Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see Adelaide, North and Hawthorn as filling the bottom three on the ladder this year, with Essendon being a honourable mention.

Which one of these teams has the better young list to move them up the ladder quicker?

For me Hawthorn has the weaker youth.

If you read the "which list would you least want' thread, the topic of the youth from these 3 clubs is covered quite a lot. The consensus seems to be that Hawthorn is the weakest of the trio.

For comparisons sake, here are some names from our 22 and under contingent (didn't know how to define 'youth' so chose in accordance with the 22under22 thing):

Established/in the mix for Best 22:
James Worpel
Will Day
Jack Scrimshaw
Mitch Lewis
Changkuoth Jiath
Damon Greaves
Harry Morrison
Dylan Moore
Ollie Hanrahan
James Cousins

Likely to debut in 2021:
Conor Downie
Jacob Kochitzke
Tyler Brockman
Denver Grainger Barrass

Really tough but I would say North as while their youth in the forward and defensive lines are terrible, it is easy to imagine their young midfielders will be top class in a few years time. With Adelaide and Hawthorn they don't have an entire line sewed up like North do.

Really tough but I would say North as while their youth in the forward and defensive lines are terrible, it is easy to imagine their young midfielders will be top class in a few years time. With Adelaide and Hawthorn they don't have an entire line sewed up like North do.
DGB, Day, Scrimshaw, Greaves, Morrison and Jiath. Reckon defense is sorted for a while when you add Sicily, Hardwick and Impey.

our 23 and under team
lacking depth in KPD (however Corr is only 26 so we should be fine for now assuming mckay keeps improving)

FB - Young - Mckay - Hayden
HB - Perez - McGuinness - Bonar
C - Stephenson - Phillips - T.Powell
HF - Mahony - Comben - Thomas
FF - Taylor - Larkey - Zurhaar
R - Xerri - Davies-Uniacke - Simpkin
INT - Scott - Bosenavulagi - Lazzaro - Ford

Only DGB is a Key Position player in that group, and he might be more of an intercepting KPD rather than a key defender you put on the big bodied forwards.
Depends on what sort of system you want to play I guess.

Scrimshaw is capable both tall and small while not being a gorilla - and I'm not even sure they're required anymore. Played Sicily's role after he went down last year with aplomb and is 7cm taller than Sic.

At worst Kosi goes back after putting his hand up as a tall forward.

Depends on what sort of system you want to play I guess.

Scrimshaw is capable both tall and small while not being a gorilla - and I'm not even sure they're required anymore. Played Sicily's role after he went down last year with aplomb and is 7cm taller than Sic.

At worst Kosi goes back after putting his hand up as a tall forward.

It will be interesting to see what kind of weight DGB puts on as right now he is rather thin. Obviously he will put on weight but I wonder how much.

I think at the very least though DGB is going to be a great intercepting marking defender but if he can get over 90kg that gives him an extra string to his bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whichever team gets Jason Horne will come out on top. :(

Of the three teams listed.

- Hawthorn are not going to finish 18th so they won't get Horne.

- North Melbourne may finish 18th but oddly enough since they already have a very good younger brigade in the midfield they don't need Horne as much. I mean they would still pick him as he is too good to not pick but he doesn't address their massive issues elsewhere.

- Adelaide is the only club that may finish 18th but also desperately needs quality midfielders.

- North Melbourne may finish 18th but oddly enough since they already have a very good younger brigade in the midfield they don't need Horne as much. I mean they would still pick him as he is too good to not pick but he doesn't address their massive issues elsewhere.

- Adelaide is the only club that may finish 18th but also desperately needs quality midfielders.

Yeah, it looks like it’s going to be a s**t fight between North Melbourne and Adelaide as to who wants go select Horne with their first round pick. Either Adelaide will trade for the number one pick, or North Melbourne will get him if they finish last.

Yeah, it looks like it’s going to be a sh*t fight between North Melbourne and Adelaide as to who wants go select Horne with their first round pick. Either Adelaide will trade for the number one pick, or North Melbourne will get him if they finish last.

I am not sure who else is available in this years draft but if there is a key position player who is rated as the second best in the draft (especially if they are a forwad) it might actually be better for North to finish 17th. That way they can't agonise over the decision of taking the best available or the player who fits their needs more as the decision will be taken out of their hands.

This is just an observation from me as a fan but there is something less stressful about supporting a team that is building youth but not in finals contention than being a team expected to make the top 4 and push for a flag. Don't get me wrong, I want my club to be doing that, and as soon as possible, but I am not feeling stressed watching games like I was in the 2012 to 2018 era. I am just happy to see progression, and if we lose a few games by a few points, doesn't matter too much as the team is still learning.

I wonder if Hawthorn and Adelaide fans feel the same.

The biggest issue with a rebuild is the coaches. They want to get their contracts renewed and so they continue to play the more experienced players in an attempt to win as many games as they can, rather than play the kids and accept less wins on the board.

This is just an observation from me as a fan but there is something less stressful about supporting a team that is building youth but not in finals contention than being a team expected to make the top 4 and push for a flag. Don't get me wrong, I want my club to be doing that, and as soon as possible, but I am not feeling stressed watching games like I was in the 2012 to 2018 era. I am just happy to see progression, and if we lose a few games by a few points, doesn't matter too much as the team is still learning.

I wonder if Hawthorn and Adelaide fans feel the same.
A lot to be optimistic about if you’re a Hawks supporter.

Yeah, it looks like it’s going to be a sh*t fight between North Melbourne and Adelaide as to who wants go select Horne with their first round pick. Either Adelaide will trade for the number one pick, or North Melbourne will get him if they finish last.

Too many assumptions being made in general in regards to all of this IMO (by everyone). No guarantee that Horne will be the clear number 1 by year's end. Final year can often see rankings adjusted, players emerge, etc. Even more unpredictable is where teams will end up. No guarantee Adelaide, North and Hawthorn are bottom 3 - in fact, I would back Hawthorn to rise a bit. Last year, no one had Adelaide finishing last. Everyone was certain Gold Coast would win the spoon and many were asking if they would be on of the worst of all time/would they win a game, etc.

Plenty to play out still and the AFL has a habit of throwing up some surprises that were only obvious in retrospect.

I think we will add another mid and then look at targeting some younger KPP types through FA/trades over the next few years.

Horne isn't a certainty to go #1, there's 3 to 4 others that are just as highly rated, it's just that Horne got all the exposure last year given there was no football in Vic.

The bottom 3-4 are going to get some very elite talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back