• Sydney

Votes: 44 3.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not trying to be troll but SDK is your best young player and this is his stats…
I don’t think any of them can be viewed as A graders yet tbh.

View attachment 1761517
You do realize he came runner up in the rising star medal in 2022 yes??

He has absolute massive upside. I don’t expect every young key position players trajectory to be linear either.

Also very silly to look at stats purely when one of those games was an early sub due to concussion, and another early out when he had a bone In his face fractured… then counting 3 games he played wearing a protective mask like phantom of the Oprah.. I think your getting the drift of why stats aren’t exactly your go to for this instance as a whole story period

Last edited:
As a reference this is Balta stats. Balta is clearly better than SDK and I’m sure cats supporters don’t rate Balta highly at all.

View attachment 1761518
I do rate him, who said I don’t?? I wouldn’t rate him youth anymore tho… 23 years old we often see AA’s and have even had brownlow medalists… and balta will be 24 by end of this year and six years in the system…which is why I said 22 and under. Each to their own and there is no set definition but that’s my logic and reason to why I say 22 and under as my cutoff.

I know you are trying to compare balta and dekoning but there is still a 16 month age gap between the two of them and
Balta has had two more years in the system for a total of six years… wouldn’t classify him youth while I still classify Sam dekoning as youth.

Oliver Henry is not in the top 430 players in the AFL by official rankings in 2023.

These guys are nothing you won't find at just about any club.
20 year old Ollie Henry has kicked more goals this year than any player on Richmond's list. He'd be winning his first Michael Roach medal if he was unlucky enough to be playing for the Tigers.

20 year old Ollie Henry has kicked more goals this year than any player on Richmond's list. He'd be winning his first Michael Roach medal if he was unlucky enough to be playing for the Tigers.

Lol, that wouldn't be hard given most of our goals have been scored by players who have missed loads of games or not played exclusively forward. Two of our mid-forwards have as many or more goals + goal assists per game as permanent forward Henry does. In fact about 50 players in the competition do.

You will forgive us if we hold off on declaring Oliver Henry an A Grader just for now. :)

Lol, that wouldn't be hard given most of our goals have been scored by players who have missed loads of games or not played exclusively forward. Two of our mid-forwards have as many or more goals + goal assists per game as permanent forward Henry does. In fact about 50 players in the competition do.

You will forgive us if we hold off on declaring Oliver Henry an A Grader just for now. :)
Ollie Henry has kicked more goals and is averaging more goals per game than Richmond's leading goal kicker Jack Riewoldt. I never said he's A grade yet but he's outperforming every Richmond forward currently at 20 years of age. Not bad at all.

WC list is putrid and will be for years
It’s shithouse right now, but I don’t think it’s going to take that long to fix. They’ve got a lot of upside in their young players (Long, Hough, Hewett, Ginbey, Chesser, Maric), some of their talls are really starting to perform (Allen is elite, Williams has improved out of sight), and they’re due to pick up a supposedly generational player this year. Personally I think they’re out of the bottom 4 as soon as next year if their conditioning is addressed, although more likely 2025/2026

It’s shithouse right now, but I don’t think it’s going to take that long to fix. They’ve got a lot of upside in their young players (Long, Hough, Hewett, Ginbey, Chesser, Maric), some of their talls are really starting to perform (Allen is elite, Williams has improved out of sight), and they’re due to pick up a supposedly generational player this year. Personally I think they’re out of the bottom 4 as soon as next year if their conditioning is addressed, although more likely 2025/2026

WCE also have plenty of cash and Hungry Jacks franchises to ensure they can entice Perth natives back home. Once they decide to sort their s**t out they shouldn't be putrid for too long.

Now I’d say NMFC and WCE. Five years down the track the Eagles will have improved but I can see whatever young talent NMFC attract will be sorely tempted to move to other Clubs with prospects of success.

Geelong for mine unless can trade well again as they have little draft capitol.

10 Players over 30 on the weekend with half of those over 33
3 Players under 23 by the start of next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast by a long way, Oscar Allen gun, Barrass still one of the best defenders, Tim Kelly very good footballer, Ginbey looks promising but wont be a star. The rest there is nothing I can say much about them positive at all, who is there starting midfield now?
Yeo always injured Mcgovern always injured Gaff least damaging footballer in the league. Dom Sheed is decent but him and Kelly are only ones worthy of playing midfield. Liam Ryan needs to come back and fire because there forward line has nothing nowadays, Allen thats it. The future I couldnt name 5 guys under 25 that are good.

Saints.

