Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't believe you didn't take Logan MacDonald. Imagine structuring your forward line around MacDonald and Larkey.

Midfielders are dime a dozen. We played a pick 41 last night who looked right at home at AFL level.
It is even more baffling when 12 months out it was known this past years draft was midfield heavy at the top so they were locking themselves in to two more years of mid's by taking Phillips.

I've said this before, I'm not the most displeased that we didn't take McDonald, we just have a poorly utilised + young forward line with players like Larkey, Zurhaar, first year player Paul Curtis alongside JHF and Thomas going for stints in there.

I'm more disappointed we didn't take DGB, a player who towelled McDonald in his draft year. I think in the modern game having a great backline is more important than a great forwardline. Melbourne is a great example of this.
In 3 years MacDonald will be a top 5 key forward in the competition. You bank those guys when you get the chance.

In 2015 we took Weitering, McKay, Curnow and Silvagni. In hindsight that looks pretty wise. For the first few years it was hard while they were developing. We might have won more games in 16, 17 and 18 if we went for mids but long term they key position players have set us up.

Recruiting error

In 3 years MacDonald will be a top 5 key forward in the competition. You bank those guys when you get the chance.

In 2015 we took Weitering, McKay, Curnow and Silvagni. In hindsight that looks pretty wise. For the first few years it was hard while they were developing. We might have won more games in 16, 17 and 18 if we went for mids but long term they key position players have set us up.

Recruiting error
The problem is we're banking on just players who might not make it like Comben and McGuinness (who apparently grew like 5cm as a 22 year old and is like 80kgs lol).

It's unreliable, it's not looking good and even an optimist could tell you that as well. With Larkey probably out we're going to send Comben to the wolves next week against a thriving Fremantle side at Optus.

We were sold on Powell who played as an inside mid in his 2020 SANFL year as our second selection. So the question is asked, why did we select Phillips. I'm yet to see what niche he has at the club.

I'm no longer sold on Noble as well, horrendous structures, positioning, selections and we still try to play offensive when the opposition have momentum which is why they'll kick 6+ in a row at times.

The problem is we're banking on just players who might not make it like Comben and McGuinness (who apparently grew like 5cm as a 22 year old and is like 80kgs lol).

It's unreliable, it's not looking good and even an optimist could tell you that as well. With Larkey probably out we're going to send Comben to the wolves next week against a thriving Fremantle side at Optus.

We were sold on Powell who played as an inside mid in his 2020 SANFL year as our second selection. So the question is asked, why did we select Phillips. I'm yet to see what niche he has at the club.

I'm no longer sold on Noble as well, horrendous structures, positioning, selections and we still try to play offensive when the opposition have momentum which is why they'll kick 6+ in a row at times.

I don't think it was a mis-step at all. Your midfield group was entirely reliant on Cunnington's dominance inside (who is a massive, massive loss - fingers crossed he recovers and can make it back to AFL too)

Viney (#12, 2012)
Petracca (#2, 2014)
Brayshaw (#3, 2014)
Gawn (#34, 2014)
Oliver (#4, 2015)

Did Melbourne do the wrong thing with their recruiting 2014-15? They spent everything on the midfield and rose up the ladder 2-3 years later as they brought in May and Lever in defence, and rounded out the peripheral positions, along with a star young ruck (Jackson) five years after Gawn.

North:
Simpkin (#12, 2016)
LDU (#4, 2017)
Thomas (#8, 2018)
Phillips (#3, 2020)
JHF (#1, 2021)

Another season or two and you'd expect these players to be leading North up the ladder. The key will be if you can fill the other roles (especially ruck and either KPF/KPD). You will get at least one more elite pick this year - I don't think anyone expected North to be playing finals this year - even another midfielder might not be a mistake

Even the Hawthorn three-peat team (obvious bias, but IMO comfortably the best collection of talent in one side) - Hodge (01, Mitchell (01) before Franklin (04), Roughead (04), Lewis (04). Hawks chose KPP (Thorpe, Dowler) over alternatives (Selwood, Ryder), but it wasn't until they filled other key roles (Burgoyne, Gibson, then Lake) that they became the team they did.

I STILL don't want to trade Jack Scrimshaw and Dylan Moore for Tarryn Thomas.

For the record, Dylan Moores current averages this season...

