Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawk fans are clinging to some hope. I get that. But the reality is that LDU has the attributes to be a star of the game and we are seeing it.

Newcombe is nowhere near as damaging. He gets the ball around the middle of the ground (doesn't really move much away from the square if you view his heat maps) with undamaging hand offs. His kicks into the forward 50 are hit and miss. He has average speed. I think he is a good solid player, but a couple of levels down.

LDU is a powerful beast. His clearance work is fantastic and he has power and speed bursting directly through the middle, rather than running out wide to try getting it forward. He is so much more damaging with the ball it's not even close.

Not to say Newcombe isn't a good player. He has had a great year. But no comparison between the 2.
They have a similar scoreboard impact, Newcombe has more meters gained on average.

Now LDU has better ball use at the moment and does win a bit more of it. I think at this stage he is clearly a better player. But the gap is no where near as massive as you are making out and he has had 1 pre season. It is fine to rate LDU higher but it is not clear where these players will be in 3 years time.

Hawk fans are clinging to some hope. I get that. But the reality is that LDU has the attributes to be a star of the game and we are seeing it.
Clinging to hope lmfao. I am more than happy for LDU to be a star, heck i am more than happy for him to go on and be the best player in the game.

But again a 5th year player should be starting to show these attributes

Yeah everything said about LDU is very fair. This guy just needs to maintain his footy and improve gradually over the next 3-4 years and I can see him being a top 10 mid in the game.

Happy to leave it at that regarding Duke and just bump him in a years time.

Didn't say that. But as a player, he looks a level above the others.

If you want to focus on how many seasons/games, well Hawthorn should be well ahead of the other 2 clubs given your 'youth' have played alot more football than those of the other clubs.

So, who knows, maybe with some club stability and a good coach, North may well have the best when their kids get more games into them.

What is this based off?

I'll save you the trouble since I've done the numbers. I've only included players who are as a maximum 24 by the end of 22. Only including players who have made more than a few senior appearances or if they were a first round pick. I've been kind enough to add Charlie Comben because the way the Norfies talk him up he may as well be the #1 pick.

Newcombe 28
Moore 51
Scrimshaw 66
Ward 13
Nash 49
C Mac 19
Morris 15
Morrison 77
Lewis 51
Day 32
Reeves 17
Maginess 18
Black 8
DGB 20
Butler 9
Jeka 7
Jiath 37
Kosi 36
Worpel 79

33.26 average games. Could have added players like Serong (2 games) or Brockman (11 games) to lower our average but I didn't want it to be too embarrassing. An average of 30.7 games with them just as an FYI.

North

Archer 3
Bonar 31
CCJ 19
Atu 20
Comben 1
Curtis 15
LDU 70
Dawson 3
JHF 16
Larkey 70
Lazarro 23
Mahony 41
Perez 18
Powell 30
Simpkin 115
Scott 54
Stevo 89
Spicer 6
Taylor 51
TT 57
Xerri 24
Young 42
Zuurhaar 82
Phillips 16

37.33 average games.

I'll check the Crows numbers.

Didn't say that. But as a player, he looks a level above the others.

If you want to focus on how many seasons/games, well Hawthorn should be well ahead of the other 2 clubs given your 'youth' have played alot more football than those of the other clubs.

So, who knows, maybe with some club stability and a good coach, North may well have the best when their kids get more games into them.

Of course he is doing better. He has 5 years in the AFL. It took him 4 years to get to the point where Newcombe now is, but yes, this year is ahead.

But I wouldnt say a level above Newcombe. Similar disposals, same goals, similar inside 50s, etc, but taking into account how poor the Roos are, LDU's performances are more impressive.

Though I wouldnt discount Newcombe because our midfield is pretty poor and he is basically carrying them every week.

Berry 34
Butts 42
Cook 11
Fogarty 57
Gollant 8
Hamill 38
Hately 27
Himmelberg 38
Hinge 20
Jones 57
McAsey 10
McHenry 48
McPherson 28
Murphy 75
Murray 28
Parnell 10
Pedlar 5
Rachele 13
Schoenberg 45
scholl 22
Soliga 15
Thilthorpe 24
Worrel 4

Crows with an average of 28 games played are the least experienced of the three which passes the eye test for me. I don't have quite as much knowledge of the list for the Crows as I would the Hawks/North just with more exposure in VIC. I'm not sure if I'm missing players. Haven't really discriminated against spuds like McAsey who will likely not play much of a part in Adelaide's future, I've just added anyone under the age of 24, that was a first round pick or had more than a single game played in their career and at least an appearance this season.

And the damage LDU does with the Roos hitting the scoreboard so routinely.

Yes those 8 goals a season is elite. Hopefully Jai can match that goal kicking prowess someday.

Oh wait...

Hasn’t Jai kicked 8 this season?

Most center clearances in a single game this season:

Davies-Uniacke - 8
Shiel - 8
Davies-Uniacke - 7
Davies-Uniacke - 6
Davies-Uniacke - 6
Cripps - 6
Why are we comparing a players thats 2 years older, went top 5 in the draft and had 5 AFL preseason to a players that has never been apart of elite programs growing up, went as a rookie selection and only had the one preseason.