An even side, but no real stars to build around
Sorry mate, but if you seriously think Max King isn't a star you can build around then you've got rocks in your head. Don't forget he's just turned 23, missed all of pre season and the first 9 rounds of the year with a shoulder before re-dislocating it in round 17 and still coming back 3 weeks later to play out the season underdone.

We clearly need more elite midfield talent but Max is a genuine star. No bones about it.

Just a little comparison for you.
after first 5 years in the AFL:

CurnowM.King
Games6371
Goals79140
Behinds47103
Scoring shots126243
Marks325311
Goal Assists2732
Disposals818666

SDK got 1 Norm Smith vote from a journalist, Michael Gleeson. He played a decent game for a 21yo but it was a rout, not a career defining performance. He has been operating under more pressure this season and struggling.

Holmes playing in a flag at 20 wouldn't have made him a special player. Richmond had Jack Graham actually play in a Grand Final win and star at 19. It doesn't make you an A Grader.

Oliver Henry is not in the top 430 players in the AFL by official rankings in 2023.

These guys are nothing you won't find at just about any club.

And Richmond fans memed Jack Graham for about 2 years after that about how good he was - it was only when they realised it was a fluke performance that he’s now used as an example that being young & in a flag side isn’t good.

i love how getting a NS vote as being the best defender on the ground is not as good because it was “only” a journalist - it’d be better if it was Luke Darcy would it 😂 he also polled with the coaches by the way

Purely playing list - West Coast. They are at the start of their rebuild and apart from Allen haven’t had any definite wins with new players. Hewett looks like he’ll be a weapon, Long is ferocious and intelligent, Ginbey hasn’t had any more than half a season of “decent for a kid” performance. But glimpses are mere glimpses at this stage.

They don’t yet have the amount of young talent that other rebuilding clubs do - but of course, WC are seasons behind - so they are embarking on where North (having a top 3 pick in 2020) & Hawthorn (top 6 pick in 2020) were 3 seasons ago. Remember Campbell Chesser at pick 14 in 2021 was their first top 30 pick since Xavier O’Neill at pick 28 in 2018.

The Eagles competed for flags while the other rebuilding sides weren’t. That’s why the difference now.

If you asked me as a CLUB, including off field staff & management & leadership, then the club I’d least like to be is North Melbourne.

I rate North Melbournes young talent higher than Hawthorns - when I say this, I mean as in I rate their junior potential higher.
But why did Hawthorn win more games and generally just get more out of their kids? Off field development.

If Sheezel (or JHF), Wardlaw, LDU, Thomas, Phillips, Powell, Simpkin had come through Hawthorn, I think you’d see a lot better performance from the last 4 and maybe 5. We’ve done well with Sheezel & Wardlaw so far. LDU as good as his best games was outperformed by Newcombe as far as the whole season goes - who would you have taken as a junior, the consensus top 5 pick or the undrafted player? That’s what I mean about “junior talent” - we have it and haven’t turned a high pick into a bonafide elite top 20 player for years, we haven’t had one since Boomer as a forward/mid in 2007-2010 (multipleAA & high Brownlow finishes).

I have no faith in the north systems. Not convinced Clarko will have the drive to last a 5-6 year build. Don’t reckon Rawlings is the man. Think too many former club greats have too much input, and think a money saving culture of part time coaches has burned us (although that seems to have concluded End of 2023).

“We have so many holes in our list, we’ve been so poor for so long, we need help from the AFL and draft assistance”.

But also…

“I rate our talent higher than the club who won more double the amount of games”.

I have a feeling we're gonna see Geelong @ North/West Coast levels (and worse) for the next 5-7 years. Slight chance they'll prove me wrong but my head says Cats. The fact that they're willing to trade their first round pick for a player is evidence of the delusion they're under and are probably due for a plunge to the bottom as a consenquence to that delusion.

I mean not batting for Geelong (I despise them for getting away with the Dank Flags in 07 and 09 and not owning up) but SDK is clearly a promising kid, we wanted Henry to stay and we'd love to pinch Holmes but that ain't happening. Really like the Tigers aside from bedwetter Lynch, but the guys I would like from them are Sahi and Dusty.

26 yo and younger?? What on earth sort of definition is that of youth.
Its like "virgins with 10 or fewer sexual partners".

Gotta say the overall quality of mainboard posting is crap. Some truly epic takes, in another thread some flog claimed the 1989 grand final was average, and 2012 or some rubbish was better.

Dc Comics Joker GIF by Max

West coast worst but my own club is not far behind them. It all comes down to the return on the draft picks we get. The jury is still out on Norths picks from the last few years. If they end up paddy dow quality and WC pick well we are worst.
Time will tell.

Back