy, Franklin, Tippett, Jack)

Gold Coast (4): Ablett the only player of importance here long term. If his shoulders hold up he could play for years. If they don't his magnificent career could end this year.
(Ablett, Rischitelli, Rosa, Barlow)

North Melbourne (4): All these players have been pretty good for North. Waite in his last year. Gibson and Thompson should be close to the end. Swallow still has years to go you would think. This list is miles shorter than it was this time last year. Will be playing a lot of untried and inexperienced kids over the next few years.
(Waite, Gibson, Thompson, Swallow)

St Kilda (4): Riewoldt and Montagna have been absolute stars for the Saints. I guess both to probably retire this year. The Saints list is ready to move on (although you can never truly replace stars for your club).
(Reiwoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Gilbert)

Collingwood (3): No impact.
(Wells, Dunn, Goldsack)

Adelaide (3): Thompson and Betts are really important still. Adelaide's midfield stocks look a bit thin after Thompson retires (probably this year). Betts should have 2-3 years left.
(Thompson, Betts, Douglas)

Geelong (3): They've all been great players for Geelong. Their defense will look very different in the coming years. Haven't followed them closely enough to know how far off retirement these guys are. Assume Taylor still has a few years left. Probably the end of them contending if they lose these 3 in addition to losing Enright at the end of last year.
(Longergan, Mackie, Taylor)

Melbourne (3): Minimal impact. Their list is all about their youngsters.
(Vince, Lewis, Pederson)

Port Adelaide (2): Minimal impact.
(Westoff, Monfries)

Brisbane (1): Only one player but he is very important to them at present. Assume he still has a fair bit left in the tank though.
(Martin)

Richmond (1): I'm pretty sure they can replace him without much hassle.
(Maric)

Hawthorn's group in the 2016 thread was...
(Mitchell, Hodge, Gibson, Burgoyne and Lewis).

And as I wrote way back then...."I would think that there is zero chance Wright allows Hodge/Mitchell/Burger to wander off into retirement without having a solid crack at prying a Whitfield/O'meara/Wines-type or two from a rival club."

As it turns out he landed Tom Mitchell and O'Meara, while saying goodbye to Sam and Jordan.

It remains to be seen what changes are made at the end of this year, but it goes without saying that Wright and Clarkson are well aware of the need to regererate the list as it moves forward.
I guess the question for mine Abasi is what now? I know every Hawthorn supporter and their dog has been talking about a 'big free agent' this year (read: Fyfe or Martin) but the catch is that both of them are restricted...and with what the Hawks gave up for O'Meara they now don't have the trade assets to land them if Freo or Richmond choose to match the offer.

For mine, it feels like Gibson, Hodge and Burgoyne are still crucial to the side structurally. It's going to take 2 of them, particularly Hodge, being replaced to convince me. Well, that and O'Meara getting through a season.

First off, it's North, read the forum rules before you get carded.

Brown not proven himself? Lol.

Thompson hasn't done s**t for 3 years, Tarrant and JMac run things back there.

Gibson is only critical because he provides outside spread, which we have drafted and traded for a fair bit of the last year or so.

Spitta is barely in the leadership group, let alone the fact he isn't captain or even vice captain.

Brown hasn't proven himself as the #1. You're kidding yourself if you think he has. He's been protected by Petrie and Waite his entire career. Even last year with Petrie almost completely useless he was still getting the #2 or #3 because everyone else was still worried about Petrie. He's unproven in that regard for sure. When Waite gets suspended or injured (yes, when, he has history, 2015 was an aberration) it'll be the test.

Thompson is still the #2 KPD. Macmillan is far too short to be a true KPD. Fantastic rebounding player and great as a third defender but he gives up 5-6cm to a guy like Hogan who isn't even that tall for a KPF. Sides with multiple tall marking forwards - GWS, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, St Kilda to name some off the top of my head - will destroy that backline as they'll just kick to the guy who's on the shorter man.

That's exactly why Gibson is critical and the interesting part about your 'outside spread' is how it hasn't come on. North without Harvey and Wells look totally one-paced on paper and despite the drafting and trading it'll take time for it to come together.

And I didn't realise Spitta had handed over the captaincy. I agree he's the least critical of the group there.

For the purpose of this thread I am including anyone on a teams list that is over the age of 29 right now.

Why 29?? That is hardly old!

Talk players over 32 with maybe 1 or 2 years at most left of footy at AFL level and you will get a better gauge IMO.

29 just seems odd and a very selective age for whatever age for whatever reasons and also add into the fact what impact the said players have their team like how you have included Silvagni for us and he will be lucky to play 10 games and will be a mentor in the 2nds for young defending kids.

Why 29?? That is hardly old!

Talk players over 32 with maybe 1 or 2 years at most left of footy at AFL level and you will get a better gauge IMO.

29 just seems odd and a very selective age for whatever age for whatever reasons.
29 right now means 30 this year - 30 is when the twilight truly begins. Admittedly it's problematic because players seem to be playing longer, but generally once you hit 30 you'll be lucky to still be playing in 4 years.

Back