Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the large majority of players taken in the first round, especially the top 12:turn out to be guns or solid senior footballers that are in the AFL system longer then 5 years. It would need to be structured bases, with incentives for games played, all Australians, Brownlow bnf finishes etc, I think if they allowed clubs to trade the players only after 3 years in the system, as it allows them to mature and develop like coffield did last at the saints, but I take your point that it would be difficult to set up, but probably get rid of more player managers, which could be a good thing.

Also agree with choosing only the state and not the club

Locking in players for 5 years is insane when you consider how much of a gamble the draft is. You'd need to structure their contracts so wages are predetermined, but that means someone like Jarrod Pickett would receive the same contract as someone like Matt Rowell.

I think 2 year contracts are fine, but players should not be able to choose which club they move to afterwards, only the state.

Objectively though, do you think your current youth can springboard you to a flag within 3 years like the aforementioned players did?

You had 5 future hall of famers in the 18-22 age bracket, I just don't see it with your current list.
Hindsight may prove me wrong, but you can only judge on the exposed form available.
In 2004-2005 bigfooty was full of threads saying Franklin would never be anything more than a flimsy flanker, that Mitchell was a poor man's Daniel Harris, Roughead was just a man-child who was too slow to make it and that Luke Hodge was the worst number 1 pick of the previous 10 years.

In 2004-2005 bigfooty was full of threads saying Franklin would never be anything more than a flimsy flanker, that Mitchell was a poor man's Daniel Harris, Roughead was just a man-child who was too slow to make it and that Luke Hodge was the worst number 1 pick of the previous 10 years.
You joined in 2006? ;)

This is just an observation from me as a fan but there is something less stressful about supporting a team that is building youth but not in finals contention than being a team expected to make the top 4 and push for a flag. Don't get me wrong, I want my club to be doing that, and as soon as possible, but I am not feeling stressed watching games like I was in the 2012 to 2018 era. I am just happy to see progression, and if we lose a few games by a few points, doesn't matter too much as the team is still learning.

I wonder if Hawthorn and Adelaide fans feel the same.

I feel bad any time we lose. Though last year I think it started to disappear as the season went on and it really looked like we simply couldnt be bothered trying for an entire game.

This year if we dont finish in the 10th to 14th range (or better) I would be very disappointed. As much as people love to s**t on our list, its actually a pretty good team. And if we get Gunston back by Round 5 or 6 then the only gap is the one left by Sicily, which Scrimshaw is looking to fill very nicely.

Hawthorn probably don't have enough to care about because they top up through trading picks out every year.

Hawthorn look like they'll have at least 9 players that are 22 yrs old and under playing in Round 1.

I feel bad any time we lose. Though last year I think it started to disappear as the season went on and it really looked like we simply couldnt be bothered trying for an entire game.

This year if we dont finish in the 10th to 14th range (or better) I would be very disappointed. As much as people love to sh*t on our list, its actually a pretty good team. And if we get Gunston back by Round 5 or 6 then the only gap is the one left by Sicily, which Scrimshaw is looking to fill very nicely.

Gunston won’t be playing until round 9 or 10 at the earliest. He’s listed as 6-7 weeks on our injury report...knowing our history with reporting injuries, he would be lucky to be back this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a position Victorian clubs don't have to deal with as much as non-Victorian. Even in their worst days teams like Carlton and Melbourne didn't have a mass exodus like teams like Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide etc have to deal with.

I suspect him being from SA really was a strong factor in Adelaide drafting Tilthorpe with their first pick as they don't need to worry about the go home factor when they are sh*te.
Oh please. We just had an exodus not seen at Fremantle, Sydney, West Coast and Port at least.

Got 3 examples where our medical staff lied to the AFL in the injury notifications ?
HODGEYROAD will be able to give you numerous examples...there would be many from the last few seasons, where a player was initially listed as a test or 1-2 weeks, only to end up missing 3+... Gunston is now listed as 4-6 weeks on the AFL injury list from afl.com.au..come back here in 4-6 weeks time and if he is playing round 7, I will admit I'm wrong. More chance he will be back post round 10.

So again, someone put their money where there mouth is

Who is the 5 future hall of famers on the current Hawks list in the 18-22 category?

It's easy to pot shot people in hindsight when their predictions go wrong, lets see the Hawks fans do their own version of it now.

HODGEYROAD will be able to give you numerous examples...there would be many from the last few seasons, where a player was initially listed as a test or 1-2 weeks, only to end up missing 3+... Gunston is now listed as 4-6 weeks on the AFL injury list from afl.com.au..come back here in 4-6 weeks time and if he is playing round 7, I will admit I'm wrong. More chance he will be back post round 10.

Think you'll find Wingard was listed as a test a week ago and on this weeks injury report he's listed as 2 weeks.

So again, someone put their money where there mouth is

Who is the 5 future hall of famers on the current Hawks list in the 18-22 category?

It's easy to pot shot people in hindsight when their predictions go wrong, lets see the Hawks fans do their own version of it now.
Why would you encourage anyone to do this, when you know as well as I do that it just turns into posters ripping into players who’ve got a handful of games to their name and who could go either way.

How about we just wait to see how they develop over the next 12-18 months.

Why would you encourage anyone to do this, when you know as well as I do that it just turns into posters ripping into players who’ve got a handful of games to their name and who could go either way.

How about we just wait to see how they develop over the next 12-18 months.

So Hawks fans are happy to crap on people from the 05 period due to long memories and scoff at their current youth being under rated, but not brave enough to do put forward a prediction themselves on who will turn out to be just as good?
Fair enough

So Hawks fans are happy to crap on people from the 05 period due to long memories and scoff at their current youth being under rated, but not brave enough to do put forward a prediction themselves on who will turn out to be just as good?
Fair enough
Seems you missed the point.

We know how the players of 2005 turned out, and we also know that they were potted as 18-21yr olds - as is the Bigfooty way.

How about we don’t jump the gun and put them up to be A graders, and instead we wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back