Votes: 44 3.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think their midfield lacks speed/class

too many very similar players, some pretty good players too but just not the right balance. Maybe Petracca can become a classy burst midfielder and shake it up from its largely "one-paced" formula.
I definitely agree last year, we looked incredibly slow.

I think adding Langdon will help our outside game substantially. The other one coming back is Jake Melksham, who we really missed. We have a young fella coming through called James Jordon, who was the youngest player drafted in 2018. I anticipate he will play some senior footy this year, he is a terrific kick and pretty quick. Big if, but Harley bennell is running now, if he can play some footy from mid season, he helps too.

You hit the nail with Petracca, we need him more on ball. Last year he was required to play forward more with McDonald, Weideman etc injured.

Injuries aren't an excuse for the diabolical shitshow last year, but so often we had to rob Peter to pay Paul- lever misses most the year so we play Fritsch across half back, instead of Fritsch playing half forward (with Melksham, Vandenberg and Hannan all injured) we had Corey Wagner and JKH playing. Soon Jordan Lewis was playing on the wing, then forward. Weideman, McDonald and both smiths all struggle with injuries, which leaves key defender Harry petty thrown forward. Speaking of the wing, Lewis, Jones, brayshaw (all as slow as a wet week) line up there at various times.

Again, not making excuses for injuries for why we were so bad, but I think where the injuries fell (personnel and positionally) really magnified the issues.

With a little more luck this year on the injury front, the addition of langdon and tomlinson on a wing each, and hopefully a bit more clarity on the game plan, and I'm still fairly optimistic we should be around 12-14 wins.

Melbourne for mine. Gawn is an absolute goer, but Petracca goes off the boil regularly and Oliver goes to handball it so often one wonders if he left his legs and feet at Goulburn Valley Grammar. And how Brayshaw polled so well in the Brownlow one year, I am yet to understand.

I never bought into the flag possibility and that was with Hogan in the side. This might seem harsh, but the Dees have talent but little team structure. It's like getting a kit home and finding you've got double the required number of windows and doors, while half the roof is missing.

Last edited:

Melbourne for mine. Gawn is an absolute goer, but Petracca goes off the boil regularly and Oliver goes to handball it so often one wonders if he left his legs and feet at GV Grammar. And how Brayshaw polled so well in the Brownlow one year, I am yet to understand.

I never bought into the flag possibility and that was with Hogan in the side. This might seem harsh, but the Dees have talent but little team structure. It's like getting a kit home and finding you've got double the required number of windows and doors, while half the roof is missing.

Oliver seemed to kick more last year but it felt like it affected his output. Maybe he really is the guy to extract and handball.

I certainly wouldnt want him being to 40m clearance kick guy.

too many very similar players, some pretty good players too but just not the right balance. Maybe Petracca can become a classy burst midfielder and shake it up from its largely "one-paced" formula.

Petracca is a dud unfortunately. Dominated juniors being a big solid unit but in the AFL he is as slow as a Carlton rebuild. Their team has 1 star. Gawn, otherwise its a complete s**t show, and as I mentioned earlier the new coach honeymoon phase is long over.

If they break out of the bottom 4 I will be very surprised. Jones and Viney are both hacks and couldn't lead a horse to water. The dees are a real disappointment for mine and earn the distinguished honour of being the team I'd least want.

I definitely agree last year, we looked incredibly slow.

I think adding Langdon will help our outside game substantially. The other one coming back is Jake Melksham, who we really missed. We have a young fella coming through called James Jordon, who was the youngest player drafted in 2018. I anticipate he will play some senior footy this year, he is a terrific kick and pretty quick. Big if, but Harley bennell is running now, if he can play some footy from mid season, he helps too.

You hit the nail with Petracca, we need him more on ball. Last year he was required to play forward more with McDonald, Weideman etc injured.

Injuries aren't an excuse for the diabolical shitshow last year, but so often we had to rob Peter to pay Paul- lever misses most the year so we play Fritsch across half back, instead of Fritsch playing half forward (with Melksham, Vandenberg and Hannan all injured) we had Corey Wagner and JKH playing. Soon Jordan Lewis was playing on the wing, then forward. Weideman, McDonald and both smiths all struggle with injuries, which leaves key defender Harry petty thrown forward. Speaking of the wing, Lewis, Jones, brayshaw (all as slow as a wet week) line up there at various times.

Again, not making excuses for injuries for why we were so bad, but I think where the injuries fell (personnel and positionally) really magnified the issues.