View attachment 1388617

Hahaha stats don’t lie but supporters do!! I wouldnt trade Thomas for either of them let alone both.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I couldn't believe you didn't take Logan MacDonald. Imagine structuring your forward line around MacDonald and Larkey.

Midfielders are dime a dozen. We played a pick 41 last night who looked right at home at AFL level.
While McDonald would have been handy, the one which most opposition supporters tend to forget is is overpassing Denver granger barrass and how important he would be considering our lack of key defenders in hindsight

I have seen nothing from MacDonald yet that puts him beyond a 'decent player' projection.

The North midfield will be very strong in around 2 years.

Adelaide probably have the best quality seniors which will allow the kids to come through more smoothly you would think.

Hawks have a great gameplan and are still a fairly old team. Wouldn't consider them 'youthful' yet.

Adelaide probably have the best quality seniors which will allow the kids to come through more smoothly you would think.

Hawks have a great gameplan and are still a fairly old team. Wouldn't consider them 'youthful' yet.

Huh?

More than half of our available best 22 is 23 and under.

HAW:

B Jiath DGB ___
HB Day ___ Scrimshaw

C Ward Newcombe Morrison
R Reeves/Lynch ___ Worpel

HF McDonald Kosi Moore
F _ Lewis _

I/C Nash __ __ ___

How to stamp yourself as clueless in one easy step!

Huh?

More than half of our available best 22 is 23 and under.

HAW:

B Jiath DGB ___
HB Day ___ Scrimshaw

C Ward Newcombe Morrison
R Reeves/Lynch ___ Worpel

HF McDonald Kosi Moore
F _ Lewis _

I/C Nash __ __ ___
Damn facts. Stop it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruh. We are one of the youngest in the league. How tf aren’t we youthful. Good gameplan and good seniors to direct a good crop of kids.

Bruh. We are one of the youngest in the league. How tf aren’t we youthful. Good gameplan and good seniors to direct a good crop of kids.
Yeah fair enough will put my hand up on this one. Just feels like a lot is still driven by the famous older crop: mitchell, jaeger, sicily, wingard, gunston. But looking at the average age there's no doubt you're also young and I'd give my left nut for someone like CJ.

Yeah fair enough will put my hand up on this one. Just feels like a lot is still driven by the famous older crop: mitchell, jaeger, sicily, wingard, gunston. But looking at the average age there's no doubt you're also young and I'd give my left nut for someone like CJ.
Fact is most of our best 22 is young and there for the future and a lot of good players and a fair few with high ceilings. It’s driven by the kids and steered by the elder statesmen.

Funny you mention those names and not Frost. With the exception of Sicily, he has been our best performing senior player.

Newcombe has been our best and most damaging midfielder all year. Mitchell second. JOM well down on output (some games playing as a defensive mid, sometimes playing on a flank).

Sicily 100% has been a big factor in our competitiveness, but has plenty of youthful assistance in the backhalf, namely CJ and Scrimshaw.

Breust the best of the older forwards. Gunston has been hit or miss. Wingard hasn't had a great run with injury and form. Lewis and Moore have been faraway our best forwards for the year so far (with the latter in AA and the former in the Coleman race pre-injury).

The idea that our season so far is driven by our older crop is doing a disservice to our younger players who have made massive leaps and bounds over the last 12 months as they solidify themselves as senior players, and is not only a lazy assessment but flat out wrong.

Last edited:
I’d have to disagree……

For the record, in his incredibly short career, he’s displayed all the hallmarks of someone who will not be respected in an AFL club long term. That’s what I’m basing my comment on. Youthful w***erishness is only tolerated for so long….
Sounds like a you problem more than a Ginnivan problem

Incoming priority pick

JHF will get a talented player to combine with

Already in our top 3 players

Our youth are carrying our team atm
They aren’t carrying anything though… If Norths youth was as good as you are trying to claim they would be competitive in a lot more games.

They aren’t carrying anything though… If Norths youth was as good as you are trying to claim they would be competitive in a lot more games.
Think of them like gws in its first few years. Technically GC also

Talented and has to carry the average older players but not good enough to be competitive all game yet

Think of them like gws in its first few years

Talented and has to carry the average older players but not good enough to be competitive all game yet
They are barely competitive for quarters yet alone full games, also don’t have a 10th of the talent of early GWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back