Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It wasn’t even a Box Hill game on reflection, it was a scrimmage match made up of 3 clubs AFL listed players and Mitchell simply said this… “He went back late in the game and showed something, maybe something to explore in the future.”

Somehow you’ve grown that into “he’s an elite one on one defender”.
There's been comments from people who watched the game. It's also not just that game, because he's clearly played as a defender in the past (Tassie level) and i he may of floated back a few times for Norwood.

Sam did say that and i said that too. But there was also reports of Sam being extra happy about what he saw (which Sam didn't say).

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fascinated how a guy who was overlooked in the national & rookie draft, that hasn't played a single AFL game, can be considered "elite one on one".

This is a group of guys who are good-elite one on one. Callow isn't.

View attachment 1272106
Love how you said all them but Sam Frost's contested defensive loss % is lower than all of them :D

Anyway nah Callow is, but it's hard to show all this when you don't play AFL yet.

If you chucked Callow in a one on one with anyone he'd win more than he'd lose, just natural with someone that big and someone who knows how to use it aswell as having good hands where you're a one grab player.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Love how you said all them but Sam Frost's contested defensive loss % is lower than all of them :D

Anyway nah Callow is, but it's hard to show all this when you don't play AFL yet.

If you chucked Callow in a one on one with anyone he'd win more than he'd lose, just natural with someone that big and someone who knows how to use it aswell as having good hands where you're a one grab player.

Would Callow beat any of that group (+Frosty) 1 on 1?

There's been comments from people who watched the game. It's also not just that game, because he's clearly played as a defender in the past (Tassie level) and i he may of floated back a few times for Norwood.

Sam did say that and i said that too. But there was also reports of Sam being extra happy about what he saw (which Sam didn't say).
Comments from people who watched the game do not confirm that he’s “elite one on one”.
Nor does you writing “Sam being extra happy”.

He played some underage football as a defender and he “went back late” in a scrimmage match and showed enough that Mitchell might throw him there again. That’s it.
That’s all that can be confirmed, and anything more than that is your usual hyperbole.

Jesus. Just stop.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Comments from people who watched the game do not confirm that he’s “elite one on one”.
Nor does you writing “Sam being extra happy”.

He played some underage football as a defender and he “went back late” in a scrimmage match and showed enough that Mitchell might throw him there again. That’s it.
That’s all that can be confirmed, and anything more than that is your usual hyperbole.
Or the fact people who actually saw him go down back (not Sam) thought he looked good and people who also watched him at Norwood and TSL in Tassie.

Or the fact people who actually saw him go down back (not Sam) thought he looked good and people who also watched him at Norwood and TSL in Tassie.
Do you understand the difference between “showing something” or “looking good” in a role in a scrimmage and “being an elite one on one defender who would win more contests than he would lose, against anyone”?

Your posts about a guy who’s not even debuted are embarrassing.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you understand the difference between “showing something” or “looking good” in a role in a scrimmage and “being an elite one on one defender who would win more contests than he would lose, against anyone”?

Your posts about a guy who’s not even debuted are embarrassing.
Yes the difference is huge, but my opinion doesn't change. I do genuinely think someone of Callows body and knowing how to use said body would beat someone more times than they'd lose. Out of 10. It's not saying he'd be him 10 times. But beating him more often than not whether that's 6 to 4 or 5 to 5 with a tie breaker and winning that.

Lol, you wouldn't of even had a single clue who Callow was prior to the pre season when we were having him trial with us.
Dom, I knew who he was before he got overlooked by every club in the comp in the draft, and then again in the rookie draft.

Fact is, if he was even a third of the player you make him out to be he would’ve been drafted last year.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dom, I knew who he was before he got overlooked by every club in the comp in the draft, and then again in the rookie draft.

Fact is, if he was even a third of the player you make him out to be he would’ve been drafted last year.
I've been watching him play since his under 16s in Tassie. Maybe that's playing on my bias. But it's always been that he'd be rarely beaten, one grab player who knew how to take advantage of having a bigger body.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You also claimed James Cousins had the capability of exploding like Darcy Parish. A guy who couldn't kick, had really poor composure and was depth in the worst midfield in the comp.