With a little more luck this year on the injury front, the addition of langdon and tomlinson on a wing each, and hopefully a bit more clarity on the game plan, and I'm still fairly optimistic we should be around 12-14 wins.
Yeah can see how Langdon helps he's a pretty quick outside midfielder. Melksham can add some class too, he was instrumental in delivering the ball inside 50 for you guys in 2018.

Yeah if you could manage to get Petracca bursting through and Bennell in there, you could quickly turn it around and have a nice balanced midfield.
-Oliver -Viney -Brayshaw -Harmes -Petracca -Bennell is a way better combination than anything you put out there this year.

Petracca is a dud unfortunately. Dominated juniors being a big solid unit but in the AFL he is as slow as a Carlton rebuild. Their team has 1 star. Gawn, otherwise its a complete s**t show, and as I mentioned earlier the new coach honeymoon phase is long over.

If they break out of the bottom 4 I will be very surprised. Jones and Viney are both hacks and couldn't lead a horse to water. The dees are a real disappointment for mine and earn the distinguished honour of being the team I'd least want.

What the actual f***?

Nothing there is true, you clearly haven't watched Petracca because last year he was far from a dud.

Also if you don't think Oliver is a star then you clearly have no f***ing idea which was actually obvious reading your post.

Given free choice of any team list, why would you bother with "building"? Why not just pick the best list available and try to win now?
See Hawthorns list as an example. Not to say we're not building for the future because we are, just doing it a bit differently while trying to contend in the interim, don't think we will contend this year but we will play finals, still enough talent across the park to win enough games. 2021 onwards will be when we try and have a crack again while we should still be getting decent output from the Gunstons and the Breusts and Isaac Smith as an example.

Last edited:

Petracca was close to 20 disposals and a goal a game last year... He is so far from a dud it is not even funny. He hasn't lived up to the hype of his Draft position yet but i think he will.

His end to last year was really solid and he is still young.

Bay 13 awaits

Melbourne for mine. Gawn is an absolute goer, but Petracca goes off the boil regularly and Oliver goes to handball it so often one wonders if he left his legs and feet at Goulburn Valley Grammar. And how Brayshaw polled so well in the Brownlow one year, I am yet to understand.

there's some gold nuggets here and there in this thread. Lovin' it

Using this article for Essendon's Best 22 in 2020 (because I didn't really follow Essendon's trade period):

Essendon's Spine for 2020 will be Hooker-- Hurley-- Bellchambers-- McKernan-- Daniher.
  • Four of those Five players (Hooker, Hurley, Bellchambers & McKernan) are either already over 30 or will be by the end of the 2020 season.
  • Joe Daniher has played 11 games in 2 seasons & seems like he doesn't want to be there.
These two factors mean that Essendon's spine could be completely gone in the next 12-24 months. That's really worrying for a side that doesn't appear to have much key position depth (otherwise why would they go & get a 28 year old journeyman in Andrew Phillips.

Combine that with three forwards in Stringer, Fantasia & McDonald-Tipingwuti. On their day all three forwards have the ability to break a game open; but there's also many games when they can be completely ineffective. I'm honestly surprised that Essendon can carry all three in the same side due to how inconsistent they can be.

Bellchambers and Mckernan are meh players at this point in their career and will be no big loss. Hurley spent most the year playing as a third tall with Ambrose and Hooker being the main KPDs and is only 29 currently which likely sees him playing at a minimum 3 more years. How does recruiting a depth ruckman point to a lack of key position depth? If anything the fact we were happy to let go of Brown and Hartley points to confidence in our developing KPPs.

Think the forwards problem is more a symptom of the team then anything else especially when you consider Fantasia was playing injured all year and Stringer actually was quite consistent, only being held goalless twice with one of the instances occurring when he got injured in the first quarter. Tippa is also one of those players who can effect games without it showing up on the stat sheet. I remember a game this year where the commentators were getting stuck into him for being possessionless in the first quarter whilst ignoring that his pressure had set up 2 first quarter goals.

My main pout give the the demographic of Essendon’s list the weaknesses have time to resolve themselves.

Nail on the head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bellchambers and Mckernan are meh players at this point in their career and will be no big loss. Hurley spent most the year playing as a third tall with Ambrose and Hooker being the main KPDs and is only 29 currently which likely sees him playing at a minimum 3 more years. How does recruiting a depth ruckman point to a lack of key position depth? If anything the fact we were happy to let go of Brown and Hartley points to confidence in our developing KPPs.

