Which team is in the most trouble replacing its aging players? - 2019 edition

Which team is in the most trouble replacing its aging players?

• Adelaide

Votes: 44 8.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Geelong

Votes: 222 45.1%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • GWS

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 187 38.0%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 17 3.5%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 38 7.7%
  • Richmond

Votes: 16 3.3%
  • St Kilda

• Sydney

Votes: 107 21.7%
  • West Coast

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • Western Bulldogs

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even sure how this is a contest to be honest. Sydney by a mile. Midfielders can be replaced as you go. Sydney need to replace their whole spine. They have nothing in the way of KPP talent coming through and that is what will be departing

Sydneys demise will be the biggest story in the next decade. I predict we will have never seen anything like it in that they will be breaking records as far as losing goes.

Our spine isn't too bad as we have Melican and Aliir as Key Defenders and up forward we have McCartin who looks promising and Blakey who also looks promising. Not as good as Buddy obviously, but nothing to sneeze at either.

Our spine isn't too bad as we have Melican and Aliir as Key Defenders and up forward we have McCartin who looks promising and Blakey who also looks promising. Not as good as Buddy obviously, but nothing to sneeze at either.

Alir is already playing. Melican is a good fit but do wonder what happens when Grundy and Smith go. I cant see any like for like replacements for these two

Alir is already playing. Melican is a good fit but do wonder what happens when Grundy and Smith go. I cant see any like for like replacements for these two

Smith isn't the player he once was. I mean he is still going okay, but he isn't the AA small defender he used to be.

In terms of who replaces him, well we have a few options as the Swans have heavily recruited in the small/medium sized defenders in recent years.

As for Melican, he actually missed most of 2018 through injuries, so him and Aliir do seem like they would be a good fit, though Melican probably won't be quite as good as Grundy due to his age, and also needing to step up to take the big gorilla key forwards.

How do the Crows get the Hawks next year first pick ?

Instead of getting the hump and being sarcastic (with appalling grammar btw), how about arguing my point?

I hope Im wrong, most of my family are baggers and the novelty of them being s**t wore off a long time ago. Im sick of seeing the old man all glum whenever footy comes up and on top of hat, the blues have a lot of likable players.

I really hope they can climb up the ladder and with all that talent its going to happen, I just dont see it happening next year, the age profile of the list is awful. Trading next year's 1st to Adelaide was a mistake imo

Geez, Hawks fans are a sooky bunch on bf, they can't handle anyone having a negative opinion of their team

Meh. If you want to focus on the hysterical minority just so you can get in a cheap shot, well it says more about you than the people you're slagging off.

Hawks have concerns over a few older players but we have a good core of players in their prime, good enough to stop us completely falling off a cliff anyway.

The only ones we are about to lose that will actually hurt in the next couple of years are Burgoyne, Frawley, Rough and Stratton. Smith will go for years yet and Birchall has hardly kicked a ball in years.

We're not in too bad shape.

Talk of Sydney falling off a cliff is ludicrous too.

Not even sure how this is a contest to be honest. Sydney by a mile. Midfielders can be replaced as you go. Sydney need to replace their whole spine. They have nothing in the way of KPP talent coming through and that is what will be departing

Sydneys demise will be the biggest story in the next decade. I predict we will have never seen anything like it in that they will be breaking records as far as losing goes.

This is just daft. If anything, midfielders are the ones identified as youngsters and KPP players are the ones clubs can replace as they go.

Swans will be fine. Like my mob they are a step ahead of the game, wonderfully run club.

Meh. If you want to focus on the hysterical minority just so you can get in a cheap shot, well it says more about you than the people you're slagging off.

Hawks have concerns over a few older players but we have a good core of players in their prime, good enough to stop us completely falling off a cliff anyway.

The only ones we are about to lose that will actually hurt in the next couple of years are Burgoyne, Frawley, Rough and Stratton. Smith will go for years yet and Birchall has hardly kicked a ball in years.

We're not in too bad shape.

Talk of Sydney falling off a cliff is ludicrous too.

Hysterical yes, but minority ? Lol, no, even your mods are sooky and throw a tantrum if anyone dares to say anything negative

Hysterical yes, but minority ? Lol, no, even your mods are sooky and throw a tantrum if anyone dares to say anything negative

* that was quick!

Not sure about that but I guess Im going to notice it from my own brethren as much.

Its BigFooty man, everyone chucks a tantrum over everything negative. Its not exclusive to hawthorn, dont be a dick.

This is just daft. If anything, midfielders are the ones identified as youngsters and KPP players are the ones clubs can replace as they go.

Swans will be fine. Like my mob they are a step ahead of the game, wonderfully run club.

Would love a example of a team thats just replaced KPP players year on year end without any blip on the radar

...yeah ok...o_O

Fair enough, it was a lazy statement. My point was that mids are easier to identify at a 18 years old, it isn't the worst idea to just sit tight and try and trade the bigger guys in as they mature and show something, like a lot of clubs have done with rucks for ages.

Dismissing Sydney bc they dont have a spine is a bit lazy in today's climate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone actually voted for West Coast? We're fine. Four of our six young replacements are premiership players, Waterman played 16 games this season and Nelson 10
It's okay petal. People can vote for West Coast if they think West Coast will struggle as per the OP. No need to get your knickers in a knot.

Some clubs have that luxury. Others not so much.

