Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Question is basically in the title. Basically I am asking in this thread which club do you think is a combination of furthest from a flag and possibly least exciting going forward? I am not asking which club you think will come last in 2020, but that could be taken into account of you want. I am asking if you combine possibly a poor to average ladder position with youth coming through that does not feel exciting which list do you think is furthest from a flag?

For instance, despite the fact there is a good chance Gold Coast are going to come last in 2020 I personally would not have them as the list that I would least want my club to have as sure they will come last this year (likely) but they also have a stack of really exciting young prospects in Rankine, King, Lukosius and now Rowell, Anderson and Flanders. That is a very exciting group of names and it is enough to keep them off the "least wanted" list in my eyes.

For me I would go with North Melbourne. I know it is a controversial choice but I look at their list and I don't think they are winning any flags in the next couple of years and unlike clubs that are ranked lower than them like Gold Coast or Carlton I don't think North Melbourne have any exciting youth coming through that could elevate them to premiership contention either. They are sort of in this weird zone where they are too good for the best draft picks, but not good enough to be in any sort of premiership talks and I don't see that changing anytime soon so I feel like out of every team in the competition North Melbourne is actually the furthest away from potentially winning a flag.

What about you, which team list would you least want based on how far away they are from winning a flag?

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For me I would go with North Melbourne. I know it is a controversial choice but I look at their list and I don't think they are winning any flags in the next couple of years and unlike clubs that are ranked lower than them like Gold Coast or Carlton I don't think North Melbourne have any exciting youth coming through that could elevate them to premiership contention either. They are sort of in this weird zone where they are too good for the best draft picks, but not good enough to be in any sort of premiership talks and I don't see that changing anytime soon so I feel like out of every team in the competition North Melbourne is actually the furthest away from potentially winning a flag.

Pretty happy with Taryn Thomas, Jy Simpkin, LDU, Cam Zurhaar, Nick Larkey, Paul Ahern, Bailey Scott.

I'm convinced people just don't watch NM games.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty happy with Taryn Thomas, Jy Simpkin, LDU, Cam Zurhaar, Nick Larkey, Paul Ahern, Bailey Scott.

I admit I don't want as many North games as you do for obvious reasons but there are not many on the list you just made that scream "future stars" or even future A graders.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Obviously there are many factors that contribute to success, static defence, transitional defence, midfield
depth and link, spread, keeping the width, static forwards and transitional forwards, bench impact to
name a few. On a ladder which has a focus on one small part of the ground, but the part which contains
the scoring end goal posts the bottom four teams for 2019 were;

15th: GWS Giants
16th: Geelong
17th: Sydney
18th: Gold Coast

Hang on two of those sides played in Preliminary Finals how can this be ?

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I admit I don't want as many North games as you do for obvious reasons but there are not many on the list you just made that scream "future stars" or even future A graders.
For me, all that the North posted other than maybe Ahern could end up stars.

I want to see a little more from LDU (early stages) but Tarryn Thomas, Zurhaar, Larkey, Bailey Scott and Simpkin have a lot of potential from what I have seen. I think they’d be happy with these players.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
This is a tough question but for me, it’s St Kilda. I can see the list doing well, but right now I don’t see it tracking for a Premiership. It’s still deficient in major areas like in KPPs and ruck. It’s not all their fault though with what happened with Paddy McCartin.

They have lost Bruce and Steven and have gained Zak Jones and Bradley Hill. Essentially this is how I see it as Acres is not a huge loss but Ryder isn’t what he used to be either. I like the Howard acquisition, but he kinda was in and out of Port Adelaide’s side.

They have a really good coach in Ratten in my opinion so I think that he has the ability to make it work somehow, but it’s probably the list I’d least want as I think it still requires work.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
No clubs list is too horrible ATM , probably why this year will be as tight as any we have seen but after a little think I would say the Swans as that Buddy deal is starting to get into the years where it could really bite the salary cap and handcuff them at the trade table while their young players are OK but I wouldn't have them in the top 10 for development potential

Not a great spot to try to fight your way out of the bottom 4

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
This is a tough question but for me, it’s St Kilda. I can see the list doing well, but right now I don’t see it tracking for a Premiership. It’s still deficient in major areas like in KPPs and ruck. It’s not all their fault though with what happened with Paddy McCartin.

Rowan Marshall is one of the better ruckman in the league, and Ryder is good back up. It’s actually one of their best areas.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Port Adelaide’s list is the one I’d want to least. They have accumulated some good young talented players in the last few drafts, but each year it seems they lose some top end talent and their best players in Gray and Boak are aging.

Essendon’s list are kind of no man’s land at the moment and lack genuine star power.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

They have lost Bruce and Steven and have gained Zak Jones and Bradley Hill. Essentially this is how I see it as Acres is not a huge loss but Ryder isn’t what he used to be either. I like the Howard acquisition, but he kinda was in and out of Port Adelaide’s side.

They have a really good coach in Ratten in my opinion so I think that he has the ability to make it work somehow, but it’s probably the list I’d least want as I think it still requires work.

It will be interesting to see how they go. Certainly a different path.

Geelong got Dangerfield and then topped up around the edges with players from other clubs. Henderson costly draft capital wise in hindsight but everyone else was pretty cheap in what it took to get them to the club and all of them were on reasonable contracts.

Once we tip over the cliff it will be easy to reset at least.

The draft capital and the salary cap implications of the players that the Saints have picked up from other clubs is going to be one hell of a millstone if it doesn't work out. Carlisle, Hanneberry, Jones, Hill, Steele, Howard. It is a lot of commitment to B grade players on A grade coin.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The draft capital and the salary cap implications of the players that the Saints have picked up from other clubs is going to be one hell of a millstone if it doesn't work out. Carlisle, Hanneberry, Jones, Hill, Steele, Howard. It is a lot of commitment to B grade players on A grade coin.

They didn’t give up too much for Steele, and I doubt he’s on too much, and I’d back Howard to improve to validate his pay packet.

The others they’re overpaying, but if the Saints make it to the finals and can sustain a reasonable position for the next few years they might be OK with that.

I see King and Clark as the main stakeholders in their next push though, and I doubt Hannebery and Carlisle are still around at that point in time.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Its always hard to judge growth in a list, its not simply draft numbers & trades usually have a big downside.

First time anything starts to be certain is in the 80-100 game range, the certaintys before that are few & far between.

North is one of those clubs that are easy to kick, you are right about the viewing.

Back