Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Yeah agree to disagree on that one. Finals are won by sides with good goal kicking mids, every premiership has them, it’s not just a recency thing. I’m of the view you still need one elite one that you

Hawthorn had no goal kicking mid. Hodge, Lewis and Burgoyne probably combined to average 1-1.5 a game between them.

We did have one of the greatest forward lines ever assembled in history (the GOAT forward line for the AFL era, VFL debatable). Also had Hale and BigBoy who were very good goal kicking ruckmen who would usually combine for a goal a game.

HF: Breust Franklin Rioli
FF: Puopolo Roughead Gunston

Assembling a forward line like that takes an insane amount of luck, astute drafting and development. Probably a lot easier to bank on getting the next Dusty instead of getting the next GOAT forwardline.

So some enquired on what a Comben was last week. Got through another game, hopefully gets a call up to the seniors for the last round.

I don't pretend to know who has the better youth as I don't follow the other sides closely at all.
But I do know that we're no nearly as bad as some would suggest.

Nice grab, if he can get one like that in the seniors it'll be poster worthy stuff.

Hopefully next week, yes I agree with you but as it is about youth. 200cm guys that can leap and clunk them are fairly rare.

For him that wasn't a one off.

I'd hate to be the guy he used as a step ladder...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Crows have 26/44 players 23 and under. They have started all getting games and we finished above North who have been bottom two years in a row. So I think our youth is better than theirs
Crows 18-23 year olds
Chayce Jones (22) - 57 games
Fischer McAsey (21) - 10 games
Lachlan Murphy (23) - 75 games
Jackson Hately (21) - 27 Games
Riley Thilthorpe (20) - 24 Games
Josh Rachele (19) - 13 Games
Luke Pedlar (20) - 5 Games
Jake Soligo (19) - 15 Games
Brayden Cook (20) 11 Games
Zac Taylor (19) 0 games
Sam Berry (20) 34 Games
Josh Worrell (21) 4 Games
Ned McHenry (22) 48 Games
Harry Schoenberg (21) 45 Games
Luke Nankervis (19) 0 Games
Nick Murray (21) 28 Games
James Rowe (22) 35 Games
James borlase (20) 0 Games
Andrew McPherson (23) 28 Games
Patrick Parnell (20) 10 games
Lachlan Sholl (22) 38 Games
Will Hamill (21) 38 Games
Darcy Fogarty (22) 57 Games
Jordan Butts (22) 42 Games
Tariek Newchurch (20) 0 Games
Lachlan Gollant (20) 8 Games

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crows have 26/44 players 23 and under. They have started all getting games and we finished above North who have been bottom two years in a row. So I think our youth is better than theirs
Crows 18-23 year olds
Chayce Jones (22) - 57 games
Fischer McAsey (21) - 10 games
Lachlan Murphy (23) - 75 games
Jackson Hately (21) - 27 Games
Riley Thilthorpe (20) - 24 Games
Josh Rachele (19) - 13 Games
Luke Pedlar (20) - 5 Games
Jake Soligo (19) - 15 Games
Brayden Cook (20) 11 Games
Zac Taylor (19) 0 games
Sam Berry (20) 34 Games
Josh Worrell (21) 4 Games
Ned McHenry (22) 48 Games
Harry Schoenberg (21) 45 Games
Luke Nankervis (19) 0 Games
Nick Murray (21) 28 Games
James Rowe (22) 35 Games
James borlase (20) 0 Games
Andrew McPherson (23) 28 Games
Patrick Parnell (20) 10 games
Lachlan Sholl (22) 38 Games
Will Hamill (21) 38 Games
Darcy Fogarty (22) 57 Games
Jordan Butts (22) 42 Games
Tariek Newchurch (20) 0 Games
Lachlan Gollant (20) 8 Games

I would add Keays, Dawson and Milera into any discussion about youth as they are still young enough to be considered as a part of our next premiership push.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Why not? He is a clearance beast and has the speed to break lines and is damaging.
No-one close to him under 24 IMO. Will only get better.
Will be interested to see what Newcombe is in 2 years time

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why not? He is a clearance beast and has the speed to break lines and is damaging.
No-one close to him under 24 IMO. Will only get better.
I think if you looked at what LDU was doing 2-3 years ago it’s probably on par or worse with what guys like Berry, Schoenberg and Soligo are doing.

Not saying they’ll be as good as him (I think Berry will be though), but you have to look at players performance with the context of their age and experience when judging talent.

Fogarty is a great example. Two years ago his performances were not that great, but his talent was obvious. The question was always whether he’d be able to put it together, he has now. But two years ago to compare him to someone like Hipwood would be ridiculous. Now however, it’s a much fairer discussion.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think if you looked at what LDU was doing 2-3 years ago it’s probably on par or worse with what guys like Berry, Schoenberg and Soligo are doing.

Not saying they’ll be as good as him (I think Berry will be though), but you have to look at players performance with the context of their age and experience when judging talent.

Fogarty is a great example. Two years ago his performances were not that great, but his talent was obvious. The question was always whether he’d be able to put it together, he has now. But two years ago to compare him to someone like Hipwood would be ridiculous. Now however, it’s a much fairer discussion.
None of Berry, Soligio or Shoe have the physical traits of LDU. He’s 189cm, quick, powerful, has elite balance and very good agility. His movement in traffic isn’t something that is learnt.

He’s now just starting to do the things that he did at u18 level which made him such an outstanding junior. When he came into AFL competition, after OP and shoulder reco, he was still showing signs of what he does now in traffic, albeit glimpses.

I rate the three players you’ve mentioned, but surely even the most biased Adelaide supporter can see the differences in Davies-Uniacke physically, to each of them.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

LDU is great, but each club has players who could be as good or better, Adelaide probably have the least likely or least talented young mids (Schoenberg/Berry) who could be there but i'd back in say Newcombe as that type of player (like LDU) more likely. Schoenberg has taken a nose dive year and Berry has looked great but idk about his accumulation at all, looks really poor. He seems a pretty solid kick with pretty good explosive speed, great tackler.

For example, as old mate said, LDU is an unreal size but moves so well, a good kick, explosive, good above head etc.

Newcombe is the only other in the clubs like that, they're pretty hard to find tbf, Newcombe is i think 186-187cm, a very good above head mark (sticky hands), explosive, strong, good kick and moves well in and around traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back