Which team is in the most trouble replacing its aging players? - 2020 edition

Which team is in the most trouble replacing its aging players?

• Adelaide

Votes: 54 12.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 49 11.4%
  • Essendon

Votes: 19 4.4%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Geelong

Votes: 221 51.3%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GWS

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 90 20.9%
  • Melbourne

• North Melbourne

Votes: 16 3.7%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • Richmond

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • St Kilda

• Sydney

Votes: 21 4.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 32 7.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Duncan, Stewart as well..

No fan of Geelong, but that post by that Pies fans is ill informed, arrogant crap.

Duncan and Stewart don't fit the age parameters of the thread.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Western Bulldogs (5)
Dickson 32.3, Suckling 31.5, Wood 30.3, Lloyd 29.9, Trengrove 29.1
Smith 19.0, Naughton 20.1, Richards 20.5, Young 21.0, Lipinski 21.5, Greene 22.0, Williams 22.2, Schache 22.4, English 22.4, Lynch 22.5 Dunkley 22.11

I might be biased, but we are in great shape. All of them are easily replaced and fringe players except Wood. Bont will take over captaincy in the next few years and a Richards/Young will take Wood's spot.

I might be biased, but we are in great shape. All of them are easily replaced and fringe players except Wood. Bont will take over captaincy in the next few years and a Richards/Young will take Wood's spot.
You are in a good spot
Probably the list I would want going forward

Defence I feel is the weak spot, don’t rate Keath
English in the ruck I’m not convinced either but everything else I rate

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond supporters are kidding themselves to think that their youth will replace the likes of Cotchin, Rance, Jack, Houli and Edwards. Their group of youngsters are overrated and ordinary. Once the oldies mentioned above drop off which is just around the corner for many of them (Cotchin is already showing it) the Tigers will struggle to make finals.

Dangerous times for Cats, Eagles and Pies.

Hawks are not in danger when it’s oldies call it quits. Most of the improvement towards the end of the year was on the back of its younger players and in the B&F 4 of the top 6 were 24yo and under.
Stack had probably the best 1st year I have ever seen at Richmond. Absolute gun because he does everything. Ross had 27 possessions in his game and looked very comfortable before he got injured. Bolton is a ripper. Balta has serious potential. Riley Collier Dawkings is a 193cm 90+kg quick mid who had a great VFL finals campaign. Promising ruck/forward in Coleman Jones coming through. Nothing over rated in that lot.
Replacing Riewoldt will take some doing because great key forwards are really hard to replace. Rance, well we did alright without him last year. Edwards looks like a Burgoyne who could play for years still. Cotchin had almost no influence last season due to injury. Out core list is still very well placed.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stack had probably the best 1st year I have ever seen at Richmond. Absolute gun because he does everything. Ross had 27 possessions in his game and looked very comfortable before he got injured. Bolton is a ripper. Balta has serious potential. Riley Collier Dawkings is a 193cm 90+kg quick mid who had a great VFL finals campaign. Promising ruck/forward in Coleman Jones coming through. Nothing over rated in that lot.
Replacing Riewoldt will take some doing because great key forwards are really hard to replace. Rance, well we did alright without him last year. Edwards looks like a Burgoyne who could play for years still. Cotchin had almost no influence last season due to injury. Out core list is still very well placed.

Stack absolute gun!!!! Kidding me. These guys haven’t set the world on fire in the Tigers B&F or amassed impressive stats compared to other youngsters across the comp. Put them in an ordinary side and they would be ordinary. Potential and ifs ......

Only time will tell but the quality senior core group at Richmond will be hard to replace. Bit like losing Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson, Lewis, Roughy all at once and Burgs isn’t the player he once was. Nothing lasts forever unfortunately.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Stack absolute gun!!!! Kidding me. These guys haven’t set the world on fire in the Tigers B&F or amassed impressive stats compared to other youngsters across the comp. Put them in an ordinary side and they would be ordinary. Potential and ifs ......

Only time will tell but the quality senior core group at Richmond will be hard to replace. Bit like losing Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson, Lewis, Roughy all at once and Burgs isn’t the player he once was. Nothing lasts forever unfortunately.
If you have the time, watch this video and tell me he isn't impressive. It's not about Richmond, it's about watching a kid who is has got so much pure football talent.

There are ore highlights in that 13 minutes than half the players have in their careers.

Carlton won’t have any problems, it’s odd that people selected them.

They definitely have some talented youth, but 5 of the top 10 in their best and fairest will be gone shortly. There’s a gap between their promising youth and their still contributing heavily older group.

Hawks are really looking woeful and to fall even further after their 'kissed on the dick' run 5 or so years ago. Looking dire.

At the end of 2020 Richmond will have an older list than Hawthorn. :$

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Port having all of Gray, Westhoff, Boak, Rockliff, Dixon, Hartlett and Ebert to replace in the not-too-distant-future is probably not ideal for them.

Have some excellent young talent coming through obviously, but that's the core of their side that's 29yo or older and it's not like they're in genuine premiership contention right now.

