Which team is in the most trouble replacing its aging players? - 2020 edition

Which team is in the most trouble replacing its aging players?

• Adelaide

Votes: 54 12.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 49 11.4%
  • Essendon

Votes: 19 4.4%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Geelong

Votes: 221 51.3%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GWS

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 90 20.9%
  • Melbourne

• North Melbourne

Votes: 16 3.7%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • Richmond

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • St Kilda

• Sydney

Votes: 21 4.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 32 7.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If Hawks had Stack this year instead of Worpel they would have played finals. If Richmond didn’t have Stack they would not have won this years premiership 😂. He is that good!

poor hawks ....can;t face reality they aren't that relevant anymore. take out their 9.5k four game launceston members and suddenly all those numbers don;t look so rosy.

Stack is a gun and quoting b and F results from a struggling club isn;t relevant a half of the hawks team wouldn't get a game at the tigers....party's over guys!

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
poor hawks ....can;t face reality they aren't that relevant anymore. take out their 9.5k four game launceston members and suddenly all those numbers don;t look so rosy.

Stack is a gun and quoting b and F results from a struggling club isn;t relevant a half of the hawks team wouldn't get a game at the tigers....party's over guys!

If Stack is a gun there are 500 of them running around and if you take out Launceston members my dog, two cats, 6 fish and canary will start to get anxious.

Last edited:

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If Stack is a gun there are 500 of them running around and if you take out Launceston members my dog, two cats, 6 fish and canary will start to get anxious.

He is a gun... you clearly dont know what you are looking at.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Worpel and Stack are both gun kids. Anyone saying otherwise is blind.

In regards to the OP I would have said Geelong and Collingwood, as I'm not that familiar with most clubs age brackets, but looking at the lists it seems collingwood are better placed than I thought. I still think Geelong could be in a little trouble as there are no guarantees with the draft. But they are always thereabouts so their drop probably won't be too drastic.

I was worried about Richmond losing their older players, but after this year I am, like a lot of supporters, very confident in our youth. They showed a lot of good signs this year, and is the most confident I have ever been about our youth.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
13 minutes of highlights where most of it showed standard actions, what is expected from AFL players. 13 minutes that produced ZERO 2019 Brownlow votes! Hawks have a player similar age that played as a starting mid all year in the most combative part of the ground, week in week out up against the best your Martin’s, Dangerfield, Bont, Neale etc and won a B&F and 10 Brownlow votes. If Stack is an absolute gun Worpel must be god. Some Tigers fans need to take a big deep breath and start getting their hands off it.

Unfortunately due to the “big headedness” of some Tigers supporters lately, I now have a formula to use when assessing Tiger players :-

What ever a Tiger fan says about their players, divide by 2 and you are closer to their true worth.

Time for heads to be pulled in, Bulldogs & Eagles were able to do it after their premierships.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The irony is there but I was thinking the same thing. Something truly horrible went on for that team to not get another flag.

There's a thread on the Pies board that's debated around what could've been and maybe not have been for well over 200 pages. Everyone's aware, you don't win 20 games at nearly 170% and not be considered a dynasty possibility.

It's in the past though, I'm gonna let it go through to the keeper.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfortunately due to the “big headedness” of some Tigers supporters lately, I now have a formula to use when assessing Tiger players :-

What ever a Tiger fan says about their players, divide by 2 and you are closer to their true worth.

Time for heads to be pulled in, Bulldogs & Eagles were able to do it after their premierships.
That may be so, but if you watch the video you can't help but be impressed. We played a good deal of our season without may of our best players, and it players like Stack and Ross and a few others that stood up.
Also neutral supporters are claiming Stack to be something special, not just Richmond supporters. Every now and again one comes along that you know is going to be great.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Once again, the rumours of our demise is greatly exaggerated.
Majority of our B&F top 10 were under 24. This was without our Brownlow medalist who isn't much older himself.

The competition for spots will be immense next season and will surprise rival supporters as a result.

We also slipped from the oldest side in the comp to 3rd but WITH Burgoyne still going around again.
2 of you B&F top 10 were under 24.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Edit: 5 of the top 6 were 25 or under.
Which is a somewhat different thing to that guy claiming the majority of the top 10 were 23 or younger. I have literally no idea why people just make this stuff up.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
the vibe. Most of the top ten were not old by any measure
Other than the 50 percent that are 28 plus.

Look I don’t care. I don’t have a horse in this race and I don’t believe the lots of youth = most promising team myth. I’m just puzzled why the thread has so many hyper defensive supporters making up crap about the age of their players.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Other than the 50 percent that are 28 plus.

Look I don’t care. I don’t have a horse in this race and I don’t believe the lots of youth = most promising team myth. I’m just puzzled why the thread has so many hyper defensive supporters making up crap about the age of their players.

