Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
The age "issue" for both Adelaide and Hawthorn's midfields are overstated.

Both are in a similar position where their best players are still in their peak years, and both have only one quality established younger midfielder - currently, which I think will change over this season with Schoenberg and Nash/Newcombe getting more game time.

Mitchell - 28
Wingard - 28
JOM - 27 (will be 28 when the season starts)
Worpel - 23
Nash - 23
Newcombe - 20

Shiels will not play in the middle, and hasn't been there consistently for a while now. McEvoy will be phased out.

Sloane - 31 (will be 32 when the season starts)
Laird - 28
Crouch - 26
Keays - 24 (will be 25 when the season starts)
Schoenberg - 20 (will be 21 when the season starts)

Personally I really like Dawson and am interested to see whether he gets run through the middle. He's a big unit and has an elite kick. He could become a real weapon.

Last edited:
Larkey that kicked 40 goals one out in he worst team in the comp as a 22/23 year old? That has kicked more bags of 5 than most of the modern greats at the same age?

You’re right, probably shouldn’t be on the list at all.

As for Mckay vs DGB, im pretty confident that most teams would take the known quantity in 23 year old Mckay vs the unknown of DGB. DGB might turn out a gun, he might turn into Lachy Hansen. Mckay is already a gun and getting better havingnplayed only 37 games and already taking and beating the best key forwards in the comp.

As things stand, north have the best key forward (Larkey), best key defender (Mckay)
and best mid (Simpkin) under 24, than the 2 other clubs.
Hey, you leave the great Lachie Hansen out of this. We aren’t worthy of him...

For someone that admits they don’t watch much of the crows, you sure do have an opinion on them like you do.

More dribble than the Harlem globetrotters
Mate, you literally claimed that Adelaide's midfield was better than Carlton's yesterday. Sit down.

The age "issue" for both Adelaide and Hawthorn's midfields are overstated.

Both are in a similar position where their best players are still in their peak years, and both have only one quality established younger midfielder - currently, which I think will change over this season with Schoenberg and Nash/Newcombe getting more game time.

Mitchell - 28
Wingard - 28
JOM - 27 (will be 28 when the season starts)
Worpel - 23
Nash - 23
Newcombe - 20

Shiels will not play in the middle, and hasn't been there consistently for a while now. McEvoy will be phased out.

Sloane - 31 (will be 32 when the season starts)
Laird - 28
Crouch - 26
Keays - 24 (will be 25 when the season starts)
Schoenberg - 20 (will be 21 when the season starts)

Personally I really like Dawson and an interested to see whether he gets run through the middle. He's a big unit and has an elite kick. He could become a real weapon.
Yeah, my comment regarding them having more aged players than I thought was based on their list being the youngest in the comp, and I really thought Sloane was still around 29 and that both Smith and Seedsman were much younger than they are.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Far higher than Worpel? Who has already won a BnF.

Lets be a little realistic. He had a great year in 2019 but there was no Mitchell who missed with an acl and Henderson came second to give context to the breadth of talent on the list at the time. He's really been underwhelming since. I'd guess he has the tool set to be a starting mid in Mitchells place but lacks the tools to impact as more of a supporting player.

Their stats are very close as is but Worpel is currently on a plateau trajectory while Schoenberg is on an upward trajectory. Until you see that stagnation from Schoenberg or reversal from Worpel, you'd have be more excited about Harry atm who is showing glimpses of top 20 mid potential.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Lets be a little realistic. He had a great year in 2019 but there was no Mitchell who missed with an acl and Henderson came second to give context to the breadth of talent on the list at the time. He's really been underwhelming since. I'd guess he has the tool set to be a starting mid in Mitchells place but lacks the tools to impact as more of a supporting player.

Their stats are very close as is but Worpel is currently on a plateau trajectory while Schoenberg is on an upward trajectory. Until you see that stagnation from Schoenberg or reversal from Worpel, you'd have be more excited about Harry atm who is showing glimpses of top 20 mid potential.

Refer to my previous posts in this thread. I am more than realistic when it comes to Worpel.

What is unrealistic is to suggest that Schoenberg has "far higher" potential than someone who, at the same age, showed he was already a quality midfielder and had won a BnF. He may well become a better player in the long run.

Last edited:
Schoenberg is going to be a seriously good footballer. IMO far higher ceiling then any of the Hawthorn mids (that have actually played).

As bullish as I am about North mids, he gave them a lesson in work rate in round 23.
Love how you always bring it back to Hawthorn. 🥳

What’s the thread title?

Stop being so sensitive.
I'm not sensitive, I just said I love that you bring it back to Hawthorn. I admire your devotion to the cause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I’m yet to hear your argument of why it’s not. Walsh is definitely the best out of all of it but then Adelaide’s mids are better
Drewie, please.

‘carried on’

Trying to teach a simpleton how to do football would be more accurate.

If their midfield is old, yours is ancient.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Username checks out

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
‘carried on’

Trying to teach a simpleton how to do football would be more accurate.

If their midfield is old, yours is ancient.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sloane is older than our entire midfield.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Adelaide has 1 actually old midfielder, that being Sloane. But he's nowhere near our best, just look at our BnF. He was drawn 10th with McHenry, our top 2 were Keays and Laird both who have comfortably overtaken him at this point. If Schoenberg played the entire year in midfield he probably would've polled higher also. I don't think age is a big problem with our midfield if our arguably 3 best currently are only 28, 24 and 20.
He was drawn 10th cause he was injured alot. Laird isn’t old nor young. Keays is a prime aged player and you have Smith who’s played a fair bit of wing. Seedsman is also 30. Dawson is also prime age.

These are your best mids. Outside of Schoenberg

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

You lost me at Mitchell missed with an ACL haha

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Refer to my previous posts in this thread. I am more than realistic when it comes to Worpel.

What is unrealistic is to suggest that Schoenberg has "far higher" potential than someone who, at the same age, showed he was already a quality midfielder and had won a BnF. He may well become a better player in the long run.
Schoenberg averaged 18 touches a game this year in his second year Worpel’s lowest game was 19 touches and he averaged 26.5 touches. Clearances (139-67) and contested possessions (265-163) also well in favour of Worps.

The big change is the role Worps has been given since 2019. Whenever he’s given the opportunity he’s taken it.

Obviously Schoenberg has time to improve but he’s got a way to go. And might well end up the better player but comparing 2nd years there is no contest.

Wazzy36

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was drawn 10th cause he was injured alot. Laird isn’t old nor young. Keays is a prime aged player and you have Smith who’s played a fair bit of wing. Seedsman is also 30. Dawson is also prime age.

These are your best mids. Outside of Schoenberg
Smith isn't a midfielder and if you're bringing wings into it then Sholl also has to be included. Sure seedsman is old but with a 21 and 24 year old coming up to be the main wingers it still isnt a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back