Votes: 44 3.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North have to be the worst placed.

Watching the Dees vs. Roos “U23” practice match last week it is as clearly evident that they have little to no depth (not helped by either poor coaching or an in ability to execute a game plan).

Hawks a close second. There list just looks half baked. It’s clearly not good enough for a premiership tilt, yet they have bought in players as if it is. Even with Clacko they are finishing in the bottom 6 sides.

Adelaide, Sydney and the Bombers are also stuffed. Although I rate Adelaide as a club, so expect they’ll get it right quickly.

Anyone saying Gold Coast is mad. There +5 years away from being a contender, but they have got some serious young talent in a cluster on that list.
North were terrible in that match, but both sides had their 10 or so best players out and that's just not going to happen in the real stuff.

And from North 5 of their best players are probably heading the wrong way age wise - Higgins, Goldy, Ziebell, Tarrant even Cunnington - which has to be a concern.

But they were also missing Tarran Thomas, Simpkin, Larkey who are special talents and should be there for a decade and they have some decent young players like Zurhaar and hopefully LDU and more.

I don't think North are too badly placed but I do have my concerns that their constant need to stay competitive has robbed them of some list management choices. Higgins and Goldy held them hostage for contract extensions that I think stronger clubs would've told them to either suck it up or leave and they'll cut the rebuild deeper.

Freo always score badly on list assessments but I think their new coach will unearth a whole bunch of talented role playing types.

What concerns me is that after Fyfe for football talent on the Freo list it's probably Walters, then Luke Ryan, then Alex Pearce when fit. After that if you can't count on Mundy and Hill in the future it's a big drop off to all the B and C graders.

Their big ticket rebuilding pieces so far have been Hogan (hope he turns it around the poor guys), Griff Logue (who's coming good in a hurry but let's see), Cerra (who's a lot of class but not always the results), Andy Brayshaw (kind of the opposite of Cerra), Sam Sturt (a talent but still super raw), Lobb (a talented tweener) and then the kids this year drafted in that 6-8 range that can be brilliant but can be a trap.

All of that's a long way of me saying they've been rebuilding for 4 years now and the overall health of the list is trending better but you have to get those stars when you've got the top draft picks or you can get caught in rebuilding hell. I look at a team like the Pies who did a tear down rebuild and added De Goey, Moore, Grundy and Stephenson (and missed on plenty of picks too), plus traded for Trealor and co and then bounced back up.

Anyway, Logue might be star 1 - for a slow burn tall I like him. Cerra might be star 2, he's at least a very good player. Star 3 might come from this years crop. But if they all end up nice but not amazing players then it can be a bit like the Saints rebuild that hovered towards mid table and then faltered without star player (pre Max King).

North were terrible in that match, but both sides had their 10 or so best players out and that's just not going to happen in the real stuff.

And from North 5 of their best players are probably heading the wrong way age wise - Higgins, Goldy, Ziebell, Tarrant even Cunnington - which has to be a concern.

But they were also missing Tarran Thomas, Simpkin, Larkey who are special talents and should be there for a decade and they have some decent young players like Zurhaar and hopefully LDU and more.

I don't think North are too badly placed but I do have my concerns that their constant need to stay competitive has robbed them of some list management choices. Higgins and Goldy held them hostage for contract extensions that I think stronger clubs would've told them to either suck it up or leave and they'll cut the rebuild deeper.
You hit the nail on the head. Both sides where missing the top 20% of their respective playing lists, yet one side played as a unit and the other were headless chooks.

It’s a bit of a % game when it comes to kids, and they just don’t have enough cards to pick from. Take this Tarren Thomas they fap over. Looks alright, but hardly looking like he’s going to be a top 10-20 footballer in the league in coming years, yet he would appear to be the great white hope.

You hit the nail on the head. Both sides where missing the top 20% of their respective playing lists, yet one side played as a unit and the other were headless chooks.

