Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentioned Berry. McHenry is a handy player aswell fun to watch his little fly annoy the opposition at all cost mantra.
Both hard nuts.

Same with Pedlar who I'm really looking forward to once he gets over his injury issues as he also has a touch of class.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Both hard nuts.

Same with Pedlar who I'm really looking forward to once he gets over his injury issues as he also has a touch of class.
Pedlar is the one that excites me. Hard as nails but has the class the others don’t. Bit like Schoenberg in that sense. Reminds me of Sloane.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Goater is a poor kick? Another myth that will be dispelled pretty rapidly.

The lack of game time at u/18 level really has lent itself to some whopping myths in the last 2 drafts.

Will Phillips apparently couldn't kick either. :drunk: He may be the best kick over 40m at the club.
This is the issue in forming an opinion on an u18 player, purely based on a 90 second reel.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry mate but wingers are definitely mids. If you think of mids in the orientation you're thinking of then full forward is a midfielder because they're in the narrow corridor that runs down the middle. The midfield is the space between the 50s and wingers are definitely a part of that.

Agree to disagree mate. I see a midfielder as someone who roams the field, going from stoppage to stoppage hunting the ball, which is something a winger does not do. I think you might be a bit deceived by the name ‘midfield.’ Midfielder’s don’t operate solely between the two 50’s, they roam the ground hunting the ball.

Rover meaning : a player not restricted to a particular position on the field.

Ruck-rover meaning : a fast and agile player who combines the roles of ruckman and rover.

Ruckman meaning : a player with no fixed position who follows the play.

The way the game is played nowadays, I would group a winger closer to a HB flanker than a midfielder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Agree to disagree mate. I see a midfielder as someone who roams the field, going from stoppage to stoppage hunting the ball, which is something a winger does not do. I think you might be a bit deceived by the name ‘midfield.’ Midfielder’s don’t operate solely between the two 50’s, they roam the ground hunting the ball.

Rover meaning : a player not restricted to a particular position on the field.

The way the game is played nowadays, I would group a winger closer to a HB flanker than a midfielder.

Wingmen are part of the midfield unit.

When teams train the wingmen train with the midfield unit.

Wingmen these days typically play out on a wing and roll through the middle - Sidebottom, Treloar, Walsh, Duncan, Guthrie, Zerrett, J. Kelly, T. Kelly, etc etc etc. So many players do it now.

But then again, maybe you're just a head of the whole entire game with your definitions.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wingmen are part of the midfield unit.

When teams train the wingmen train with the midfield unit.

Wingmen these days typically play out on a wing and roll through the middle - Sidebottom, Treloar, Walsh, Duncan, Guthrie, Zerrett, J. Kelly, T. Kelly, etc etc etc. So many players do it now.

But then again, maybe you're just a head of the whole entire game with your definitions.

I think the players you mentioned are versatile players who can play multiple positions. Players like Martin, Petracca, Dangerfield and Bont can play half forward as well. Do we include half forward’s in the midfield as well? They’re all different positions ffs.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I think the players you mentioned are versatile players who can play multiple positions. Players like Martin, Petracca, Dangerfield and Bont can play half forward as well. Do we include half forward’s in the midfield as well? They’re all different positions ffs.

No, because the HFF position is part of the forward unit.

Just like how the wingmen are part of the midfield unit.

Last edited:
Seems to have gone quiet for 12 hours.
Intermission perhaps?
Don’t forget those vitamins. You want to all be at your best for the next session.

Dominic, keep working on those ‘lols’
If we want more lols maybe we should bring Collingwood’s list into the discussion, eh Vin? 😇

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No, because the HFF position is part of the forward unit.

Just like how the wingmen are part of the midfield unit.

Wingers are in a group with the centre. The 3 midfielders are in their own group. They’re not restricted to an area of the ground, they roam the whole ground. Go look at a team sheet and look where the wingers are and where the followers are positioned.

Wingers are in a group with the centre. The 3 midfielders are in their own group. They’re not restricted to an area of the ground, they roam the whole ground. Go look at a team sheet and look where the wingers are and where the followers are positioned.

When Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Brad Sewell and Will Langford lined up on the wing at centre bounces, which happened regularly, were they no longer playing as midfielders?

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Brad Sewell and Will Langford lined up on the wing at centre bounces, which happened regularly, were they no longer playing as midfielders?

The mids are the players inside the centre square. The wings are the players outside the square. They would have been rotating, like they often do, just like how some mids rotate forward.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I've legitimately never seen someone argue that a winger is not a midfielder before, let alone so condescendingly as to reference under 10s and to portray the notion that it is a commonly held view.
Even now the common term is inside midfielders and outside midfielders. Wingers are just outside mids. That actual term still calls them a midfielder. It is a bizarre to say they aren't mids

Imagine Isaac Smith not being classed as a mid

Both hard nuts.

Given you guys picked him over another SA midfielder in Tom Powell, who certainly looks the goods at AFL level, it will be interesting to see how Pedlar goes.

Most everyone is really excited about him, could be real class if he can overcome his somewhat injury riddled beginning to his career. Im hopeful.

I know nothing about the kid apart from the fact you took him over Powell.

What's the play like - from you saying "class" I'm thinking smooth outside mid?

Given you guys picked him over another SA midfielder in Tom Powell, who certainly looks the goods at AFL level, it will be interesting to see how Pedlar goes.
Indeed.

Think both will be decent players.

Talk the kids down all you want. In our 1st year of a rebuild and there's something to work with.
Let's chat end of the season.
Isn't this your second year?

Besides, I wasn’t talking down your kids, I just don’t know if you have any that will play in key positions at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back