This really says lot about the year Newcombe is having

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davies-Uniacke - 8
Shiel - 8
Davies-Uniacke - 7
Davies-Uniacke - 6
Davies-Uniacke - 6
Cripps - 6
Gee the cavalry disappeared pretty quickly

Scared Fear GIF by South Park

Why are we comparing a players thats 2 years older, went top 5 in the draft and had 5 AFL preseason to a players that has never been apart of elite programs growing up, went as a rookie selection and only had the one preseason.

You'll find that Hawthorn supporters are the ones trying to compare the two.

Newcombe is nowhere near as damaging. He gets the ball around the middle of the ground (doesn't really move much away from the square if you view his heat maps) with undamaging hand offs. His kicks into the forward 50 are hit and miss. He has average speed. I think he is a good solid player, but a couple of levels down.

LDU is a powerful beast. His clearance work is fantastic and he has power and speed bursting directly through the middle, rather than running out wide to try getting it forward. He is so much more damaging with the ball it's not even close.

Not to say Newcombe isn't a good player. He has had a great year. But no comparison between the 2.
Newcombe (from a stat earlier this year, would probably still ring true) is that he is the number one clearance to score player & the number two for kick efficiency inside 50 aka the hardest kick in footy.

He is quick and explosive, he is strong and breaks tackles, he is a very good mark above head and one on one, sticky hands. Lately as more an inside mid he’s been superb, winning it on the inside, getting out through driving his legs but also just as damaging going forward and has kicked some goals.

To say he’s a couple levels down with average speed shows your lack of knowledge.

And the fact is he’s had one pre season 😯

Or the quality of North's "better youth" if the only comparison worth making to Newcombe is a fifth year player. Where are the rest of the kids less than 2 seasons into their career the North posters could be stacking up against Newcombe, and why is LDU the only viable comparison? As pointed out by Rod Stoker, perhaps the two closest comparisons played in the reserves last weekend, one because he's not that good at the moment after going rapidly backwards from last year's form, and the other is considered by many in the media to be wanting to head back home at the end of his contract.

Really if North get a priority pick, we should just remove them from the poll, because that would be the AFL conceding their current crop of kids are actually not up to it and they are in desperate need of better youth.

Davies-Uniacke - 8
Shiel - 8
Davies-Uniacke - 7
Davies-Uniacke - 6
Davies-Uniacke - 6
Cripps - 6

He's a good player that LDU.

Need a few more of them.

You'll find that Hawthorn supporters are the ones trying to compare the two.

The coaches did in our last clash.

Head to head and the Duke came out on top. Comprehensively I might add. LDU saved some face after he got going with a junktime last quarter.

LDU is still young though, bound to have some inconsistencies from game to game and quarter to quarter. Will be good to see how he goes next season with a lot of confidence and another preseason.

Newcombe (from a stat earlier this year, would probably still ring true) is that he is the number one clearance to score player & the number two for kick efficiency inside 50 aka the hardest kick in footy.

He is quick and explosive, he is strong and breaks tackles, he is a very good mark above head and one on one, sticky hands. Lately as more an inside mid he’s been superb, winning it on the inside, getting out through driving his legs but also just as damaging going forward and has kicked some goals.

To say he’s a couple levels down with average speed shows your lack of knowledge.

And the fact is he’s had one pre season 😯
rubbish. Fake news!

Or the quality of North's "better youth" if the only comparison worth making to Newcombe is a fifth year player. Where are the rest of the kids less than 2 seasons into their career the North posters could be stacking up against Newcombe, and why is LDU the only viable comparison? As pointed out by Rod Stoker, perhaps the two closest comparisons played in the reserves last weekend, one because he's not that good at the moment after going rapidly backwards from last year's form, and the other is considered by many in the media to be wanting to head back home at the end of his contract.

Really if North get a priority pick, we should just remove them from the poll, because that would be the AFL conceding their current crop of kids are actually not up to it and they are in desperate need of better youth.
If you have a read, I brought up LDU being the best young player from both lists. That was it.
The Hawk fans felt a need to jump on it because that would mean he is better than your great white hope.
And so the comparisons commenced...

Last edited:
The coaches did in our last clash.

Head to head and the Duke came out on top. Comprehensively I might add. LDU saved some face after he got going with a junktime last quarter.

LDU is still young though, bound to have some inconsistencies from game to game and quarter to quarter. Will be good to see how he goes next season with a lot of confidence and another preseason.
As I've said, they're not in the same conversation, nor will they ever be. It's not a knock on Jai who has had a good second year.

Ldu is probably a top 5 player in the comp by next year, outside of him and Curtis under 23 it really is hard to get excited by anything else they have atm. Tarryn Thomas, Taylor and Powell 3 players I really liked going into the year for different reasons have really stagnated.

Simpkin,zurhaar,mckay and larkey are all good but to much is already expected of them. And does zurhaar move?

Havent included jhf for obvious reasons.

So some enquired on what a Comben was last week. Got through another game, hopefully gets a call up to the seniors for the last round.

I don't pretend to know who has the better youth as I don't follow the other sides closely at all.
But I do know that we're not nearly as bad as some would suggest.
Good, you won't be needing priority picks then that disadvantage other rebuilding teams!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back