Your view on players isn't just bias, it's out of touch.
I never said he would or even could at that level, some port fan said he could do an amon (clearly a s**t comparison due to their opposite natures) but what i said was that Cousins could become atleast a best 22 player for us or a little better, he wasn't a great kick, his composure was poor and was in and out of the side. But his ball winning abilities, contested and uncontested and versatility to go with a pretty decent amount of speed and strenth and so on. If he was a starting midfielder, he'd be able to win the ball and distribute it, his hands are pretty good.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been watching him play since his under 16s in Tassie. Maybe that's playing on my bias. But it's always been that he'd be rarely beaten, one grab player who knew how to take advantage of having a bigger body.
Don't AFL talent scouts get down to Tassie to watch these games. Seems 18 clubs completely missed the boat on Callow :rolleyes:

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I never said he would or even could at that level, some port fan said he could do an amon (clearly a sh*t comparison due to their opposite natures) but what i said was that Cousins could become atleast a best 22 player for us or a little better, he wasn't a great kick, his composure was poor and was in and out of the side. But his ball winning abilities, contested and uncontested and versatility to go with a pretty decent amount of speed and strenth and so on. If he was a starting midfielder, he'd be able to win the ball and distribute it, his hands are pretty good.
Hawks coaching staff must be idiots then?

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't AFL talent scouts get down to Tassie to watch these games. Seems 18 clubs completely missed the boat on Callow :rolleyes:
They don't rate the tassie leagues highly at all, like at all. You'd be lucky to have half the clubs actually down at the games compared to any other state league. They also don't rate big bodied players or bigger more developed players as highly as under developed because it's harder to gauge what's talent and what's buildable and who has a higher ceiling.

For example, Mac Andrew is super skinny and doing freakish things and has a high ass ceiling, but if he was already built out it'd be a different story, obviously his talent levels are a dayum amount higher than alot of people but still.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lewis > Kossie

My best 22 for all 3 teams (No extra/unlucky players listed).
FB - Jiath - McKay - Sholl
HB - Day - Butts - Scrimshaw
C - Stephenson - Simpkin - Bramble
R - Reeves - Davies-Uniacke - Worpel
HF - Thomas - Lewis - Moore
F - Thilthorpe - Larkey - Zurhaar

IC - Schoenberg - Powell - Phillips - Grainger-Barrass

Changes: Some positional changes, Lewis comes in, Fogarty goes out and i don't include Koschitzke. I don't include Jones either, Bramble comes in and so on.

9 - Hawthorn Hawks
9 - North Melbourne
4 - Adelaide Crows

Kosi had a considerably better year than Thilthorpe in 2021, though its certainly possible Thilthorpe will have a better year than Kosi in 2022.

Im hoping we see another shoot out between them next year. That was an incredible game. We need more young key forwards getting a heap of the ball and kicking bags.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Kosi had a considerably better year than Thilthorpe in 2021, though its certainly possible Thilthorpe will have a better year than Kosi in 2022.

Im hoping we see another shoot out between them next year. That was an incredible game. We need more young key forwards getting a heap of the ball and kicking bags.
I have Thilthorpe as i see him as the better talent but Kosi could be anything, Set shot fix would be a great start.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have Thilthorpe as i see him as the better talent but Kosi could be anything, Set shot fix would be a great start.

I think his biggest issue is his kicking action sees him not able to kick more than about 40 to 45 metres. For a big guy that is pretty terrible.

But he was a defender until January this year. Hopefully he spends the pre-season with a goal kicking coach and nails down a good action.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think his biggest issue is his kicking action sees him not able to kick more than about 40 to 45 metres. For a big guy that is pretty terrible.

But he was a defender until January this year. Hopefully he spends the pre-season with a goal kicking coach and nails down a good action.
Everyone will laugh, can guarantee it. But he looks like an athletic version of Dunstall, a shorter (short for a KPF nowadays), crash and bash type key forward where i see him as a similar player, obv not at the calibre or the next version of, just similar.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Get Dunstall/Breust to teach him setshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back