It’s a bit of a % game when it comes to kids, and they just don’t have enough cards to pick from. Take this Tarren Thomas they fap over. Looks alright, but hardly looking like he’s going to be a top 10-20 footballer in the league in coming years, yet he would appear to be the great white hope.
It's a sample size of one though. And maybe the young Dees came there on a mission to put on a disciplined performance, where as North took it as a training drill at their home ground.

I'm with the North fans on Thomas. He does really special things. But yeah, it's unlikely he'll be anywhere near an All Aus shout whilst Higgins and Goldy are still producing excellent footy.

It's a sample size of one though. And maybe the young Dees came there on a mission to put on a disciplined performance, where as North took it as a training drill at their home ground.

I'm with the North fans on Thomas. He does really special things. But yeah, it's unlikely he'll be anywhere near an All Aus shout whilst Higgins and Goldy are still producing excellent footy.
Thomas will be a good player, but more in the ilk of a Melksham.

That game was particularly relevant because it show cases the respective depths of the sides. I didn’t see yesterday’s game, but they look equally bad in their first hit out as well.

Thomas will be a good player, but more in the ilk of a Melksham.

That game was particularly relevant because it show cases the respective depths of the sides. I didn’t see yesterday’s game, but they look equally bad in their first hit out as well.
Hes got way more potential upside than Melksham
I think most North fans would be pretty disappointed if that was his ceiling

Not saying Thomas's definitely going to be a gun, but has the tools to be one

Hes got way more potential upside than Melksham
I think most North fans would be pretty disappointed if that was his ceiling

Not saying Thomas's definitely going to be a gun, but has the tools to be one
Don’t underrate Melk. He’s critical to the Dee’s and his absence is one of the big reasons we went from effectively the highest scoring side in 2018 to the lowest in 2019.

Thomas will be good, but I just don’t see him as ever in the same bracket as a Bont., Cripps, Kelly, Oliver et.al.

It could be Melbourne by Rnd 10 as there are some worrying signs there.

They capitulated last year and its often very difficult to turn it around once that kind of decay has set in
I’ll defer to the expert here. And just remember that even as we were going backwards we still beat your mob.

We will be fine. Maybe not great, but fine. You, on the other hand, have 4 good players and 20 that would struggle to get a contract in the girlie league

Agree with all points, although we'd be ****ed without Higgins so I'm glad we hung onto him. We had some shocking drafts mid-2010s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t underrate Melk. He’s critical to the Dee’s and his absence is one of the big reasons we went from effectively the highest scoring side in 2018 to the lowest in 2019.

Thomas will be good, but I just don’t see him as ever in the same bracket as a Bont., Cripps, Kelly, Oliver et.al.

we'll see I guess. I'm not silly enough to say he will definitely be as good as Cripps and Bont, but he certainly has potential.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-3.58.41-pm.png

Not even North want North's list.
I don't mind the 11 they cut. If you are going to go, go all in.
The fact that Polec couldn't get into the side, the "big name", they obviously don't rate him.
Aaron Hall is a 6 possy highlight reel. Ben Brown looks like being shopped,
SO
who are they going to fill the spots with? List, will be trimmed, agreed, but not that much.

The fact that Polec couldn't get into the side, the "big name", they obviously don't rate him.
SO
who are they going to fill the spots with? List, will be trimmed, agreed, but not that much.
1. list sizes will decrease
2. We are targeting free agents like corr and zac williams
3. We are pretty happy with our list. Our under 23s include simpkin, LDU, McKay, Bonar, Curtis taylor, bailey scott, kyron hayden, Larkey, zurhaar, tarryn thomas, flynn perez, plus we have pick 2 and 9 in this draft

List sizes decreasing while the AFL drops millions on the GF location. Can’t wait for next year when teams are borrowing players from the opposition like Auskick.

SO
Polec is rated. There was a bit going on between him and the coach apparently; hence the smackdown and dropping.

no one knows if that has been resolved.

I laugh at North, but seriously guys you are letting the small teams down, you know we have to punch above our weight. ******* pick up some good players and stop picking up mediocrity.

Back