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
If you have the time, watch this video and tell me he isn't impressive. It's not about Richmond, it's about watching a kid who is has got so much pure football talent.

There are ore highlights in that 13 minutes than half the players have in their careers.

And we got him for absolutely nothing and that's what really pisses everybody off

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Richmond supporters are kidding themselves to think that their youth will replace the likes of Cotchin, Rance, Jack, Houli and Edwards. Their group of youngsters are overrated and ordinary. Once the oldies mentioned above drop off which is just around the corner for many of them (Cotchin is already showing it) the Tigers will struggle to make finals.

Dangerous times for Cats, Eagles and Pies.

Hawks are not in danger when it’s oldies call it quits. Most of the improvement towards the end of the year was on the back of its younger players and in the B&F 4 of the top 6 were 24yo and under.

I don't really share your concern about West Coast. The Eagles are certainly approaching a tipping point where they will need to transition from A graders Kennedy and Hurn to new, developing players who will have big shoes to fill, but the talent is there. We have deep draft stocks and have a lot of talented talls developing who are trying to break in to the squad. In fact, our concern is more about how do we currently fit all of our aging + developing players in to the one team.

West Coast (6)
Kennedy 32.4,
2020 might be his last season, but West Coast has been stockpiling talls since 2016 draft. We have Oscar Allen and Jarrod Brander who could play forward. They won't be a like for like replacement for JK who is a star, but at 27 (same age as Tom Lynch) Darling is starting to play his best football and should be able to take more of the load up forward.

Hurn 32.3,
Similar to JK. Our back six are pretty solid and we have Oscar Allen/Jarrod Brander who can play both forward and back + Josh Rotham.

Schofield 30.11,
Schofield has been in and out of the squad for the last few years and is not a guarantee to be in the teams starting 22. Played 12 + 10 games in AFL H&A season for the last two years respectively.

Jetta 30.7,
He'll be fine for another couple of years. Has perhaps lost half a step since coming over from Sydney but his role in HB is focussed more around his elite field kicking and ball use. Those aren't skills that deteriorate with age.

Naitanui 29.7,
If he can stay on the part for 15 games + finals it would be a big win for the club. If not, it's just more of the same thing as 2017, 2018, 2019.

Shuey 29.6
Mid field has Shuey/Yeo/Kelly/Gaff/Redden/Sheed. Our midfield is jacked. I don't have any concerns for shuey in 2020. Age may catch up with him 2021 and beyond. The club really needs to address midfield depth at the next couple of trade periods/drafts.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Once again, the rumours of our demise is greatly exaggerated.
Majority of our B&F top 10 were under 24. This was without our Brownlow medalist who isn't much older himself.

The competition for spots will be immense next season and will surprise rival supporters as a result.

We also slipped from the oldest side in the comp to 3rd but WITH Burgoyne still going around again.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Nah mate. It's about stats. Don't need to go to games, just read the data, tells you everything you need to know :)

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
This isn't as much of a big deal as it probably used to be- especially for the teams who won a flag or three recently- as you can now just go out and "buy players" to replace the good ones you lose to retirement, and the cap space they took up.

It's now easier than ever to do that, thanks to free agency, and the ability to trade future draft picks.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

13 minutes of highlights where most of it showed standard actions, what is expected from AFL players. 13 minutes that produced ZERO 2019 Brownlow votes! Hawks have a player similar age that played as a starting mid all year in the most combative part of the ground, week in week out up against the best your Martin’s, Dangerfield, Bont, Neale etc and won a B&F and 10 Brownlow votes. If Stack is an absolute gun Worpel must be god. Some Tigers fans need to take a big deep breath and start getting their hands off it.

Last edited:

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Could the op list the last 10 premiers and the number of over 29s and under 23s in the team?

facts are if you are on a list at 29, you are a well above average player

Facts? Ricky hensemm
13 minutes of highlights where most of it showed standard actions, what is expected from AFL players. 13 minutes that produced ZERO 2019 Brownlow votes! Hawks have a player similar age that played as a starting mid all year in the most combative part of the ground, week in week out up against the best your Martin’s, Dangerfield, Bont, Neale etc and won a B&F and 10 Brownlow votes. If Stack is an absolute gun Worpel must be god. Some Tigers fans need to take a big deep breath and start getting their hands off it.

Lol.. Grimes got his first brownlow vote this year and has never won a B and F after nearly 10 years, so he mistn’t be any good.

Worpel not even close to Stack. B and f in a struggling team doesnt mean much!

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Facts? Ricky hensemm

Lol.. Grimes got his first brownlow vote this year and has never won a B and F after nearly 10 years, so he mistn’t be any good.

Worpel not even close to Stack. B and f in a struggling team doesnt mean much!
If Hawks had Stack this year instead of Worpel they would have played finals. If Richmond didn’t have Stack they would not have won this years premiership 😂. He is that good!

If Hawks didn’t have Worpel especially after losing Tom before the season they probably would have ended up bottom 4.

Last edited:
Back