Think the forwards problem is more a symptom of the team then anything else especially when you consider Fantasia was playing injured all year and Stringer actually was quite consistent, only being held goalless twice with one of the instances occurring when he got injured in the first quarter. Tippa is also one of those players who can effect games without it showing up on the stat sheet. I remember a game this year where the commentators were getting stuck into him for being possessionless in the first quarter whilst ignoring that his pressure had set up 2 first quarter goals.

My main pout give the the demographic of Essendon’s list the weaknesses have time to resolve themselves.
I do think there is some reason for concern in Essendon's Key position players.

Ruck situation is getting pretty grim. Bellchambers is past his best and is serviceable at best, while only having a couple years maximum left in him.

Joe Daniher's got major injury worries.

Backup ruckman Draper has shown promise but continues to be struck down with injury.

Hooker is 31 and has been able to go forward/back when needed for you guys for a while now. When he eventually has to retire will be a major loss, because Hooker is a match-winner forward as well as a very solid key defender.

Hurley will be 30 next year, would have 2-3 years left.

Mckernan seems to be finally hitting his straps, but unfortunately he's already 29 and might have 2-3 good years left.

New recruit backup ruckman is going to be 29 next year (and lets be honest he's not very good).

Hartley would've been perfect to slip into a key position post when Hooker has to retire, but he's gone now.

Just can't see much to be excited about for Essendon's key position stocks, it could be pretty bloody grim in 2 years.

Bellchambers and Mckernan are meh players at this point in their career and will be no big loss.

This would be concerning to me if I was an Essendon supporter that your starting Ruck & Centre Half Forward are "no big loss". Who are the natural replacements for these players?

Hurley spent most the year playing as a third tall with Ambrose and Hooker being the main KPDs and is only 29 currently which likely sees him playing at a minimum 3 more years.

Tell me about the "young developing KPP" that is Patrick Ambrose. Oh-- he's already 28 ;)

You are saying that Michael Hurley will play for another 3 seasons minimum; meaning he will be 32 by the time he retires. There's currently only 17 players in the entire AFL aged 32 or older (less than one a club per average). It's highly ambitious to expect Hurley to play on for that long when his form has already dropped off in the past two seasons compared to his AA years.

How does recruiting a depth ruckman point to a lack of key position depth? .

Want to read that comment again :rolleyes:

Essendon recruited the journeyman in Andrew Phillips as a ruckman because they saw a lack of key position depth in the ruck division. Andrew Phillips has played 41 games in 8 seasons (on average of a little over 5 a year) for only 6 wins. Doesn't sound like Phillips is anything more than a journeyman & won't improve Essendon's weak ruck division.

Richmond only four? Hahaha. Martin, Riewoldt, Lynch, Grimes, Edwards, Cotchin and Prestia walk into the top fifty. Would like to know which Gold Coast player it is that was rated ahead of the aforementioned players as well. They don’t have one player that would make our side, let alone be anywhere near our top ten.
Apparently we only have 2 worthy of top 50 which means there are a few players criminally underrated by some posters. Hazard a guess Mitchell and Sicily would be the 2. Can't fit Breust or Gunston there? Breust is the most consistent small forward of the past 6-7 years. Had an average year yet still kicked 30 plus. Is easily in the top 50 players.

With Adelaide attracting so many votes and dominating the "I don't want your list" list maybe it's time for a
24 man head to head battle with the might of the Tigers.

Brad Crouch = Dustin Martin
Matt Crouch = Dion Prestia
Rory Sloane = Trent Cotchin
Taylor Walker = Jack Riewoldt
Bryce Gibbs = Kane Lambert
Rory Laird = Bachar Houli
Daniel Talia = Dylan Grimes
Wayne Milera = Jayden Short
Brodie Smith = Nick Vlastuin
Reilly O'Brien = Toby Nankervis
Kyle Hartigan = David Astbury
Tom Lynch = Josh Caddy
Tom Doedee = Nathan Broad
Darcy Fogarty = Tom Lynch
Paul Seedsman = Shane Edwards
David Mackay = Sydney Stack
Rory Atkins = Kamdyn McIntosh
Riley Knight = Daniel Rioli
Luke Brown = Liam Baker
Jordan Gallucci = Shai Bolton
Lachlan Murphy = Jason Castagna
Myles Poholke = Jack Graham
Jake Kelly = Ryan Garthwaite
Chayce Jones = Jack Higgins

Adelaide picked up Crocker, Frampton and Keays which will add to their depth, but still remain to this day the
only AFL club to not drop a game to the Gold Coast Suns, despite the Suns having 13 valiant attempts to
vanquish the "Pride Of South Australia". New Coach, will he bring new ideas or will he have Nix ?

