• Sydney

Votes: 44 3.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you look at lists purely by age demographics North and West Coast have the most players in the 27 and older age bracket suggesting that both sides are very much in win now mode for 2020. Pretty worrying sign for North seeing as they are a fringe top 8 side as of last year.

If you look at lists purely by age demographics North and West Coast have the most players in the 27 and older age bracket suggesting that both sides are very much in win now mode for 2020. Pretty worrying sign for North seeing as they are a fringe top 8 side as of last year.
We only have 4 over 29, according to that other thread about covering older players

one of the least in the league

We only have 4 over 29, according to that other thread about covering older players

one of the least in the league

15 over 27 though. I missed Geelong though they have 17

West coasts prospects 2020 Yeah!!

Same with Niggles, who has constantly posted unnecessarily provocative (borderline trolling) statements on most threads yet cracked the shits when I mentioned “bay 13”. I hate generalising but it seems a lot of Richmond supporters have been like that lately.
o_O Well excuse me! I've never been so insulted in my life. Just because I reckon Melbourne have a s**t list and the worst coach in the comp, does not mean i'm a troll. My post in the thread was just another post that most can cope with, without embarrassing themselves.

I'm very disappointed you feel that way. Maybe you need to grow some balls, then any criticism of your club wont become so personal to you. And you can deal with it like an adult.

o_O Well excuse me! I've never been so insulted in my life. Just because I reckon Melbourne have a s**t list and the worst coach in the comp, does not mean i'm a troll. My post in the thread was just another post that most can cope with, without embarrassing themselves.

I'm very disappointed you feel that way. Maybe you need to grow some balls, then any criticism of your club wont become so personal to you. And you can deal with it like an adult.
I wouldn’t put it past Melbourne to s**t the bed this year either mate, but that’s pointing out the obvious. But to say a team is poor because “player A is a hack” or “player B is soft” as well as the “coach has no idea” without providing evidence isn’t really a “truthful assessment” tbh.

15 over 27 though. I missed Geelong though they have 17
You're spot on about them needing to be in "win now" mode, especially when you take into account that not only do they have that many who are 27yo or older, but that all their very best players are currently 27yo+.

Age by the end of this season:

32- Higgins, Goldstein
31- Tarrant
29- Cunnington, Ziebell, Daw, MacMillan, Pittard
28- Jacobs
27- Brown, Polec

9 of the top 10 in their B&F came from that group.

Very little to get excited about in the currently 22-26yo group (hence only Dumont cracking the top 10 in the B&F), and by the time their currently 21yo and under group (who have shown promise, but are as yet almost all "unproven") are coming into their prime years, the likes of Higgins, Goldy and Tarrant are likely to be gone, and with Cunnington and Ziebell on what may be their last legs.

They wouldn't need much to go wrong to be in a pretty dire place.

If on the other hand they managed to pick up a mid-career "superstar", say this year, that could propel them into genuine premiership contention, but of course they've failed at all their attempts to do that in recent years, and will presumably continue to do so, if it looks like they're really not going anywhere fast.

In my opinion, this question needs more context.

Is the question "which list would you want least for 2020?" or is it "which list would you want least looking at the next 3-5 years?"

For example; I wouldn't want Gold Coast's list going into 2020, they have almost no chance of being competitive for a full 22 week season, but I can see a good team forming from that squad if they stay together over the next 3-5 years and develop that squad of players successfully.

On the other side, I like the look of Geelong's list going into 2020, should be a strong contender for Top 4, and maybe a genuine flag contender if they can get some improvement from their middle tier players. But looking at their list in 3-5 years time, with their very best players all closer to the end than the middle of their careers, it's not the most desirable position to be in, thinking long term.

You're spot on about them needing to be in "win now" mode, especially when you take into account that not only do they have that many who are 27yo or older, but that all their very best players are currently 27yo+.

32- Higgins, Goldstein
31- Tarrant
28- Jacobs
27- Brown, Polec

Very little to get excited about in the currently 22-26yo group (hence only Dumont cracking the top 10 in the B&F), and by the time their currently 21yo and under group (who have shown promise, but are as yet almost all "unproven") are coming into their prime years, the likes of Higgins, Goldy and Tarrant are likely to be gone, and with Cunnington and Ziebell on what may be their last legs.

If on the other hand they managed to pick up a mid-career "superstar", say this year, that could propel them into genuine premiership contention, but of course they've failed at all their attempts to do that in recent years, and will presumably continue to do so, if it looks like they're really not going anywhere fast.

32- Higgins, Goldstein
31- Tarrant
28- Jacobs
27- Brown, Polec

Yeah I think North’s best bet for success is for a few of their top youngsters to break out from promising to genuinely good AFL players this season and take the comp by surprise.

If all or most of LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Zurhaar and Larkey take a step forward and their aging players don’t drop off too much then I can see North really making a good fist of it this season. Beyond 2020 is the concern for North.

You’d think after 20 years of being dire we’d learn.

We are typically slow, poorly skilled and lack endurance. Our back 6 is shithouse, our forward line is clearly good enough for finals but the amount of spuds we continue to select is alarming.

Who out of Dumont, MacMillan, Turner, McDonald, Pittard, Williams (who I like), Atley and Garner get a game for Richmond?

None. Yet most of them are walk up starts with Dumont incredibly coming 3rd in our bnf. Can you ever imagine a short slow wingman with average skills ever coming 3rd in a bnf?

Only us.

