Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i would make a few small changes to the team

FB - Jiath - McKay - Sholl
CHB - Day - Butts - Scrimshaw
C - Schoenberg - Thomas - Bramble
R - Reeves - Simpkin - Powell
HF - Stephenson - Koschitzke - Moore
F - Thilthorpe - Larkey - Zurhaar

IC - Davies-Uniacke - Grainger-Barrass - Phillips - Worpel

unlucky players(EMER) Murphy, Hamill, Lewis, Brockman

changes - Reeves is the best young ruck imo, Koschitzke, Bramble, Brockman and Lewis not mentioned in last group was a bit ordinary imo, theres some ok Adelaide youngsters, but not as many as you might think from just having a quick look for this quick exercise and you pretty much nailed the North part of the exercise.

11 - Hawthorn
9 - North Melb
6 - Adelaide (with a few more average than developing quality imo)
Lewis > Kossie

My best 22 for all 3 teams (No extra/unlucky players listed).
HB - Day - Butts - Scrimshaw
C - Stephenson - Simpkin - Bramble
R - Reeves - Davies-Uniacke - Worpel
HF - Thomas - Lewis - Moore

IC - Schoenberg - Powell - Phillips - Grainger-Barrass

Changes: Some positional changes, Lewis comes in, Fogarty goes out and i don't include Koschitzke. I don't include Jones either, Bramble comes in and so on.

9 - Hawthorn Hawks
9 - North Melbourne
4 - Adelaide Crows

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

changes - Reeves is the best young ruck imo, Koschitzke, Bramble, Brockman and Lewis not mentioned in last group was a bit ordinary imo, theres some ok Adelaide youngsters, but not as many as you might think from just having a quick look for this quick exercise and you pretty much nailed the North part of the exercise.

11 - Hawthorn
9 - North Melb

Bramble was a mistake on my part. Thought he was 24. I’d squeeze him into my team.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bramble I dare say would be better on the wing than Powell at the present.

Yet this will probably change in 2 years when Powell puts on some weight.

I'm just interested in how Phillips, Simpkin, Powell, LDU, Thomas, JHF, Stephenson, Anderson are all going to fit......Sure JHF and Stephenson may play HFF, but all of these players have egos, going to be hard for them to accept 40-20% midfield time a game just to get a rotation in. It is a good problem however.

Stephenson can play forward and wing. He won’t play much as a genuine Center Square mid.

Thomas can play anywhere. Forward, back, wing, genuine Center square mid.

Powell looked capable as a high half forward and as a wing. Phillips didn’t look as comfortable forward but still got better as he went along.

I’m assuming JHF will be a genuine forward for a while. LDU looks comfortable forward a time goes on other than his kicking for goal from a set shot.

Anderson will be 28 in Feb and out of contract at the end of the year. Can play forward too.

Heaps of mids doesn’t seem to phase the dogs. They have Bont, libba, McRae, Smith, Hunter, Daniel, Dunkley.

It will work.

11 - Hawthorn
9 - North Melb

Certainly unfortunate that the cut-off was 24 and not 22 for us in this exercise, seeing how we have that gap in that 22-24 group on our list at present.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stephenson can play forward and wing. He won’t play much as a genuine Center Square mid.

Powell looked capable as a high half forward and as a wing. Phillips didn’t look as comfortable forward but still got better as he went along.

I’m assuming JHF will be a genuine forward for a while. LDU looks comfortable forward a time goes on other than his kicking for goal from a set shot.

Anderson will be 28 in Feb and out of contract at the end of the year. Can play forward too.

Heaps of mids doesn’t seem to phase the dogs. They have Bont, libba, McRae, Smith, Hunter, Daniel, Dunkley.

It will work.

Most important thing is that they’re versatile. Arguably the least versatile are Simpkin & Phillips who are pure mids. The others can all play on the wing/flank. JHF & Thomas are “Strikers” to use a David King analogy. Powell can find the footy anywhere, Stephenson can play forward/wing very comfortably. LDU would be credited a lot more for his forward craft if he could kick a straight set shot (as you mentioned).

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

It will work.
I see Phillips as only a mid, he lacks goal sense, doesn't really have a leap, no crumbing pressure.

Powell I see as a mid, who you should keep in there. Thomas could be a very good tall offensive wingmen.

I think in 2025 your starting midfield rotation, will be Powell, LDU, JHF.

I don't think all of those dog's players are happy though. Visibly, Dunkley was annoyed with his lack of midfield time last year, it has not improved really. Treloar was visibly annoyed with not playing inside in the finals, and I think Baz see's himself as a geniune mid clearly. I could easily see Smith requesting a trade if in the next 3 years is not given more midfield time, Bont, Libba, Dunkley, Macrae, Treloar are all ahead of him and none are 30.