OK you are the pedantic one. Care to qualify that?

anyway i iterate my stance that in the main, players still on lists over 28 tend to be quality. The OP listed them. It ridiculed OPs own assertion somewhat. Most premiership teams have a higher average age. The average age of lists over recent five years is almost five years older than the previous decade. We have just had a draft with one of the lowest total draftees taken. All this points to a league less preoccupied with the age of its lists

as the recruitment scen has more options, the practices of the ‘rebuild through the draft’ are gone, but some posters post automatically taking that as the source of truth or starting point

geelong is the highest vote getter. How are they in trouble? Its eight years since their last flag and a whole lot of champions retired. The remains seem to be hawkins and selwood. Surely they arent harder to replace than the real drivers of their successful period? How come losing hawkins and selwood would cause them to go off a cliff when losing bartel chapman and a dozen other stars didnt?
while not as strong now, theyve hardly left top 4 and were minor premiers. I just dont see it. so they lost kelly, who wasnt even on a list 2 years ago, yet geelong did OK then.

just how can that be described as ‘in trouble’? Poll is really ‘which successful team do you most childishly hope will fail?’

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Im not saying richmond are in trouble age wise, but to say they are OK without their stars is over optimistic.

up till round 15 they occupied the same mid table slots 6-12 that is being used to prove hawthorns ‘medicrity’
A little selective. All our injuries came in that time. Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Nankervis, Lambert and a heap of others. At one stage we had about 6 players under 6 games in the side. Retirements do not work like that, you phase them in. All sides will take a battering when that happens.

Sure Richmond's best players are ageing and of course we will drop down when Rance, Riewoldt, Edwards, Cotchin and Houli are gone. You don't replace players overnight. But recruitment and natural improvement lessen that. It's a bit ironic that Edwards and Houli are included in Richmond's stars list, because just a few years ago they barely rated in many's eyes. But like most players, they improved as they got older.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
OK you are the pedantic one. Care to qualify that?

anyway i iterate my stance that in the main, players still on lists over 28 tend to be quality. The OP listed them. It ridiculed OPs own assertion somewhat. Most premiership teams have a higher average age. The average age of lists over recent five years is almost five years older than the previous decade. We have just had a draft with one of the lowest total draftees taken. All this points to a league less preoccupied with the age of its lists

as the recruitment scen has more options, the practices of the ‘rebuild through the draft’ are gone, but some posters post automatically taking that as the source of truth or starting point

geelong is the highest vote getter. How are they in trouble? Its eight years since their last flag and a whole lot of champions retired. The remains seem to be hawkins and selwood. Surely they arent harder to replace than the real drivers of their successful period? How come losing hawkins and selwood would cause them to go off a cliff when losing bartel chapman and a dozen other stars didnt?
while not as strong now, theyve hardly left top 4 and were minor premiers. I just dont see it. so they lost kelly, who wasnt even on a list 2 years ago, yet geelong did OK then.

just how can that be described as ‘in trouble’? Poll is really ‘which successful team do you most childishly hope will fail?’
TLDR

I’m hardly pedantic for suggesting some guy claiming the majority of your top ten are 23 or younger isn’t true.

If you’re not worried about the state of your list then great, but I can’t imagine what the wall of text above is in aid of.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
TLDR

I’m hardly pedantic for suggesting some guy claiming the majority of your top ten are 23 or younger isn’t true.

If you’re not worried about the state of your list then great, but I can’t imagine what the wall of text above is in aid of.

imagine that its a repudiation of the thread overall and several like it

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
A little selective. All our injuries came in that time. Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Nankervis, Lambert and a heap of others. At one stage we had about 6 players under 6 games in the side. Retirements do not work like that, you phase them in. All sides will take a battering when that happens.

Sure Richmond's best players are ageing and of course we will drop down when Rance, Riewoldt, Edwards, Cotchin and Houli are gone. You don't replace players overnight. But recruitment and natural improvement lessen that. It's a bit ironic that Edwards and Houli are included in Richmond's stars list, because just a few years ago they barely rated in many's eyes. But like most players, they improved as they got older.

Pessimistic raised a good point though. It is strange to see Tiger's in here saying that 2019 showed they can win without their older star players considering the period that they were all out coincided with the Tigers spluttering a bit in the period before the bye and were outside the 8 with a percentage below 100.

You're right in that that retirements don't all happen in one go, but Richmond have 4 players, Rance, Houli, Riewoldt and Cotchin who are important to their structure and closely grouped together by age. 2019 showed that the back six can be a great unit without Rance, so that would probably ease many tigers supporters about the idea of Rance potentially retiring when his contract is up in 2021.

I'm not that familiar with the Richmond list outside of their best 22. Who are the young players on their list that could step up in the next couple years to take over from Cotchin, Houli, Riewoldt and Rance over the medium term, or do you think that they could fill the gaps luring FA's over the next couple of years?

FWIW I don't think Richmonds age profile will have an impact on their 2020 season, looking beyond that though will be interesting to see how the list transitions to a new batch of players.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Has to be the Cats hands down. Seen their list the other day and all their decent players are 27+.

They used to be great and developing talent, same with Hawks and Swans. But the new crop don't seem to be looking like they'll turn into breakout superstars.

Will be interesting though as the likes of Geelong and North haven't had a stint at the bottom of the ladder for almost a lifetime.

Back