With Adelaide attracting so many votes and dominating the "I don't want your list" list maybe it's time for a

Brad Crouch = Dustin Martin
Matt Crouch = Dion Prestia
Rory Sloane = Trent Cotchin
Taylor Walker = Jack Riewoldt
Bryce Gibbs = Kane Lambert
Rory Laird = Bachar Houli
Daniel Talia = Dylan Grimes
Wayne Milera = Jayden Short
Brodie Smith = Nick Vlastuin
Reilly O'Brien = Toby Nankervis
Kyle Hartigan = David Astbury
Tom Lynch = Josh Caddy
Tom Doedee = Nathan Broad
David Mackay = Sydney Stack
Rory Atkins = Kamdyn McIntosh
Riley Knight = Daniel Rioli
Luke Brown = Liam Baker
Jordan Gallucci = Shai Bolton
Lachlan Murphy = Jason Castagna
Jake Kelly = Ryan Garthwaite

Adelaide picked up Crocker, Frampton and Keays which will add to their depth, but still remain to this day the
only AFL club to not drop a game to the Gold Coast Suns, despite the Suns having 13 valiant attempts to
vanquish the "Pride Of South Australia". New Coach, will he bring new ideas or will he have Nix ?

You do realize as soon as they see the equals sign all the Tigers supporters will quote this post with "Bah so you think Brad Crouch is equal to Dustin Martin? You're so stupid you casual Richmond watcher!"

Apparently we only have 2 worthy of top 50 which means there are a few players criminally underrated by some posters. Hazard a guess Mitchell and Sicily would be the 2. Can't fit Breust or Gunston there? Breust is the most consistent small forward of the past 6-7 years. Had an average year yet still kicked 30 plus. Is easily in the top 50 players.
Sicily and Worpel actually, with McEvoy and O'Meara just outside.

You do realize as soon as they see the equals sign all the Tigers supporters will quote this post with "Bah so you think Brad Crouch is equal to Dustin Martin? You're so stupid you casual Richmond watcher!"
Richmond admirer, imagine if I used greater than or less than signs instead.

This would be concerning to me if I was an Essendon supporter that your starting Ruck & Centre Half Forward are "no big loss". Who are the natural replacements for these players?

Once you get below the top 6-8 ruckman they really aren't moving the needle in terms of wins and losses. Zach Clarke played 9 games last year we went 6-3 with wins against sides with Gawn, Goldstien and Martin. Surely as a Richmond supporter with ruckman such as Grigg, Soldo and Nank (can't win a hit out) you're not pushing the value of rucks. Mckernan for Stewart straight swap.

Tell me about the "young developing KPP" that is Patrick Ambrose. Oh-- he's already 28 ;)

Francis will have no problem playing as a second tall being the same size as Hurley and far more athletic. The club rates Zerk-Thatcher.

You are saying that Michael Hurley will play for another 3 seasons minimum; meaning he will be 32 by the time he retires. There's currently only 17 players in the entire AFL aged 32 or older (less than one a club per average). It's highly ambitious to expect Hurley to play on for that long when his form has already dropped off in the past two seasons compared to his AA years.

Your stat is wrong because it doesn't include 32 year olds who retired this year ie played the year out as a 31/32 year old. In 2020 there are 25 31 yr olds set to turn 32 this year. Plus the 17 players you mentioned puts it above 2 per club.

Want to read that comment again :rolleyes:

Essendon recruited the journeyman in Andrew Phillips as a ruckman because they saw a lack of key position depth in the ruck division. Andrew Phillips has played 41 games in 8 seasons (on average of a little over 5 a year) for only 6 wins. Doesn't sound like Phillips is anything more than a journeyman & won't improve Essendon's weak ruck division.

Ruck has never been considered KPP either way its semantics. Phillips was brought in as an upgrade on Zac Clarke I'd say he doesn't have to do too much to better him.

Last edited:

I clearly don't watch enough Crows games if Darcy Fogarty, Paul Seedsman, Myles Pholke & Chayce Jones (I don't think I've watched either of Pholke or Jones play before) are equal to Tom Lynch, Shane Edwards, Jack Graham & Jack Higgins.

Back