Lot of if's if your own midfields will be okay to sacrifice their midfield time and have a much more minor role, compared to some others.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I see Phillips as only a mid, he lacks goal sense, doesn't really have a leap, no crumbing pressure.

Powell I see as a mid, who you should keep in there. Thomas could be a very good tall offensive wingmen.

I think in 2025 your starting midfield rotation, will be Powell, LDU, JHF.

I don't think all of those dog's players are happy though. Visibly, Dunkley was annoyed with his lack of midfield time last year, it has not improved really. Treloar was visibly annoyed with not playing inside in the finals, and I think Baz see's himself as a geniune mid clearly. I could easily see Smith requesting a trade if in the next 3 years is not given more midfield time, Bont, Libba, Dunkley, Macrae, Treloar are all ahead of him and none are 30.

Lot of if's if your own midfields will be okay to sacrifice their midfield time and have a much more minor role, compared to some others.

I forgot Treloar lol. Too many to remember.

But the fact that you don’t have Simpkin as a starting midfielder (not saying I agree or not) who is age 23, a top 10 in the league Center clearance player, 27 disposal ave, in the top 3 is the reason our future midfield is so exciting.

And probably the clear answer to this thread.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crows side in 3 years time if drafting Callaghan and trading out for first round picks to bring back SA talent.

Jones ~ Butts ~ Doedee
Milera ~ McAsey ~ McPherson
Dawson ~ Crouch ~ Schoenberg
O'Brien ~ Pedlar ~ Callaghan
Cook ~ Lukosius ~ McHenry
Rankine ~ Thilthorpe ~ Fogarty
Keays ~ Berry ~ Sholl ~ Hamill

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Crows side in 3 years time if drafting Callaghan and trading out for first round picks to bring back SA talent.

Jones ~ Butts ~ Doedee
Milera ~ McAsey ~ McPherson
Dawson ~ Crouch ~ Schoenberg
O'Brien ~ Pedlar ~ Callaghan
Cook ~ Lukosius ~ McHenry
Rankine ~ Thilthorpe ~ Fogarty
Keays ~ Berry ~ Sholl ~ Hamill
How are trading up to get Callaghan?

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
And Gunston. So 5.
Personally like Callow , Dom, as he brings a different asset and strength to the table. Wanted him at the SAints.
But why would you play him down back :think:
He's a power forward who clunks them inside 50.Hawthorn have more intercepting defenders than anyone - your back 6 looks pretty sorted. A Callow could bring the ball to ground v a May or Lever , potentially out-mark a May or Lever or pack mark inside 50.
Growing up with Lockett and Loewe these lads don't grow on trees , and for me those types play forward of centre. Not sure what Mitchell has in mind , mind you.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
North will be very good very quickly.

Trading in Stephenson was a great call. LDU can be anything (thinking Petracca like). Simpkin is a workhorse and finds the footy. Tarryn Thomas is starting to show class. McKay and Larkey are going to be very good. They will obviously pick up the best available player at the draft in Horne-Francis. Powell is going to be a gun and Phillips could be anything. If they can lure 1 or 2 big names across through free agency or trading they can skyrocket up the ladder fairly quickly.

Cannot see them finishing bottom 3 next year.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Trading in Stephenson was a great call. LDU can be anything (thinking Petracca like). Simpkin is a workhorse and finds the footy. Tarryn Thomas is starting to show class. McKay and Larkey are going to be very good. They will obviously pick up the best available player at the draft in Horne-Francis. Powell is going to be a gun and Phillips could be anything. If they can lure 1 or 2 big names across through free agency or trading they can skyrocket up the ladder fairly quickly.

The B & F result is pretty promising. 6 out of top 10 are young.

Then throw in Edwards, CCJ and JHF on top of that.

1. Jy Simpkin – 143 (young)

2. Ben Cunnington – 117 (old)

3. Jack Ziebell – 114* (old)

4. Aaron Hall – 114 (old)

5. Luke Davies-Uniacke – 109 (young)

6. Ben McKay – 106 (young)

7. Cam Zurhaar – 95* (young)

8. Tarryn Thomas – 95 (young)

9. Kayne Turner – 92 (medium)

10. Nick Larkey – 90 (young)

Ah, nothing like having a young team overrated.

Or go ok next year, fall apart a bit when Goldstein, Cunnington and Ziebell go and then start climbing again

I would be very surprised if they weren't absolute garbage next year. Cunnington, Goldstien and Ziebell didn't exactly save them from being garbage this year.