At least we have 2 first rounders next year.
Yet they beat Richmond. They also beat Collingwood, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. Its a weird game isn't it, or is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think North’s best bet for success is for a few of their top youngsters to break out from promising to genuinely good AFL players this season and take the comp by surprise.

If all or most of LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Zurhaar and Larkey take a step forward and their aging players don’t drop off too much then I can see North really making a good fist of it this season. Beyond 2020 is the concern for North.
Don't mess with the zurhar is tops, jury out on others

There are cost limitations but ideally the Grand Final is moved around. As I said, the NFL have an average of high 60-70K attendees for the Super Bowl which would be the base limit. Couldn’t it take longer to build Perth Stadium to make it a 70K capacity stadium? It’s a genuine question as I don’t know.

I think the whole corporate thing is a little annoying. I get why, but it’s still annoying as a supporter

Given the fact that the financial bonanza that the Grand Final provides directly benefits the 18 clubs the very idea of reducing capacity ( and revenue) is absurd. The shortfall in ticket sale ( competing club members) and corporate income would have to be made up by charging Super Bowl like prices to those fortunate enough to have access to a ticket. And those people would be fortunate indeed as there would be less tickets available.

Given the fact that the financial bonanza that the Grand Final provides directly benefits the 18 clubs the very idea of reducing capacity ( and revenue) is absurd. The shortfall in ticket sale ( competing club members) and corporate income would have to be made up by charging Super Bowl like prices to those fortunate enough to have access to a ticket. And those people would be fortunate indeed as there would be less tickets available.
Yeah I totally get why it is structured this way. If we as supporters recognise the inequity of having the Grand Final in Victoria and leave it at that until there is a viable solution then I think that’s OK. Some Victorians totally choose to ignore that this is a problem because of how many Premierships non-Victorians have won but I don’t think it is assessing the situation for what it is.

Rnd 22 West Coast, got flogged in the first qtr, still won. Rnd 23 Brisbane. Win. 1st Final Brisbane away. Could’ve easily been beaten, but had the balls to persist until we overan them. 2nd final, Geelong, 20 odd points down at half time, once again had the nerve to win. None of these games were anything but easy. Whereas you flogs had Hawthorn in last round at home and you still couldn’t win. Yes we were clearly the better team.

I think the Richmond vs West Coast game in the end likely decided who was going to win the premiership. And maybe Richmond's top 4 finish also cost Geelong a shot at the premiership as well. Geelong fought hard in the first half but were always going to get run over. West Coast finishing 5th cost them dearly just like Adelaide in 2016 = same thing. At least the Eagles won a premiership in 2018, Adelaide - don't get me started.

Charging Super Bowl level of prices would still be better than paying literally thousands for overinflated flights and hotels on top of the ticket

North Melbourne for me. Nearly all of the top 10 from their b&f will be turning 28+ this season (only Dumont is younger). Their mid aged players around 23-27 would have to be bottom 3 in the comp. Their kids are decent, but not good enough to make up for the other shortcomings of their list.
Yeah, the North list is pretty awful. They're in a bit of trouble I think. Where are the Goldsten, Higgins, Tarrant replacements? They found a few good young players in 2019 but will need a lot more. Can definitely see North stranded in the bottom 4 for a few years from 2021 onward.

In my opinion, this question needs more context.

Is the question "which list would you want least for 2020?" or is it "which list would you want least looking at the next 3-5 years?"

For example; I wouldn't want Gold Coast's list going into 2020, they have almost no chance of being competitive for a full 22 week season, but I can see a good team forming from that squad if they stay together over the next 3-5 years and develop that squad of players successfully.

On the other side, I like the look of Geelong's list going into 2020, should be a strong contender for Top 4, and maybe a genuine flag contender if they can get some improvement from their middle tier players. But looking at their list in 3-5 years time, with their very best players all closer to the end than the middle of their careers, it's not the most desirable position to be in, thinking long term.
Gold Coast are a revolving door of talent, reflecting wider cultural issues and lack of leadership. Many of their young guns will be good in 3-5 years time, but will they still be playing for the suns?

I think the Richmond vs West Coast game in the end likely decided who was going to win the premiership. And maybe Richmond's top 4 finish also cost Geelong a shot at the premiership as well. Geelong fought hard in the first half but were always going to get run over. West Coast finishing 5th cost them dearly just like Adelaide in 2016 = same thing. At least the Eagles won a premiership in 2018, Adelaide - don't get me started.
WC shot themselves in the foot by losing to Hawthorn at home in the last round which cost them a top 4 spot. They potentially could have played Brisbane away in a QF, then had an easy ride into the grand final.

WC shot themselves in the foot by losing to Hawthorn at home in the last round which cost them a top 4 spot. They potentially could have played Brisbane away in a QF, then had an easy ride into the grand final.

Would have much preferred the Eagles to the Tigers at the Gabba QF

32- Higgins, Goldstein
31- Tarrant
28- Jacobs
27- Brown, Polec

It’s no secret our strong points in our list are our 27 and older and our under 21s

We have some serious mature talent and nice up and comers

the 22-26 range is the issue but there’s still some handy role players there like Atley, Marley Williams, McDonald, Dumont, Garner, Turner, Ahern and Wood.
Ideally we get a free agent who is 26 to join that middle group and or trade one of our 2 first rounders for someone in that range

Our under 21s in Larkey, Zurhaar, LDU, Simpkin, Bonar, Curtis Taylor, Bailey Scott, Tarryn Thomas have me very excited

Back