Hawks seem to have the policy to use top picks on players who are developed and already showed something. Then hit the draft with later picks.

Fine if you operate from the Eastern footy states.

Eagles tend to build through the draft and trade when opportunities present themselves

Last edited:
Some clubs have that luxury. Others not so much.

Hawks seem to have the policy to use top picks on players who are developed and already showed something. Then hit the draft with later picks.

Fine if you operate from the Eastern footy states.

Eagles tend to build through the draft and trade when opportunities present themselves

No disagreement with most of that, but I've got no idea what being in an Eastern state has to do with your point..

Good thread. When free agency came in it gave the top teams a great avenue to replace players and stay up there. Future pick trading also allows clubs access to top talent. Now we have seen up and coming sides and even some lower sides adapt to this by using salary dump players and early picks to get into this market and clubs embracing trading early before free agency to get a greater return.

I think Geelong and Hawthorn have been poster clubs for having a player replacement program. Again this season both of these clubs have brought in good mature age talent. Hawthorn however I think have been very desperate to do so as they have a rapidly aging group of players who are still a part of their key core and it can be very challenging to keep up with this. They hada crack at some really good players this season. I think they know they are coming into a period of rebuilding soon and have built their midfield up which will help this process. They wanted Shiel to further build this area but were unable to get him.

Hawthorn I think have the biggest challenge because so many of those older players are really important players but they are also tall players. I think a time is coming when Hawthorn might find themselves a bit short and lacking talls. Talls take a longer to develop and the Hawks may have some restrictions with trading future picks so there are challenges coming their way. When the rebuilding period comes who knows but I feel Hawthorn are going to fall away quickly as their taller players do.

Sydney have a big challenge on their hands as their older group is large enough, key enough and are that little bit older. They haven't been so much replacing players with mature talent. I think a possible rebuilding period is coming there.

Cats haven't got an old list but the old ones are key players. Young ones will have to step up but there are questions over whether they are as good as the players they will be replacing. I think they Cats may find themselves lacking key players. I'm not sure if they will have future first round pick trading restrictions. I think they will have some work rebuilding their key midfielders in the coming seasons. Like Hawthorn they have a number of tall players who are getting very close to the end and when that happens I think they will drop.

Collingwood have a lot of older players but I don't think it will effect them too much yet as their in team depth is quite good and their midfield depth is good. I think a clean up of older players is coming and they are well placed to go hard trading future picks.

This is definitely a good period for player replacement. Use salary dumps, retire older players to open cap space and just bring in free agents. Now we are seeing those players traded a year earlier and lesser clubs joining the market and making it more competitive.

I think the pressure is on for these top sides who have an older group of core and tall players. The market is more competitive. There is a swing from top players to chose up and coming sides rather than aging top sides. Those up and comers have adapted their list and player payments/contracts to get these top players. I think these good old sides will do alright and replace some of their smaller players but run into issues replacing their talls. I don't think Geelong and Hawthorn have long there. I think Sydney have challenges but can rebuild a bit. Adelaide might come into some trouble at some stage too.

No disagreement with most of that, but I've got no idea what being in an Eastern state has to do with your point..

Just seem to be more players who are willing to move to Melbourne based clubs or clubs in the East. Avoid the travel factor and play in Melbourne. With a more active trade market destination clubs such as Hawthorn have more opportunity to trade in players than say WA clubs.

Having more clubs in Melbourne is obviously a factor in that. It is one reason why the Hawks can trade in required players each each year and use a different list methodology than say the Eagles or say Gold Coast.

So a more active market and more players to choose from.

Just seem to be more players who are willing to move to Melbourne based clubs or clubs in the East. Avoid the travel factor and play in Melbourne. With a more active trade market destination clubs such as Hawthorn have more opportunity to trade in players than say WA clubs.

Having more clubs in Melbourne is obviously a factor in that. It is one reason why the Hawks can trade in required players each each year and use a different list methodology than say the Eagles or say Gold Coast.

So a more active market and more players to choose from.

That is quite true. West Coast can't take advantage of the go home factor like a Melbourne club can as sure Western Australian players go home, but usually only 1 or 2 a year at best, and as a result West Coast (or Fremantle) would not be able to pick a go home player based on need like a Melbourne club can. West Coast can only take what they can get, and they can't address a specific requirement.

That is quite true. West Coast can't take advantage of the go home factor like a Melbourne club can as sure Western Australian players go home, but usually only 1 or 2 a year at best, and as a result West Coast (or Fremantle) would not be able to pick a go home player based on need like a Melbourne club can. West Coast can only take what they can get, and they can't address a specific requirement.
It's actually Freo who seem to actively target the ex West Australians more than WC. Although WC have certainly targeted mature age draftees from the WAFL.

How much of that is whichever WA club is on the front gets left to it by the other I'm not sure. We've had afewg9 to Freo in recent years but there was never a competition, although I think Lobb spoke to both.

Would love a example of a team thats just replaced KPP players year on year end without any blip on the radar

You're maybe not getting how the whole 'replacement' thing works. Aliir as a regular in the team makes him a replacement. Likewise Melican and McCartin. As a general rule teams like to promote players into their A team before giving them senior roles.

Hawthorn trying to stop the tide coming in .
Good luck with that ...
Quite possibly very true, but it seems that stopping the tide coming in is far easier than stopping it from going out...…..

Back