There is certainly talent there, but it's going to take a couple of years to materialise into something as they're really going to be waiting on Phillips/JUH + others they've drafted in 2019-2020 to get towards 50 games to really lift them. This whole talk of North bouncing quickly is just setting them up to fail imho.

It's worth remembering we're all at the absolute bottom for a reason, and it's not because we're brimming with talent. Nor does talent save teams on their own, not without time being given to get it up to speed.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would be very surprised if they weren't absolute garbage next year. Cunnington, Goldstien and Ziebell didn't exactly save them from being garbage this year.

There is certainly talent there, but it's going to take a couple of years to materialise into something as they're really going to be waiting on Phillips/JUH + others they've drafted in 2019-2020 to get towards 50 games to really lift them. This whole talk of North bouncing quickly is just setting them up to fail imho.

Cunnington is the most important one. Makes the young mids a lot better. Without him (injury, health & personal in 2021), we aren’t much chop yet.

Very interested to see how we go if he gets 22 games in 2022.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

There is certainly talent there, but it's going to take a couple of years to materialise into something. This whole talk of North bouncing quickly is just setting them up to fail imho.
They lost their first 9 and last 4. There was a middle patch of the season where they looked a half decent team. If they can build on that and play like their midseason form i can see them jumping to 8-9 wins

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally like Callow , Dom, as he brings a different asset and strength to the table. Wanted him at the SAints.
But why would you play him down back :think:
He's a power forward who clunks them inside 50.Hawthorn have more intercepting defenders than anyone - your back 6 looks pretty sorted. A Callow could bring the ball to ground v a May or Lever , potentially out-mark a May or Lever or pack mark inside 50.
Growing up with Lockett and Loewe these lads don't grow on trees , and for me those types play forward of centre. Not sure what Mitchell has in mind , mind you.
If Callow played as a forward, he's capable of doing that as you said, strong one on one and hands like vice. But for me we need a key defender, whether we draft one and Callow pushes ahead of a forward or Callow is kept as a defender and Sam persues in developing him that way.

Callow has a pretty nice amount of speed in a straight line with elite capabilities as a one on one defender and reading the ball. Also with his hands being really good, he could be either imho.

If Callow played as a forward, he's capable of doing that as you said, strong one on one and hands like vice. But for me we need a key defender, whether we draft one and Callow pushes ahead of a forward or Callow is kept as a defender and Sam persues in developing him that way.

Callow has a pretty nice amount of speed in a straight line with elite capabilities as a one on one defender and reading the ball. Also with his hands being really good, he could be either imho.
Callow is a late mid season rookie pick, who is behind at least 3 others as a key forward and who’s shown very little at all in the defensive end. What’s he played, one game there at Box Hill? Sure, you can hypothesize that he might turn into a defender based on Mitchell’s comment that he’d like to explore him more at that end, but you’ve really got to stop making out like he’s shown “elite attributes as a one on one defender”, when he simply hasn’t.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Callow is a late mid season rookie pick, who is behind at least 3 others as a key forward and who’s shown very little at all in the defensive end. What’s he played, one game there at Box Hill? Sure, you can hypothesize that he might turn into a defender based on Mitchell’s comment that he’d like to explore him more at that end, but you’ve really got to stop making out like he’s shown “elite attributes as a one on one defender”, when he simply hasn’t.
SYL. Callow is elite one on one, it's as easy and simple as that. The reason he was put down into defense in that last game and by SMitch's reports was because they wanted to explore things and in that game Sam also stated that he had liked what he did in defense and that he showed good signs, from the reports aswell that Sam was a fan of his ability to read the play to go with his strong set of hands and his smart use of his body (this all goes well as a forward and defender, because winning a one on one contest, having good hands and reading the flight of the footy or where it will go and so on is beneficial at both ends.)

SYL. Callow is elite one on one, it's as easy and simple as that. The reason he was put down into defense in that last game and by SMitch's reports was because they wanted to explore things and in that game Sam also stated that he had liked what he did in defense and that he showed good signs, from the reports aswell that Sam was a fan of his ability to read the play to go with his strong set of hands and his smart use of his body (this all goes well as a forward and defender, because winning a one on one contest, having good hands and reading the flight of the footy or where it will go and so on is beneficial at both ends.)
It wasn’t even a Box Hill game on reflection, it was a scrimmage match made up of 3 clubs AFL listed players and Mitchell simply said this… “He went back late in the game and showed something, maybe something to explore in the future.”

Somehow you’ve grown that into “he’s an elite one on one defender”.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Fascinated how a guy who was overlooked in the national & rookie draft, that hasn't played a single AFL game, can be considered "elite one on one".

This is a group of guys who are good-elite one on one. Callow isn't.

1635743985143.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back